A place for customers to chat about Realmac and its products - RapidWeaver, Clear and Ember!

JS-Kit is closing down in 6 months...

moodymoody LondonPosts: 18Members
edited March 2012 in RapidWeaver (Archived)
This is something I have always been afraid of. Echo announced that JS-Kit, Haloscan and Echo Comments would be discontinued on October 1st, 2012.

Well, it looks like my 5 years comments worth is going to be orphaned. Having read the Echo announcement I immediately registered with Disqus but they won't import the JS-Kit xml file. There are some articles on the web for workarounds but they involve scripts (Python, etc) knowledge and de facto manual comment migration. I have probably around 50.000 comments (many of them with attached pics) and around 1200 blog posts. What to do now?

Please somebody write an application to transfer the JS-Kit comments to Disqus. I'd personally pay REALLY good for such thing. There's a chance to make some money for talented developers. I guess many people are left astray now...

Comments

• moodymoody LondonPosts: 18Members
    No replies, I guess everybody has already escaped this sinking boat earlier. I wish I'd had migrated to Disqus when it became available a few years ago.
  • mitchellmmitchellm Posts: 2,873Members, Moderators
    Unfortunately it was clear a few years ago (can't remember exactly how many) that JS-Kit was going down the drain. The developers at JS-Kit wrote some crazy blog piece about the "end of commenting." It was clear in several ways that this platform would not last. Very sorry you stayed with them for so long.

Have you contacted Disqus support directly about possible solutions? For example they have this article:
    http://docs.disqus.com/developers/export/import_format/

This means they provide at least some initial support (for developers) regarding writing import scripts.
    Yes, their too visionery attitude was something that kept me uneasy. I am just wondering how their business choices are going to work for them in the near future...
    It seems Disqus will import a variety of formats. If it does not directly import JS-Kit, do any of the other services (Blogger, etc.) have a way of importing JS-Kit? If so, then you could import to Blogger (example only), then import into Disqus. See attached image for services Disqus imports from. At least worth a try to investigate. (I'm assuming you've looked into options for JS-Kit exporting comments—hopefully they have more than 1 option.)

Screen Shot 2012-03-30 at 7.41.37 AM.png
    914 x 431 - 41K
  • taltonfigginstaltonfiggins Posts: 3Members
    To clarify, users are able to import their JS-Kit comments into Disqus using our JS-Kit import option found here: http://import.disqus.com

Simply select which forum you'd like to upload your comments to and then select the file and JS-Kit format and you should be good to go.

Sorry for not making this option more visible. We'll see if we can change that in the coming weeks.

Feel free to contact us with any other questions: http://disqus.com/support
    198.png
    702 x 182 - 23K
    Very nice. Couldn't find that page. Great to know!
    Perfect! I'll give it a go immediately! Many thanks!
    Unfortunately I got this error message:

Threads: 0
    Comments: 0 (0 new)
    permalink on post does not match other links within channel

I'm sending a ticket to the Disqus support then...
  • taltonfigginstaltonfiggins Posts: 3Members
    edited April 2012
    We recently made some changes to our JS-Kit importer to account for differences in Haloscan XML. If you encountered an error before, sends us a message via our support page and we'll be happy to take a closer look: http://disqus.com/support

Additionally, we've prepared the following documentation to help cover any basic questions that people may have: http://docs.disqus.com/help/118/
  • coolie21coolie21 Brisbane, AustraliaPosts: 27Members
    So has ANYONE managed to successfully export their comments from echo/js-kit to disqus? I am left with an xml file, which can be imported into disqus using their instructions. The comments are on the disqus admin page but are not visible from my blog site. The comments are all unlinked from the original posts. Echo seems to have stripped any permalinks from the original comments so I can't think of any way to manually map them back to the posts. Its a complete disaster.

Is there any way to convert an xml file into something readable, ie extract the comment and title from all the other guff? At least that would be a start.
  • coolie21coolie21 Brisbane, AustraliaPosts: 27Members
    looks like I'm on my own then...
  • EvEv Posts: 109Members
    I'm trying this right now. Did you find a solution?
  • IndochineIndochine Southern CaliPosts: 114Members
    I've got the same issue and no support from Disqus, even though they led us to believe there would be no problem importing comments from Echo. It was a blatant misrepresentation to get users over who they probably imagined would just give up and stay on their platform.