A place for customers to chat about Realmac and its products - RapidWeaver, Clear and Ember!

RW5 and publishing problems

mitchellmmitchellm Posts: 2,885Members, Moderators
I've upgraded to RW5 and have on 2 computers.

One is a MacBook Air that is using a wifi connection. It can publish just fine.

The other is an iMac 27" i7 using an ethernet connection. It won't publish and when I press "test connection" I get the following message:
RWFTPConnectionError
username and/or password was not accepted for login

I'm using exactly the same setup on both computers in terms of publishing settings. I'm even using the same project (well, two different versions of the same project that only differ in very small text changes on some pages).

So what's up? My main machine is the iMac 27, so if I can't use RW5 on it then I'll need to roll back to RW4 immediately.

Comments

• Paul BradforthPaul Bradforth Cornwall UKPosts: 3,336Members
    edited 8:42AM
    That's a very specific error message you're getting there, which is interesting. It's telling you that your username and/or password is wrong. I know you know it isn't, but could it be anything to do with the kind of Keychain corruption that stops people uploading even when they 'know' their details are correct? It seems likely, given that it works fine on the other machine, and the details are identical.

There's an article here which deals with sorting this out, if that's worth a try?
    best wishes

Paul

http://www.paulbradforth.com
    My book "RapidWeaver 5 Revealed" is out now
  • mitchellmmitchellm Posts: 2,885Members, Moderators
    Paul,

I'll look at the article but it's kind of hard to believe that's the problem. Using the same machine yesterday with RW4 I had no publishing problems at all. The only thing that has changed is RW5
    on 1291225737:
    Paul,

I'll look at the article but it's kind of hard to believe that's the problem. Using the same machine yesterday with RW4 I had no publishing problems at all. The only thing that has changed is RW5
    best wishes

Paul

And you're right about the 60 seconds. I read the article. Followed instructions. Still get same error message when using RW5 again.

So, at least we seem to be able to eliminate "keychain access" corruption as the problem.
    on 1291226176:
    And you're right about the 60 seconds. I read the article. Followed instructions. Still get same error message when using RW5 again.

So, at least we seem to be able to eliminate "keychain access" corruption as the problem.

I can't remember exactly what that article said, but did you try deleting all your publishing settings and re-entering them by hand, ie, no copy and paste?
    best wishes

Paul

No I had not done that. So I did and the "test connection" button now works!

Alas, it was an illusion. Then when I actually try to publish I get the following message:

Failed to create remote directory: xlxlxlxlxlxl

Then when I go back to "test connection" I get the previous problem!

This is smelling very much like the launch of RW 4.0 when there were many many bugs upon launch. Clearly something is wrong. I still have RW4 on the same machine and all publishing is working fine with it. For now I have to go back to version 4 unless there's some clear solution from RealMac.
    Oh dear; I'm sorry you're having these problems. Perhaps I should wait until RapidWeaver 5 has been out a bit longer before saying anything else. I'm sure if anyone else is having these problems, you'll hear about it
    best wishes

Paul

Paul: I appreciate your timely support!

In the back of my mind I knew these kinds of things could happen. I remember the first 3 months of RW4 were actually quite terrible. I think RW5 will be better but . . . as you note, it may be wiser for several people to wait for a 5.0.1 or 5.0.2 bug release before upgrading. I realize even with beta testing RealMac can't see all the different scenarios that might happen. And the problems I'm experiencing are not universal
    on 1291229436:
    Or keep both RW4 and RW5 files on your computer and make sure you have a set of files that remain RW4 compatible until you know all works fine with your particular setup.

Absolutely. First thing to do with any new software; make sure you make a copy of your files, maybe by doing a 'Save As' with a different name, and use those until you're happy. I really hope this gets sorted out quickly for you.
    best wishes

Paul

• FabFourFabFour Posts: 25Members
    I'm having kind of the same problem.
    FTP account worked well on RW4; since I've upgraded to RW5 that's what is happening: when I try to publish the site I got the message "FTP publishing error. FTP login failed". Then I'm prompted to the publishing settings. I write down the account, then click on "Test connection". Everything is okay, I click on OK, publish the site. But if I try to publish the site again, after some change, the login fails again and I have to rewrite the account in the settings. Why RW5 does not remember my account?
    This is a definite bug. I reported this to RealMac a long time ago (Dec 1 or 2 to be exact). They seem to ignore this issue. But the big point is you're doing nothing wrong
  • FabFourFabFour Posts: 25Members
    on 1295190004:
    This is a definite bug. I reported this to RealMac a long time ago (Dec 1 or 2 to be exact). They seem to ignore this issue. But the big point is you're doing nothing wrong
  • NikNik Brighton, EnglandPosts: 2,200Realmac Staff
    on 1295190004:
    Nik Fletcher, Product Manager, Realmac Software
    Follow me on Twitter
    Nik: You are correct. My iMac is connected via ethernet, the other two via wifi.

In RW4 the preference "Use NcFTP framework" is checked.
    on 1295202855:
    Nik: You are correct. My iMac is connected via ethernet, the other two via wifi.

In RW4 the preference "Use NcFTP framework" is checked.
    And it's checked on both systems?

Thanks!

-N
    Follow me on Twitter
    Where do I find "Use NcFTP framework" checkbox on RW5? Not finding that option.

BTW, I'm using the very same RW5 file on all 3 computers (transferring via Dropbox). So the document itself isn't changing, simply the computer I'm using.
    on 1295884114:
    Where do I find "Use NcFTP framework" checkbox on RW5? Not finding that option.
    RW5 only uses NcFTP. Hence why I'm trying to find out whether one system is using non-NcFTP whilst the others are using NcFTP.

Thanks

-N
    Follow me on Twitter
    All 3 of my computers are using NcFTP in RW4.
    Thanks for the extra information. We're continuing to look into this.

Thanks

-N
    Follow me on Twitter
  • sorsillosorsillo Posts: 19Members
    RW5 not publishing here either.....
    4 was fine, with 5 not happening!
    Just spent over an hour trying to figure it out...even changed passwords with server....just aint happening and it sucks as I have spent over 60 hours working on this project! :-( Made entirely in RW5... looks like its time to let cyberduck save the day!!!

Hope this gets fixed soon.
    :-)

RW5 is great by the way (other than the little glitch mentioned above)