A place for customers to chat about Realmac and its products - RapidWeaver, Clear and Ember!

How to create a Photography Web Site

LK23LK23 Posts: 9Members
I am a photographer and previously used iWeb to create my web site. I have downloaded RapidWeaver on a test basis and, so far, have been unable to create anything similar to what I had with iWeb. It is really pretty simple. A Home Page with my introduction, one photo and links to several categories pages, like Landscapes. Each of those pages would have 16 to 20 photos that can be seen as a slideshow or individually enlarged.

I cannot seem to get past the home page. RapidWeaver has pre-defined sample text and I have not been able to change it. Clicking on the text does nothing.

I would appreciate any suggestions to help me get started.

Would the Home page and each photo category be a page in RapidWeaver and how are they linked?

Also, any suggestions on templates would be appreciated.

I think RapidWeaver will be the best tool, I just cannot figure it how to use it.

Thanks.

Comments

• BikemanBikeman Posts: 327Members
    edited April 2012
    I will try to help get you started. RW is sometimes hard to make the transition from iWeb. It's not a hard to use program but the process is different enough to make it challenging at first. I will address your questions first and then suggest three sources for help in learning RW, other than these forums.

So to let's get to answering those questions.
    I cannot seem to get past the home page. RapidWeaver has pre-defined sample text and I have not been able to change it. Clicking on the text does nothing.
    the window you are looking at is the preview of what your website will look like when seen on the web. To replace the pre-defined sample text you must click the button at the top left that says "Edit" and has a little pencil above it.
    Would the Home page and each photo category be a page in RapidWeaver and how are they linked?
    Yes this is correct. You would add the photo pages by clicking the "Add page" button at the top of the window and selecting"Photo Album" for each category of photo's you want a page for. Rapidweaver will automatically make a menu item for each page you add.
    A Home Page with my introduction, one photo and links to several categories pages, like Landscapes.
    You would add the links to the category pages by highlighting the text on the page and selecting the add link button. To do this you need to once again be in the edit mode by clicking the "Edit" button before highlighting the text. You can either right click the selected text and select "add link" from the pop-up menu or click on the add link button at the bottom left of the editing window. It looks like two links of a chain with a + sign. From that menu you will get a add link window. I am attaching screenshots that will show what options to select there to add the photo page of you choice to the page. You start by clicking on the button that says "URL" in the window and selecting "Page" from the drop down options that appear

[quoteAlso, any suggestions on templates would be appreciated.[/quote]
    Do a search on this forum for photography theme and you will come up with several that will do great, it's a personal preference thing. You could also use non-photo themes too and just use the photo pages as directed above.

Hope this has helped get you started. Here are some resources other than this forum that really helped me get a handle on RW.

rapidweaverclassroom.com/
    Under $20 for a month of access to dozens of videos that explain every aspect of RW.

supportcasts.com/
    Same concept and pricing range as the above

support.realmacsoftware.com/kb/basics-of-rapidweaver
    Rapidweaver manual

paulbradforth.com/books/
    Get the Rapidweaver Revealed book for 5 pounds. It explains all aspects in detail. Saved me from quitting RW a second time when I had quit frustrated once.

Joe Workman also has a upcoming book on RW but it's not out till July.

Hope this has helped get you started.
    -Bikeman

Screen Shot 2012-04-24 at 9.22.04 AM.png
    515 x 323 - 24K
    Screen Shot 2012-04-24 at 9.21.45 AM.png
    515 x 332 - 28K
    Screen Shot 2012-04-24 at 9.23.15 AM.png
    511 x 345 - 27K
  • LK23LK23 Posts: 9Members
    Thanks for the comments. Very helpful.

I have designed two pages, a home page and a Landscapes photo page. On the Landscapes photo page it has this text and I have not been able to change it: Your Album (Click to Change). Is it possible to change this text?

How can I make the photos do a slideshow? The Inspector mentions Flash. Is Flash required?

Can I change the size of the thumbnail images?

Thanks again for the assistance.

Landscapes photo page it has this text and I have not been able to change it: Your Album (Click to Change). Is it possible to change this text?
    When in edit mode double-click on that text, you can then change it to whatever you want.
    How can I make the photos do a slideshow? The Inspector mentions Flash. Is Flash required?
    If you use the bulit in photo page the slideshow option you mention uses flash. It supplies everything needed but flash will not work on iPad, iPhone, etc so I suggest using the free Rapid Album plugin that you can get from smackie.org/software/rapidalbum/
    Once installed it's a page type just like the built in photo album but it doesn't use flash. You turn on the slideshow in Rapid Album by going to the page info tab and clicking the gear button in the upper right corner of the page. Same for thumbnail size changes.
    Thanks again. When I go to the edit mode on the photos page, all I see is a list of my photos and no text.
    Should look like the attached. Green text area is where you would change.
    Screen Shot 2012-04-24 at 8.37.06 PM.png
    1036 x 692 - 131K
    Bikeman,

There is no text at the top of the edit screen. This text: Your Album (Click to Change)

appears on the photo page and each enlarged image page.
    Oops, I found it. I was looking at the wrong column. Thanks that worked.