A place for customers to chat about Realmac and its products - RapidWeaver, Clear and Ember!

First Webpage

cjelleycjelley Posts: 23Members
edited 7:54AM in Site Critique
Posted here a few weeks back and I was having some trouble with rapidweaver, this is my first attempt at making a webpage.

I am redesigning www.mcgsurge.com my new site in progress can be seen at
www.stickelmeister.com/mcg2012

Please tell me what you think. I would like your input on what you like, what you think I should change, etc...

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Still using a decent amount of space holders. (Waiting on copy)

Comments

• cjelleycjelley Posts: 23Members
    edited 7:54AM
    50 views and no input? :/
  • Peter ThorntonPeter Thornton Brisbane AUSPosts: 169Members
    Your test site won't load...
    I Love Rapidweaver
    Visit My Website for examples of my Rapidweaver Creations | AlienLabs
  • dadamadadama Posts: 9Members
    Since I've also been working on a site for an small industrial company I will provide my two cents, but I am by no means an expert web designer.

Several elements that I like about the original site:
    - the navigation buttons are informative and easy to distinguish from the header.
    - the content immediately told me what the business is without having to read any text, which I believe is key to any business site. Ironically, this immediately makes me want to read more.
    - the site is very well designed to an industrial market.

In comparison, I found the banner on the new site to overwhelm the rest of the page. Perhaps try removing the black X from behind the banner to create some white space between the banner and the nav bar. I would also look at adding more content on the home page and strengthening the content by using stronger (e.g., bold or different) fonts for the topic headers and make the body text larger. Finally, I suggest renaming your page titles (e.g., page1, page2) in the Page Info HUD to match the navigation titles (e.g., products, applications, etc).

Perhaps it is just me but one thing I have noticed about using Rapidweaver is that many of the 3rd party themes have more creative flare (e.g., large banners, fancy nav buttons and sidebars, rounded corners, etc.) than you would expect to find on an industrial site. I found it particularly challenging to find a theme for a site that I have been working on, just 5 posts below yours. I am looking for feedback myself so please feel free to return the favour (I've had over 80 hits with no feedback).

Cheers and Happy holidays.
    on 1324649754:
    Your test site won't load...

Sorry the test site was down. It is now back up at www.stickelmeister.com/mcg2012

Thanks
    on 1324676347:
    Since I've also been working on a site for an small industrial company I will provide my two cents, but I am by no means an expert web designer.

Several elements that I like about the original site:
    - the navigation buttons are informative and easy to distinguish from the header.
    - the content immediately told me what the business is without having to read any text, which I believe is key to any business site. Ironically, this immediately makes me want to read more.
    - the site is very well designed to an industrial market.

In comparison, I found the banner on the new site to overwhelm the rest of the page. Perhaps try removing the black X from behind the banner to create some white space between the banner and the nav bar. I would also look at adding more content on the home page and strengthening the content by using stronger (e.g., bold or different) fonts for the topic headers and make the body text larger. Finally, I suggest renaming your page titles (e.g., page1, page2) in the Page Info HUD to match the navigation titles (e.g., products, applications, etc).

Perhaps it is just me but one thing I have noticed about using Rapidweaver is that many of the 3rd party themes have more creative flare (e.g., large banners, fancy nav buttons and sidebars, rounded corners, etc.) than you would expect to find on an industrial site. I found it particularly challenging to find a theme for a site that I have been working on, just 5 posts below yours. I am looking for feedback myself so please feel free to return the favour (I've had over 80 hits with no feedback).

Cheers and Happy holidays.

Thanks for the input I plan on doing a lot of work on the website this week. I will take all of this into consideration Thanks again!
  • Karate DucatiKarate Ducati Boston Massachusetts AreaPosts: 74Members
    I like it...yes the logo is a bit too big, but I like websites that are clean and easy to find what you are looking for, Zen like. Yours does that for me. I dislike websites that are busy. When I go to a website I want it to look professional and have what I am looking for clearly visible. Yours does that.. just shrink the logo a bit.....
    on 1325711322:
    I like it...yes the logo is a bit too big, but I like websites that are clean and easy to find what you are looking for, Zen like. Yours does that for me. I dislike websites that are busy. When I go to a website I want it to look professional and have what I am looking for clearly visible. Yours does that.. just shrink the logo a bit.....

I completely agree with you. In my opinion the old website is way too busy. I want this to be clean and to the point. I am going to work on new banner images for all the pages and I will hopefully have that all done by the end of the week. I will take your idea into consideration and shrink the logo down a bit. Thanks!
    on 1325711322:

Hey, can you tell me what you think about the logo now? I went over about 50 different setups and Im liking this one the best so far. Any input?

Thanks
    Chris
    I am interested in making some of the headlines on the homepage such as AC PROTECTION, DATALINE PROTECTION, DC & LOW VOLTAGE, etc. into hyperlinks but I would like to keep the red bold text instead of a traditional blue hyperlink, can anybody instruct me how to do this?

Thanks in advance!
    Chris
  • ronoironoi Essex, UKPosts: 109Members
    Hi there,

You can change the colour of the hyperlinks on the page in the Page Inspector.

Go Page Info - Styles - Website Colours and find the one that says Body Content Links and change it to the Red your after.

It's a nice looking site so far, the Logo in the banner area is a bit big, but it looks like it's coming along.

I looked at the About Us Page, and noticed that the picture of your premises has a Black and White Sign on the building and uses a slightly different font? I wondered if the company is going for a slight re-brand or if the website has always used the red / black / white colour scheme?

For me, i fi had an established business with a company logo and colour scheme already in place, i would continue to use it, but that's just me.

I built a site for a private hire coach company in the UK recently using the same theme (www.smcoaches.com) if you fancy checking it out for any ideas etc.

Good luck with the site.

Cheers

Chris
  • alvin9247alvin9247 Posts: 2Members
    Actually I don,t think so like this.
    I have not any opinion yet.
    air conditioning