A place for customers to chat about Realmac and its products - RapidWeaver, Clear and Ember!

[ANN] New RWML Stacks set: Create Multi Language Websites

JoostJoost Amersfoort, The NetherlandsPosts: 889Members
edited February 2011 in Announcements
Hello everyone,

This is such a fully loaded stacks set (and I'm very excited about it's release) that it's difficult where to start and stop explaining all the features in a short forum post...

[span style="color: #75a10d; font-weight: bold;"]Do you create Multi Language enabled Websites?[/span]

[span style="color: #75a10d; font-weight: bold;"]Tired of creating a new RW project file for each Language?[/span]

Then we've got a simple solution for you: the [span style="color: #75a10d; font-weight: bold;"]RWML Stacks set[/span]

rwml.png_1.png

Short description
The RapidWeaver Multi Language Stacks set is a powerful set of stacks featuring the jQuery based [span style="color: #75a10d;"]RWML System[/span]. Base task of the RWML System is to easily turn a [span style="color: #75a10d; font-weight: bold;"]single[/span] RapidWeaver [span style="color: #75a10d;"]project file[/span] into a [span style="color: #75a10d;"]Multi Language enabled website[/span]. So you no longer have to create another project file for each Language. It automatically adds the required HTML Lang(uage) attribute to your content. This is meant to assist search engines and browsers.

It's not only for [span style="color: #75a10d;"]normal content elements[/span] as you are used to with most stacks and plugins.
You can [span style="color: #75a10d;"]also[/span] use it to turn the [span style="color: #75a10d;"]Navigation Menu[/span] of your website into a Multi Language element and use it to Switch to another Language. Besides that the RWML System is [span style="color: #75a10d;"]smart[/span] enough to [span style="color: #75a10d;"]remember the chosen Language[/span] of your website visitors. So when they visit your website again it [span style="color: #75a10d;"]automatically shows[/span] the content in their Language.

Demonstration Video
We
Tsooj Media Stacks, Websites and Office Automation

Prototyping a new web design and in need of some quick random text elements or placeholder images? Try the Lorem Ipsum Utility.
Extend the RapidWeaver publishing features with a custom start or expire date using the Publisher stacks set.
Looking for a free stacks element that comes with a responsive approach?

Comments

• Henk VrieselaarHenk Vrieselaar Lemmer, The NetherlandsPosts: 2,139Members
    edited February 2011
    on 1298922840:
    Extra
    The download package comes with a 20% off discount code for the Updated Mondrian Theme from Henk.
    This update comes with very nice new options and it's available very soon...

Thanks for another great stack, Joost!

Henk
  • SurfingAlienSurfingAlien ItalyPosts: 117Members
    edited 1:16AM
    instant purchase... thanks Joost!
  • GuAnitaDesignGuAnitaDesign Posts: 141Members
    This looks awesome!
    looks easy to use and saves a lot of work since there is no need to make a site twice :)
    great job! thank you Joost!
  • arti.66arti.66 Posts: 83Members
    Cool!
    Any chance to see the instructional video with sound?

Arti
  • JoostJoost Amersfoort, The NetherlandsPosts: 889Members

Henk

Thanks Henk, looking forward to your upcoming theme update ;)

instant purchase

Prototyping a new web design and in need of some quick random text elements or placeholder images? Try the Lorem Ipsum Utility.
    Extend the RapidWeaver publishing features with a custom start or expire date using the Publisher stacks set.
  • arti.66arti.66 Posts: 83Members
    I meant spoken instructions. Background music only if it's not distracting and if you have too much time. ;-)
  • niguliniguli Vicopisano (Pisa) -ItalyPosts: 701Members
    1-2-3 .. purchased !
  • yolanda-yolanda- Santander - SpainPosts: 521Members
    Hello

As you might know I had the pleasure to test this great stack. I have made 3 examples:

example 1 under construction
    example 2 coming soon THREE languages
    example 3 my own site ;-)

As you see I can translate everything and it doesn't matter where it is.
    In the sidebar, the content, a stack, the menu, the contactform, anything.

It was a pleasure to do it, because it is easy and fast, in a couple time I made three.

It really spares a lot of space on your server, because you only translate the the text and don't have to upload again and again the images, banner, logo, theme, etc

Because you have all within the same project, you have a better control of it and you don't have to switch from one project to the other, and only upload this project ones.

Joost made a great demo on his site, but if you need some help don't hesitate to ask I am sure it is possible.

Thanks Joost,

Saludos, Yolanda
  • el mourabbiel mourabbi Zakynthos, GreecePosts: 592Members
    Congratulations Joost, this really, really cool! Just what some of my sites need :-D It's not only practical (one site for all languages etc.) but it also makes the user experience a lot better.

One thing I could not find in your movie or documentation though: it's important to make your meta tags for keywords and description language specific too like:
    <meta name="keywords" lang="en-us" content="strawberries, fruit, health" />
    <meta name="keywords" lang="nl" content="aardbeien, fruit, gezondheid" />
    <meta name="description" lang="en-us" content="my nice site about strawberries" />
    <meta name="description" lang="nl" content="mijn mooie site over aardbeien" />

Fortunately that's pretty easy in RW (see attachment)

Oh, one small suggestion: consider using a build-in RW theme instead of HV-Exposure for the example projects. I own quite a few of Henk's wonderful themes, but not this one :-(

I'm really looking forward to implementing this in my multi language sites.

