A place for customers to chat about Realmac and its products - RapidWeaver, Clear and Ember!

Welcome to the New Forums!

NikNik Brighton, EnglandPosts: 1,990Realmac Staff
edited September 2012 in Announcements
Hello everyone!

We're pleased to announce that the RapidWeaver forums are back online in a new system! In the course of sorting out the new forums we tried over half a dozen new forum setups to find something that we liked, and settled on Vanilla Forums.

All the user data and posts have been migrated, and the 30,000 or so attachments are currently being re-added to the forum system. Given the number of them, it's still ongoing and they might not be completely back to normal until tomorrow.

The Vanilla set up does work slightly differently, and the homepage displays 5 new posts from each subforum. If you preferred the old style forum homepage, this is still available here:

http://forums.realmacsoftware.com/categories/all

As always your feedback is much appreciated - and if you have any problems signing in just let us know - support@realmacsoftware.com - and we'll get you sorted.

Thanks for your patience and understanding whilst we moved the forum to a new home!

Cheers!

-Nik
Nik Fletcher, Product Manager, Realmac Software
Follow me on Twitter

Comments

• RassilonRassilon Posts: 25Members
    hmm its different but I quite like the 'look' of the new forums, and having the list of forums (categories) down the right hand side is useful.

Lewis
  • LazarovDesignLazarovDesign AustraliaPosts: 615Members
    edited March 2012
    Just great to have the forums back. And big thank you to bringing back the iPhone version :)
    Just curious, how do we change the avatars now? And the signatures???
  • OscarOscar bei ZürichPosts: 6,132Members, Moderators
    Fine, to bring back the forums. Thanks! It looks good on iPad and iPhone.

Me too ;-) Just curious, how do we change the avatars now?
    Grüsse, Oscar

Dabei seit RW 3.
    Threads bookmarken, sonst gibt es leider keine Mailbenachrichtigung!! Bookmarken
    Bitte Threads zu Ende führen, damit wir hier nicht nur Fragen, sondern auch Lösungen finden.
  • NikNik Brighton, EnglandPosts: 1,990Realmac Staff

http://forums.realmacsoftware.com/profile/picture

Cheers

-N
    Follow me on Twitter
    I don't have permission to do that !
    And ... how can I attach a picture? It's very important.
    Grüsse, Oscar

Dabei seit RW 3.
    Threads bookmarken, sonst gibt es leider keine Mailbenachrichtigung!! Bookmarken
    Bitte Threads zu Ende führen, damit wir hier nicht nur Fragen, sondern auch Lösungen finden.
  • kbbruxkbbrux EuropePosts: 986Members
    edited March 2012
    Can html be embedded to the forum or do we have to use another way ?
    Great job on the migration by the way.

edit: Markdown would be a nice option too
    SymfoniP - Premium Stacks Add Ons and RapidWeaver Plugins

• BenBen Brighton, EnglandPosts: 49Realmac Staff
    edited March 2012
    Hi Guys,

Couple of quick points:

1. We're working on the attachments & avatars as I type - _hopefully_ everything will be restored today, but until we're done you may see errors when trying to upload avatars & attachments.

2. Some posts and signatures will display some odd code. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do as the old forum used a different encoding to this new one. We've cleaned up as much as we can though.

3. There's a few display bugs - please be patient, I'm working as quick as I can to get them all done today.

Hopefully you'll enjoy the new forum, there's quite a few nice new features (drafts, questions, bookmarking, etc.) that I think you'll like :)

Thanks,
    Ben
    Ben Counsell
    Web Developer @ Realmac Software

Follow me on Twitter and flickr.
    If you go to:

http://forums.realmacsoftware.com/profile

Are you able to change your profile settings at all?

HTML is not supported for Spam reasons.
    Follow me on Twitter
  • Ed BrennerEd Brenner TexasPosts: 3,332Moderators
    Glad to have them back.

I do like the mobile setup. So much nicer than the old Forum. That's a big plus.
    I'll give Ben a chance to get things sorted before I try adding a avatar.
    myRapidWeaver
    FreeStack Theme
    MacSupportCasts
    { old forum post count = 6128 }
    This is the link to the profile, that will do, and i can change the settings.
    But there is no avatare-option. I can edit Account, Password, Notification and Signature Settings.

Thank you, I can wait ;-)
    Grüsse, Oscar

Dabei seit RW 3.
  • photonphoton Posts: 105Members
    edited March 2012
    Relief - now know what DTs are like!
    Nik is there any chance of bumping the pink up a tone or bold for the poster's links?
    They are a bit hazy on the iPad and some of us may not be up for the new resolution.
    Otherwise looking good and thanks for efforts with upgrade.

