A place for customers to chat about Realmac and its products - RapidWeaver, Clear and Ember!

Freestacks (addon) wishlist

macmaxmacmax Posts: 59Members
edited December 2011 in 3rd Party Theme Support
Dear Charlie, dear SantaClaus,

First of all: I got into Freestacks and it´s the most flexible theme I worked with. Great work!
Allthough: It´s no theme, it is how Rapidweaver should work in general...

If theres no need for extraordinary animation on a page by complicated built-in jquery features,
I could do any of my pages with this theme and addons if there wasn´t this little thing:

I don´t like dropdown or popout menus:
(Permanent visible submenus are helping to get an overview over the content)

This would be my wishlist:

- a SplitMenu-Stack: One for the horizontal menu and one for the vertikal sub menu (f.e. above the sidebar)
(the look of this is possible by some separate menu stacks like "new menu stack" but won´t use the "CMS-function" of rapidweaver)

- a shadow-feature for box or/and text in the Styler-stack would be great!
(I think, there´s enough space in the HUD for that)

- a combined Fixed Width and Hight-Stack to adjust both or just one with the other set to "auto"
(This would also increase the stacks-list in the library :-)

- a Bottom-Stack, which ends/closes the site at the bottom like some extracontent-areas do
(with auto hight to the bottom and overlapping the background. Just like the small sitemap-footers
on commercial pages ... hard to explain... :-) if this is possible by a Stack anyway...)

I won´t need any other theme then :-)

Thanks again for this great theme,
Marcus
RW5 und einen Hauch Schimmer von HTML und CSS

Comments

• arti.66arti.66 Posts: 83Members
    edited 1:41PM
    on 1323788686:

- a Bottom-Stack, which ends/closes the site at the bottom like some extracontent-areas do
    (with auto hight to the bottom and overlapping the background. Just like the small sitemap-footers
    on commercial pages ... hard to explain... :-) if this is possible by a Stack anyway...)

This last one would be the first on my wish list (or if anybody knows a way to accomplish this with custom CSS within the freestack theme, I would appreciate that too).

Best wishes,
    Arti
  • macmaxmacmax Posts: 59Members
    edited December 2011
    Arti,

I just noticed, that Stacks2 is out.
    It features exactly these footers!

I couldn´t figure out jet, wether it comes from Freestack or Stacks2 itself.
    Anyway: This point is solved! :-)

Marcus
    on 1323829323:
    Arti,

I just noticed, that Stacks2 is out.
    It features exactly these footers!

I couldn´t figure out jet, wether it comes from Freestack or Stacks2 itself.
    Anyway: This point is solved! :-)

Marcus
    Hi Marcus,

I have FreeStack and Stacks2 but I could not find such a footer. Are you sure?

Best wishes,
    Arti
  • ColorwaveColorwave A rock in the middle of the Pacific OceanPosts: 1,365Members, Moderators
    I believe Marcus is referring to the new Templates that ship with Stacks 2 (vs. Elements, that we typically know as Stacks). Check the Templates library, to the right of the Elements library and you will find them.
    Hmmm, maybe we are talking about different things and I guess it is my fault.
    I know the 3 different footers in the "Stack Templates library" (new Stacks2 feature). And I know the "FreeStack Footer" (which comes with Blueball's Freestack stacks). As far as I see, all of these are vertically positioned after your content area.
    What I want is a "sticky footer stack" that is always positioned at the bottom of the browser window, even when there is just a small amount of content, like there: www.cssstickyfooter.com

Best wishes,
    Arti
    Aah! Yes.

I thought of the footer that Ron described.

But this sticky Footer would be nice too!
    (btw.: nice Snippet. I tried to duplicate and modify some stacks but it didn´t work.)

Does this css work with any Theme or only with freestacks (which has no footer div in the general css)?
    I think, it will collide with the theme builtIn Footer div or will only show the single line of the page inspector.

Maybe it works with a Freestack Div Loader Stack or code in a css DIV stack
    or even PlusKit to load the content into the (sicking) footer, to have some more freedom in the kind of content there
    without coding on every page or modifiing the general css file.
    However, I will check this out.

Thank you for the tip,
    Marcus
  • ColorwaveColorwave A rock in the middle of the Pacific OceanPosts: 1,365Members, Moderators
    edited December 2011
    I haven't tried it, but I would think the CSS from Arti's link would work with seeInvisible's CSSPro stack.

http://www.seeinvisible.net/products/css-pro/

The templates are nice, clean and easy to use, but nothing you couldn't assemble otherwise. I see them as a convenience, not something that offers new design possibilities.