Jeroen
    meta-tags.png
    653 x 319 - 49B
    If it can't be done the way it should be done, it should be done the way it can be done.
    Visit http://rapidweaver.marathia.com/stacks for my stacks – many of them are Pay What You Want.
  • el mourabbiel mourabbi Zakynthos, GreecePosts: 592Members
    Oops... Just started to play with it and already a problem :-( When I try to use Greek in the menu, I get the following message:
    The document "blablabla" could not be saved
    Is there a solution for this?

Jeroen
    If it can't be done the way it should be done, it should be done the way it can be done.
    Visit http://rapidweaver.marathia.com/stacks for my stacks – many of them are Pay What You Want.
    edited March 2011
    on 1298998812:
    Congratulations Joost, this really, really cool! Just what some of my sites need :-D It's not only practical (one site for all languages etc.) but it also makes the user experience a lot better.

One thing I could not find in your movie or documentation though: it's important to make your meta tags for keywords and description language specific too like:
    <meta name="keywords" lang="en-us" content="strawberries, fruit, health" />
    <meta name="keywords" lang="nl" content="aardbeien, fruit, gezondheid" />
    <meta name="description" lang="en-us" content="my nice site about strawberries" />
    <meta name="description" lang="nl" content="mijn mooie site over aardbeien" />

Fortunately that's pretty easy in RW (see attachment)

Oh, one small suggestion: consider using a build-in RW theme instead of HV-Exposure for the example projects. I own quite a few of Henk's wonderful themes, but not this one :-(

I'm really looking forward to implementing this in my multi language sites.

Jeroen

Thanks!

I was already working on this part and just finished updating the FAQ section and also modified the advanced example project. So if you download the package again you should see the new examples. I've also included the http-equiv content language and some other info into the FAQ section.

on 1299004710:
    Oops... Just started to play with it and already a problem :-( When I try to use Greek in the menu, I get the following message:
    The document "blablabla" could not be saved
    Is there a solution for this?

Jeroen

Can't imagine that this is caused by typing text in a menu Item. But hard to solve without further information, please send me a direct mail with an zipped example project file. That is of course without the text thats causing the problem. Simply put that text into a styled text stack.

Joost

• NormanTNormanT Middlesex, UKPosts: 1,664Members
    Joost,

This looks exciting and of course had to purchase, will have to play around with it and see if I can get this working but amazing stuff and a real bargain. It would also be nice to have some vocal instructions on the video demo as I found it quite hard to know what you were doing.

BTW I have all the themes from Henk and from a very quick opening of one of your example project there are some which do not work or at least do not show up the flags to switch between English and Dutch. As I said early days and it is getting quite late but will turn m attention to it in the next few days.

Regards
    Norman
    Evocator Forum Member with over 1650 posts on the previous forum

Its me, my mac and your money - thats a good combination!!
    edited March 2011
    on 1299025883:
    Joost,

This looks exciting and of course had to purchase, will have to play around with it and see if I can get this working but amazing stuff and a real bargain. It would also be nice to have some vocal instructions on the video demo as I found it quite hard to know what you were doing.

BTW I have all the themes from Henk and from a very quick opening of one of your example project there are some which do not work or at least do not show up the flags to switch between English and Dutch. As I said early days and it is getting quite late but will turn m attention to it in the next few days.

Regards
    Norman

Thanks Norman, i'll be working on a newer version of the video. In some examples the Flags are placed inside an extra content area and the used images are also available as image in the examples folder. I've also created an content alike example for the switch elements. Both images are also placed inside a content stack so that only one switch image is available based on the selected language. Could be that another language than the 2 used is stored by RWML so that they do not show. Try the "Clear settings" page from the advanced example project.

Best,
    Joost

This stack is perfect for multi language pages... but you can also show different slideshows, photo albums, etc. with it.
    This is an example with two different Collage shows, both imported in the RWML stack.
  • baburkhanbaburkhan ItaliaPosts: 301Members
    on 1299061535:
    This stack is perfect for multi language pages... but you can also show different slideshows, photo albums, etc. with it.
    This is an example with two different Collage shows, both imported in the RWML stack.

Eager to check it out, Henk. I am waiting for the update of your Mondrian
    on 1299086930:
    Eager to check it out, Henk. I am waiting for the update of your Mondrian
  • smondellosmondello Los AngelesPosts: 314Members
    on 1298976540:

Henk

instant purchase
    on 1299093167:
    on 1298976540:

Henk

instant purchase

• Jimmy FloresJimmy Flores Madrid, SpainPosts: 117Members
    This stack set is A W E S O M E!!!!!!

Is there anyway to get banner images to change as well? I have a site that has banner images with text in Spanish and would like the banner to change with the language.

You can see the site here http://www.jimmyflores.es but, it's not updated yet with the introduction of the RWML stacks yet but, you can see the banner.