Photon
    So, I've spotted 2 "spam" posts already this morning.
    Will "Moderators" have the ability to deal with these? I didn't see the option available.
    myRapidWeaver
    FreeStack Theme
    MacSupportCasts
    Ed: we're still in the process of sorting Moderator permissions. For now - just Flag it and we'll take care of it.

The forum's catching Spam on its own accord also so hopefully this should be reduced all around.

-N
    Follow me on Twitter
    Thanks Nik but the only option I see is to "edit" the post contents. Not sure how to report it?
    myRapidWeaver
    FreeStack Theme
    MacSupportCasts
    I can delete the post but I'd rather not in order to let you guys figure out things as you get the "kinks" worked out.?.
    myRapidWeaver
    FreeStack Theme
    MacSupportCasts
  • mitchellmmitchellm Posts: 2,722Members
    I may be not seeing something, but is it still possible to "follow" a discussion? (I used to be able to follow on the old forum, and when a new post was made I was sent an email alert.) I realize everything is not in place yet, but that was a very nice feature. Wonder if it will still be true now.
  • peterdanckwertspeterdanckwerts LondonPosts: 412Members, Moderators
    I like the new look and hope the new set-up will minimise the spam problems.
  • marianmarian Posts: 1,582Members
    But the forum IS NOT faster!
    Perhaps you should change ALSO the provider?
    Grüße,
    marian
    The seem rather fast here for me.
    myRapidWeaver
    FreeStack Theme
    MacSupportCasts
    Hi Marian

The provider has been changed. Things are still a little slow whilst things move over but seems to be speeding up.

Thanks

Nik
    Follow me on Twitter
  • bmanbman Fort Worth, TXPosts: 839Members
    edited March 2012
    Hi Realmac,

Nice rollout !

Few suggestions: Would it be possible to have embedded images, at least in announcements for some graphics? Also embedded href's would be appreciated. {UPDATE: I figured out how to do embeds ;-) Might be nice to have a how-to for everything. - thanks }

-The post box, although it can be manually resized, it would be nice to have a much larger box height as a default. I hope text color and size control is coming too.
    -And definitely ability to follow discussions :-)
    -Not sure what the difference between post question and post announcement are - would be nice to have a place to describe how to use all the account settings and what they do.
    -Clear all of the 'New' tags so we can see which are actually new and not just those brought over from previous forum.

Thanks, Bill (the info guy)
    RW Vault - Theme Gallery/Theme Vault
    Stack-Its - Innovative Stacks & rwBackup
    Hey Bill ... check the 'Notifications' settings in your account.
    myRapidWeaver
    FreeStack Theme
    MacSupportCasts
  • baburkhanbaburkhan ItaliaPosts: 300Members
    Mmmm… I like it, but I don't seem to be able to discover what to do to answer straight to a post.
  • bmanbman Fort Worth, TXPosts: 839Members
    Hi Ed & Realmac,

So what is the 'Wall' and where is it? Also, I have a number of discussions in 'My Discussions' tab - if I don't enable them by turning them red (bookmark them), then I won't receive any further post notifications?

Thanks, Bill (the info guy)
    RW Vault - Theme Gallery/Theme Vault
    Stack-Its - Innovative Stacks & rwBackup
    That I can't answer Bill. I've never used Vanilla Forum before. So Nik and the crew will have to chime in on the answer.
    myRapidWeaver
    FreeStack Theme
    MacSupportCasts
  • eidelweisseidelweiss Posts: 222Members
    Who is the genius who decided on this new Vanilla forum? This format is totally convoluted!! What is the difference between "Ask a Question" and "Start a Discussion"? Doesn't asking a Question start a Discussion? Duh! Also, where is the option to attach a file or screen shot? And what's with the inability to copy and paste text within a thread? This is really dumb guys. This certainly was not worth the "blackout" we experienced for the last few days. Come on!
    I can see 'Attach a file' below the 'comment' entry box in Safari.
    myRapidWeaver
    FreeStack Theme
    MacSupportCasts
  • David DelMonteDavid DelMonte Washington DC and Skopelos, Greece.Posts: 354Members
    I've always liked Vanilla forums. It will take us a while to get used to it, but we will work it out.

David
    <a href="http://www.bluehost.com/track/eclecktk5">I really enjoy using Bluehost,</a> and they will give me money if you sign up through this link!
  • BioGuyBioGuy Posts: 61Members
    Congratulations on getting this done. That had to be a fair amount of work transferring and converting all that, while also not making users re-register.

I'm sure there are advantages to the old forum and advantages to this one. I guess the most important thing is that it cuts down on the spam, since that was the point of this, or so I thought.
  • PrinteryPrintery Lajas, Puerto RicoPosts: 159Members
    I like the new look & design. But please bring back the new post only session . Thanks, Keep the good work.