A place for customers to chat about Realmac and its products - RapidWeaver, Clear and Ember!

Product Request - Stacks for Forms

J. Scott AndersonJ. Scott Anderson Posts: 252Members
edited 7:42AM in Stacks Chat
I keep getting more and more requests for even more complex forms. And often I see requests for forms that go beyond the basic vertical layouts possible with the two current main forms plug-ins we have today (the built-in one and the Formloom). Add to this the huge popularity of Stacks, and I think that there is an opportunity here - Stacks for Forms.

The way I see it, at the moment, there are two possibilities for this. The first is for some enterprising developer to create a set of stacks for the Stacks plug-in. This would probably entail one or two stacks that have the majority of code in them for the storing/sending of the data. The other stacks would represent the various form elements and functions.

Another method would be to make a special version of the Stacks plug-in that only caters to the needs of a form. Then, we would build forms just like we currently build pages. This approach, in my mind, could completely replace FormLoom (or be the new FormLoom) and could even spur stack development much as the current Stacks plug-in does - opening opportunity for creativity and financial opportunity in a whole new area.

Any thoughts on this?
RW 5.X, iMac 22", iPad, iPhone

Comments

• RobertaMRobertaM MassachusettsPosts: 21Members
    edited 7:42AM
    I have been getting similar requests. In fact people go out on the web and find a few forms that they like and want to "replicate" the look of with only a few changes. I can't do it. The current 2 options are form me limited as well. If I were more of a programmer I could probably workaround those limitations but I'm not and can't.

I currently have a request for a form that has texts interspersed among the fields and is in one area two columns of fields.

I can do a lot by using PlusKit, but I don't want to wind up with 2 separate forms on one page.

Anyway, It would be great to get a solution that works with or like Stacks.
    on 1286631428:
    I keep getting more and more requests for even more complex forms. And often I see requests for forms that go beyond the basic vertical layouts possible with the two current main forms plug-ins we have today (the built-in one and the Formloom). Add to this the huge popularity of Stacks, and I think that there is an opportunity here - Stacks for Forms.

The way I see it, at the moment, there are two possibilities for this. The first is for some enterprising developer to create a set of stacks for the Stacks plug-in. This would probably entail one or two stacks that have the majority of code in them for the storing/sending of the data. The other stacks would represent the various form elements and functions.

Another method would be to make a special version of the Stacks plug-in that only caters to the needs of a form. Then, we would build forms just like we currently build pages. This approach, in my mind, could completely replace FormLoom (or be the new FormLoom) and could even spur stack development much as the current Stacks plug-in does - opening opportunity for creativity and financial opportunity in a whole new area.

Any thoughts on this?
  • BlueskyyBlueskyy DownunderPosts: 81Members
    Yes Indeed.... Even if one of the developers started with a simple 'Email Signup' form ...just the basic two fields - First Name - Email address --> I would buy it in a flash, and Im sure so would many other stacks users! ..... Any Takers!?!?! ... :)
  • TappoTappo Lago Maggiore - ItalyPosts: 518Members
    edited October 2010
  • RobertaMRobertaM MassachusettsPosts: 21Members
    Yes... thank you. I in fact bought it. Like the previous post I want to support any efforts in this direction. However, in this case I really need some flexibility in layout. By having to lay this form out vertically as a single column I wind up with a super long form. For now I am just living with it and asking my customer to do the same.
    on 1287271944:
  • LazarovDesignLazarovDesign AustraliaPosts: 663Members
    on 1287288670:
    Yes... thank you. I in fact bought it. Like the previous post I want to support any efforts in this direction. However, in this case I really need some flexibility in layout. By having to lay this form out vertically as a single column I wind up with a super long form. For now I am just living with it and asking my customer to do the same.
    on 1287271944:

You may also want to check FormsToGo here
    http://www.bebosoft.com/products/formstogo/overview

and then import the code in stacks. Haven't tried myself but I think will do what are you looking to do :)
  • Will WoodgateWill Woodgate Devon, UKPosts: 1,152Members
    on 1287305734:

You may also want to check FormsToGo here
    http://www.bebosoft.com/products/formstogo/overview

and then import the code in stacks. Haven't tried myself but I think will do what are you looking to do :)

FormsToGo should work fine in a Stacks page. I know of at least 1 person who purchased FormsToGo and got it working fine via RapidWeaver / Stacks. It's not a drag-and-drop approach, but with some knowledge you can build some very good forms with it, and paste the code into a project. There's a couple of different versions available (PHP is probably the most useful one in a RapidWeaver environment), and they sometimes appear on MacZot at half price.

Here is a screencast on FormsToGo setup in RapidWeaver.

I've also had someone ask me about putting together some form stacks (it may have been someone in this thread). The problem I could foresee is that although making some form stacks would be easy, it would be particularly problematic to have those stacks chained together and act as a single form. It would be difficult to tell the PHP code which parts of the page relate to the same form and ensure all the data is sent.

However if just a simple set of ready-made form stacks are required like email signups, an options box, poll or comments form, then these would be possible. Ultimately it would depend what expectations people have, which would govern it they are do-able or not and how feasible they are. But like other developers, I'm open to suggestions! ;-)
  • Ray CutlerRay Cutler Darwen, United KingdomPosts: 483Members
    +1 for FormsToGo

I have used it for years even before I used RapidWeaver. Its very flexible. There are some good tutorials for using F2G with RW

Ray
    Rapidweaver 5.4 / 6.0
    Mac OSX 10.10

Intel Mac Mini i5
    Intel MacBook Pro i5
    iPad Air
    HTC One (M7)