A place for customers to chat about Realmac and its products - RapidWeaver, Clear and Ember!

integrate a XML and CSV Data Feed!

HopChicagoHopChicago Posts: 4Members
Hi everyone,

I am new to website design, so please, be patient with me?

Hotelscombined.com offers a XML and CSV Data Feed of their hotel listings. I want to integrate one of these data feeds into my website so that the hotels can be accessed from there.

Is this possible?

HotelsCombined offers the feeds. But, don't offer any information on how to use them. They just offer downloads in .zip form.

Can anybody help me?

This same question was posted in 2008. But, no one could answer it. I really need an answer or a path to the answer.

Thanks!

http://www.hopchicago.com/

Comments

• lannylanny Posts: 803Members
    edited 5:05AM
    I would process the feed with php. There is (might be) a javascript function but I never used it.

If you are not familiar with either it might not be possible, but perhaps someone else knows a way ... if not, send me the feed address ...
  • HopChicagoHopChicago Posts: 4Members
    Thanks.

As i said, though, it is not a actual feed url. It is actually a download page that distributes various xml and csv files through .zip format.

Here is the page url: http://affiliates.hotelscombined.com/Tools/DataFeedsNew.aspx.

I hope you can tell me more about it.

I really appreciate your effort.

http://hopchicago.com/
    The page you pointed me to is a login page. I assume you log in and then there is a link to the file. This is not easy to automate in RW or any web site development tool. It can be done but it certainly is not within a forum advice scope.

If you download the file manually and unzip it, then integrating into RW would be relatively easy but still require coding. Depending on the size, you could leave it as a csv or feed it into a (mySQL or SQLite) database. Both of these options are processable by simple php code but again, its writing is beyond forums scope.

You can send me a sample file and I will attempt to tell you just how difficult it might be. I
    on 1300719162:
    The page you pointed me to is a login page. I assume you log in and then there is a link to the file. This is not easy to automate in RW or any web site development tool. It can be done but it certainly is not within a forum advice scope.

If you download the file manually and unzip it, then integrating into RW would be relatively easy but still require coding. Depending on the size, you could leave it as a csv or feed it into a (mySQL or SQLite) database. Both of these options are processable by simple php code but again, its writing is beyond forums scope.

You can send me a sample file and I will attempt to tell you just how difficult it might be. I

Thanks for the help! I guess I should start reading up on mySQL. I really don't have any knowledge in that field.
  • David DelMonteDavid DelMonte Washington DC and Skopelos, Greece.Posts: 371Members
    Hi, understand that this isn't specifically a Rapidweaver issue. Getting data streams into a website is something that must be hand-coded no matter what developing environment you are using.

Honestly, it takes time to learn PHP and mySQL, as well as XML. If you want this part performed in a hurry, you might want to consider contracting it. If you want to stay using Rapidweaver, you could go to rapidweavercentral.com and get help.

If you are not in a hurry, time some time to learn PHP and at least XML. I suggest taking a week (at least) and using the lynda.com tutorials.

When you program this, a number of people in this community use Expresso to code their PHP, I use Coda.

Hope this helps

David
    I thought I said that

"This is not easy to automate in RW or any web site development tool"

I use Netbeans. It really helps with the database part.
  • David DelMonteDavid DelMonte Washington DC and Skopelos, Greece.Posts: 371Members
    So you did. You also said "then integrating into RW would be relatively easy but still require coding.". If you are offering to help this person, then say that. But for a person new to web design, this is not easy at all.

My 2¢. Apologies if I offended you. But just to really get on your bad side, I really don't like Netbeans. I don't like programs written in Java.

Other than Coda (which is not perfect at all), I use Navicat for SQL stuff, xmplify to validate my XML streams, TextMate for some coding, CSSEdit for.. I use tools that I find appropriate for the particular job, I have not found a one-size fits all yet..

By writing this, I want to inform the OP that what he is asking for is possible but not trivial.

</rant>
    on 1300727946:
    So you did. You also said "then integrating into RW would be relatively easy but still require coding.". If you are offering to help this person, then say that. But for a person new to web design, this is not easy at all.

I am helping him as we write - it is too involved to be vented on the forum.
    My 2¢. Apologies if I offended you. But just to really get on your bad side, I really don't like Netbeans. I don't like programs written in Java.

No offense taken at all. You are right - sometimes I am too brief and assume that if someone cannot code and I say coding needed, it will be sufficient.
    Other than Coda (which is not perfect at all), I use Navicat for SQL stuff, xmplify to validate my XML streams, TextMate for some coding, CSSEdit for.. I use tools that I find appropriate for the particular job, I have not found a one-size fits all yet..

By writing this, I want to inform the OP that what he is asking for is possible but not trivial.

[/rant]

I use Coda as a default editor for everything. I use NB or Aptana Studio 3 for more complex projects involving database connectors, lots of functions and need for version control. What they are written in makes no difference to me :) though we did produce a web based distributed art collection system in Java as no other tools came even close.

By participating in this forum, I am trying to repay the huge debt I owe to all of of you here for the help at the beginning and throughout my use of RapidWeaver. I sell nothing and have made recommendations of products and services offered by other members.
    By participating in this forum, I am trying to repay the huge debt I owe to all of of you here for the help at the beginning and throughout my use of RapidWeaver. I sell nothing and have made recommendations of products and services offered by other members.

Well said, and me too..

I hope the OP takes our advice. I also hope he is sensible and asks for your help :)

David
    on 1300726897:
    Hi, understand that this isn't specifically a Rapidweaver issue. Getting data streams into a website is something that must be hand-coded no matter what developing environment you are using.

Honestly, it takes time to learn PHP and mySQL, as well as XML. If you want this part performed in a hurry, you might want to consider contracting it. If you want to stay using Rapidweaver, you could go to rapidweavercentral.com and get help.

If you are not in a hurry, time some time to learn PHP and at least XML. I suggest taking a week (at least) and using the lynda.com tutorials.

When you program this, a number of people in this community use Expresso to code their PHP, I use Coda.

Hope this helps

David

Thanks to all of you for all of your advice. It is all valuable.

Fortunately, It is a pet project so I do have time. Unfortunately, I have very limited knowledge on coding. That is why I am using xsite pro 2. And, there source coding is not color code and is usually jumbled tight with know place markers switching from Design mode to Source mode. This makes it hard to interpret, anything.

But, I am learning and I do have time. So, I will take your advice David and go to Lynda.com. I have used it before for 3d Studio Max.

Unfortunately, it is subscription based. Which is fine. Nothing is free. But, since, I have to pay, you may, as well, get paid too. David if you are affiliated with Lynda, please, place the link in the next day or so. So, you can get paid too. If not it is up for grabs for who ever is affiliated with Lynda. I will come back here, tomorrow, before I sign up to Lynda.

Thanks,

http://hopchicago.com/
    Thanks, but I'm not affiliated..

The subscriptions though can be taken for a month or two as needed (I think). You do not have to pay for a whole year. That being said, when I'm trying to learn through them, I find the exercise files invaluable - even though it's more expensive.

I code along with the video, and then when things go wrong - they always do - cause I'm careless - I can compare what I've written to the example.

David