Jimmy
    on 1299251667:

Is there anyway to get banner images to change as well? I have a site that has banner images with text in Spanish and would like the banner to change with the language.

You can see the site here http://www.jimmyflores.es but, it's not updated yet with the introduction of the RWML stacks yet but, you can see the banner.

Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy, I believe that the banner is located inside the Extra Content Container 1. So If you use the Extra Content stack and set it to 1, then drop a RWML Content stack for each language and add your images, that should do the trick.

Best,
    Joost

on 1299252632:
    on 1299251667:

Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy, I believe that the banner is located inside the Extra Content Container 1. So If you use the Extra Content stack and set it to 1, then drop a RWML Content stack for each language and add your images, that should do the trick.

Best,
    Joost

I see what you mean but, I just tried that and it doesn't import into the banner. I am hustling to get this thing translated to upload it to test it out 100%. But as of now, it doesn't seem to act like an EC container.
    on 1299253375:
    on 1299252632:
    on 1299251667:

Jimmy

Best,
    Joost

I see what you mean but, I just tried that and it doesn't import into the banner. I am hustling to get this thing translated to upload it to test it out 100%. But as of now, it doesn't seem to act like an EC container.

Any idea why the Collage2 pages imported are all messed up? http://jimmyflores.es/disenografico/grafico.html
    on 1299266728:
    Any idea why the Collage2 pages imported are all messed up? http://jimmyflores.es/disenografico/grafico.html

Jimmy,

The EN version looks fine, maybe this has something to do with the way you've "imported" them?
    Can you explain how you've created this page?

Try to change the import for the working EN so that the ES collage content is shown in that location.
    If the messed up layout then appears again then the origin is with you collage page.
    Most of the time these layout issues occur when a opening / closing tag for custom span or divs are missing.

Joost

• smondellosmondello Los AngelesPosts: 314Members
    on 1299268777:
    on 1299266728:

Jimmy,

The EN version looks fine, maybe this has something to do with the way you've "imported" them?

Try to change the import for the working EN so that the ES collage content is shown in that location.
    If the messed up layout then appears again then the origin is with you collage page.
    Most of the time these layout issues occur when a opening / closing tag for custom span or divs are missing.

Joost

I need an American flag. Have one?
    on 1299273587:
    on 1299268777:
    on 1299266728:

Jimmy,

Joost

Is there something you need in particular that a google search isn't giving you? That sounds a bit snarky, I swear it's an honest question. Why don't you yank it from my site? Or is it too small?
  • yolanda-yolanda- Santander - SpainPosts: 521Members
    on 1299273587:
    on 1299268777:
    on 1299266728:

Jimmy,

Joost

Hello Smondello,

Hereby I send you an American Flag. Is this what you mean?

Cheers, Yolanda
    USA.gif
    48 x 48 - 3B
    edited March 2011
    Of course you can use google to find images, you can also have a look at these
    http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/flags/
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Search&search=flag+us&button;=

Best,
    Joost

on 1299253375:

Jimmy

Jimmy,

Using the extra content stack in combination with the banner area in the Aviator theme works fine if you use the Slideshow setting for the banner image. Have a look at the attached image.

Best,
    Joost
    Screen shot 2011-03-05 at 11.16.03.png
    1600 x 822 - 375B

on 1299320452:
    on 1299253375:

Jimmy

Jimmy,

Using the extra content stack in combination with the banner area in the Aviator theme works fine if you use the Slideshow setting for the banner image. Have a look at the attached image.

Best,
    Joost

Hi Joost,

Great! It does work http://img228.imageshack.us/i/rwimage2.jpg/ but, I have a little problem now. I have this image style in the style sheet:
    .imageStyle{
        padding: 7px; 
        border: 1px solid #ccc; 
        background: #ddd;
    }

The problem is that it's getting applied to the banner images and they are not lining up correctly because of that, the image gets cut off on the bottom and right edges because of the image style being applied to the top and left edges. See attached images. http://img26.imageshack.us/i/rwimage.jpg/

How can I tell RW to not apply the image style to the imported images?
    on 1299321889:
    on 1299320452:
    on 1299253375:

Jimmy

Jimmy,

Best,
    Joost

Hi Joost,

Great! It does work http://img228.imageshack.us/i/rwimage2.jpg/ but, I have a little problem now. I have this image style in the style sheet:
    .imageStyle{
        padding: 7px; 
        border: 1px solid #ccc; 
        background: #ddd;
    }

The problem is that it's getting applied to the banner images and they are not lining up correctly because of that, the image gets cut off on the bottom and right edges because of the image style being applied to the top and left edges. See attached images. http://img26.imageshack.us/i/rwimage.jpg/

How can I tell RW to not apply the image style to the imported images?

:) I FIGURED IT OUT! hahahah I think this is called me progressing and DEnoobing myself!

I used this code in the style sheet:
    #bannerImport,
    #myExtraContent1,
    #extraContainer1 .imageStyle{
        padding: 0px; 
        border: none; 
        background: none;
    }

Is it correct?
    cap-pantalla 2011-03-05 a las 11.53.27.jpg
    1059 x 328 - 117B