EDIT: I just took a look at the sample sites shown on that link and they seem to have a different interpretation of the word sticky than I do. I thought we were talking about a fixed footer that content scrolls above. What they show is a garden variety that scrolls with the content above it. Now I'm confused. What's different between this and the FreeStacks footer?
    for the StickyFooter in Artis link, the content will show below the footer,
    so an area with fixed hight will stick (or better: overlap) at the bottom of the page/browser window
    (with it´s fixed position there), hiding the content.

The Freestacks footer actually "closes" the site, sticking below the content in a vertical row,
    so it scrolls with the page as any other part (and out of sight while scrolling upwards)
    AND: will fill the space at the bottom of sites with small hights of content areas (and that´s what I need often)

Yes, two different type of things...

The CSSPro stack is much better than my cssDIV stack, because I can put the code into the HUD instead of placing it in the custom CSS-field... Thanks for this tip!
  • waxhawmacguywaxhawmacguy Waxhaw, North Carolina USAPosts: 409Developers
    edited December 2011
    Hi Marcus,

I just ran across this thread so sorry for being a little late to reply to it. Please see my comments to your suggestions below and keep them coming!

Best,
    Charlie
    on 1323788686:
    Dear Charlie, dear SantaClaus,

First of all: I got into Freestacks and it´s the most flexible theme I worked with. Great work!
    Allthough: It´s no theme, it is how Rapidweaver should work in general...

Thanks for the kind comments about FreeStack! Glad to hear you're liking it so well. Actually it is a theme with a very unique structure and setup that's tied in with its own stacks that place the traditional theme layout elements onto a Stacks page wherever you want them to appear. But you're right in that it's definitely not like a traditional Rapidweaver theme for sure!
    If theres no need for extraordinary animation on a page by complicated built-in jquery features,
    I could do any of my pages with this theme and addons if there wasn´t this little thing:

I don´t like dropdown or popout menus:
    (Permanent visible submenus are helping to get an overview over the content)

This is possible as noted using the menu stack listed in one of the previous posts, but in Rapidweaver's plist file you have to set the nav menu sub levels to display 1 way or the other. If you don't mind editing the plist file you can have this type of menu stack display of the sub levels like you are wanting. I have not come out with this type menu since changing the plist file is beyond a lot of Rapidweaver user's ability to do. If I can automate this somehow for them, then I'll revisit this again in the future.
    This would be my wishlist:

- a SplitMenu-Stack: One for the horizontal menu and one for the vertikal sub menu (f.e. above the sidebar)
    (the look of this is possible by some separate menu stacks like "new menu stack" but won´t use the "CMS-function" of rapidweaver)

Already done and coming to a new FreeStack Add-Ons Pack soon.
    - a shadow-feature for box or/and text in the Styler-stack would be great!
    (I think, there´s enough space in the HUD for that)

I'll revisit this again. Due to problematic IE7 & IE8 support for the property, I did not add this to the hud control set for the Styler stack originally.
    - a combined Fixed Width and Hight-Stack to adjust both or just one with the other set to "auto"
    (This would also increase the stacks-list in the library :-)

Ok this is already available when you use either the Fixed Width or Fixed Height stacks. When you set the fixed width or fixed height in the stacks, the other dimension is set to auto or 100% now. For example, if you use a Fixed Height stack and set the height to say 500px, the width of the stack will automatically fill up 100% of the width of the area the stack is within on the page. Same for the Fixed Width stack whose height will stretch automatically to include the height of all the stacks placed within it. Stacks by default are fluid in width and height. Setting both dimensions would take this fluidity away which is one of Stacks greatest layout strengths in my opinion.

Already done and will be in the next FreeStack Add-Ons Pack #2 release. And by default it sticks to the bottom of the screen window even when resized.
    I won´t need any other theme then :-)

Thanks again for this great theme,
    Marcus
    The All New Blueball FreeStack Responsive Theme Is Here!
    The only theme that gives you 1000s of layouts! Includes 22 FreeStack Responsive stacks, theme variations & more!
    NEW! Blueball FreeStack Responsive Add-Ons Pack 1 stacks bundle!
    Blueball Google Group
    Hi Charly,

half of my customers sites are rebuilt with freestacks in the meantime :-)

The only point of the wishlist that´s left (thanks for the tipp with fixed hight/width-stacks!)
    is to have the possibility to split the menu into a main (horizontal) and a vertical sub navigation.
    This standart setting/layout would mean real freedom with freestacks!

I´m waiting impatiently for the Add-Ons Pack II

:-)

Thank you,
    Marcus