A place for customers to chat about Realmac and its products - RapidWeaver, Clear and Ember!

U TILITY - NEW from NCD Themes!

2»

Comments

• m.mm.m heppenheim.dePosts: 142Members
    edited 2:02PM
    on 1294430615:
    I'm limited to the RW generated description feed that goes with each picture - but yeah that would be cool.

Thanks for the response.
    I am looking for a cool product catalog with no payment function.
    U TILITY could be useful for this..., but a description is required to do so.
    on 1291373926:
    Nick this is great for graphics presentation and not just for photo events.
    Can also see its potential for product catalogues in conjunction with alternative site theme. Photon

Please try out: U TILITY for the blogpage, the name could be B LOGO :-)

The date has no function, not displayed, just forget.
    No slideshow effects, just a database, indexed with category and tags, as navigation in 2 lines on the top.
    The startpage (blogmainpage) shows only the blogtitle (or the summary with a small selfmade thumbnail in it) in 4 columns.
    The permalink brings the product, with pictures, text, comments, @import stacks...

Short: blog without date

The blogpage has an unexpected great potential, it's only a matter of the listing - and you design the best themes!

Matthias
    : tvs | hhc | mnbg.shop | 221
  • emmanuelaemmanuela greater nyc areaPosts: 9Members
    This is a truly beautiful theme.

The major defect, from the perspective of a professional photographer, is the lack of protection for the photographs: all can be dragged and dropped from the screen, unlike with the better slideshow plugins available in RW. I wasn't aware of this, before uploading my site with U tility, as the Rapidalbum slideshows I've been implementing, to date, do not permit this.

Going beyond the parameters of iPhoto (which is not an application most professional photographers utilize) reduces the capacity of the theme.

Also, the font mapping is a bit buggy, according to the W3C CSS validator.

So, while U tility gives a stunning presentation, I'm having to remove it from my site, and am in search of a new theme, while learning the intricacies of a new application for Adobe.

Sigh.
  • rodsteelerodsteele Posts: 169Members
    edited March 2011
    on 1301064822:

The major defect, from the perspective of a professional photographer, is the lack of protection for the photographs: all can be dragged and dropped from the screen, unlike with the better slideshow plugins available in RW.

That's not a "major defect" at all, it's just how it goes online.

Show me any alleged "copy protection" for images and I guarantee that I'll have that image downloaded to my hard drive in full quality in less than one second. Copy protection for images is worthless. The only way to truly prevent your images being downloaded online is to not upload them at all.

And besides, what's to worry about? I make images for a living, and upload the best ones to my site, unwatermarked in decent res. If someone wants to download them I'd be flattered and grateful that they like my stuff. I want my images to be seen and enjoyed by as many people as possible, not hoarded away behind some kind of arcane attempt at DRM.

Just sayin'.
  • emmanuelaemmanuela greater nyc areaPosts: 9Members
    on 1301068093:
    on 1301064822:

The major defect, from the perspective of a professional photographer, is the lack of protection for the photographs: all can be dragged and dropped from the screen, unlike with the better slideshow plugins available in RW.

That's not a "major defect" at all, it's just how it goes online.

Show me any alleged "copy protection" for images and I guarantee that I'll have that image downloaded to my hard drive in full quality in less than one second. Copy protection for images is worthless. The only way to truly prevent your images being downloaded online is to not upload them at all.

And besides, what's to worry about? I make images for a living, and upload the best ones to my site, unwatermarked in decent res. If someone wants to download them I'd be flattered and grateful that they like my stuff. I want my images to be seen and enjoyed by as many people as possible, not hoarded away behind some kind of arcane attempt at DRM.

Just sayin'.

Understood.

As a woman who has been writing code and building websites by hand for nearly 20 years, your point comes to me as neither news nor much of a debate.

That being said, most photographers would prefer the top level design function of not having their photos easily dragged and dropped from the screen: this leads to a greater number of stolen and fraudulently displayed works than when thieves must take the time to screenshot the works, or use more lugubrious means.

Though we do have copyright protection laws, battling over where our stolen works appear on the web is a tiresome process, for most professional photographers.

RW embeds code to cloak email address from spam, though the source code is visible, and only effective against bots. The same argument applies: anyone who wants can spam the visible email address; it's just one nice layer of coding people prefer.

Once a coding preference becomes standard, end users like to expect at least that much reliability, on their sites.

I notice you're not implementing the U tility theme, so I imagine we're discussing only the merits and demerits of image protection.

For you, it's fluff. For others, it's an industry standard.

The discussion is about as fruitful as debating whether flash is "dead": it's a matter of preference.

I prefer the reliability of certain standards in coding as, I've mentioned, do most professional photographers.

Just sayin'.
  • unluckytoeunluckytoe SF Bay AreaPosts: 197Members
    edited March 2011
    I am using U-Tility for my photography site (still in the works), and when it comes to the photographs I display, I only display those that I wouldn't care if they were copied. For my clients, I have their portfolios locked down as they need a username and password to access.

Brian
  • Nick CatesNick Cates IDAHO, USAPosts: 152Members
    on 1301064822:
    This is a truly beautiful theme.

The major defect, from the perspective of a professional photographer, is the lack of protection for the photographs: all can be dragged and dropped from the screen, unlike with the better slideshow plugins available in RW. I wasn't aware of this, before uploading my site with U tility, as the Rapidalbum slideshows I've been implementing, to date, do not permit this.

Going beyond the parameters of iPhoto (which is not an application most professional photographers utilize) reduces the capacity of the theme.

Also, the font mapping is a bit buggy, according to the W3C CSS validator.

So, while U tility gives a stunning presentation, I'm having to remove it from my site, and am in search of a new theme, while learning the intricacies of a new application for Adobe.

Sigh.

I appreciate the comments Emmanuela, while agree with most your points, I don't make claim that U Tility is "the" web solution for professional photographers, it's for users that don't like the normal Photo Album formatting and want something nicer. U Tility's purpose as described on the demo site is to "completely overhaul RapidWeavers built-in Photo Album" - which it certainly does if you compare other themes that format Photo Album vs. U Tility.
  • unluckytoeunluckytoe SF Bay AreaPosts: 197Members
    Hi Emmanuela:

I was thinking about what you said this weekend and I may have a solution for you, while it's not "perfect", it works. Here we go...

Create your photo album page and make the width of 620px (this is the max recommended width) by 412px

Using this CSS, replace the loading.gif with a transparent png:
    #loading {
    background: url("http://yoursite.com/path/topng.png";) no-repeat;
    height: 432px;
    }

Now bring the transparent png forward:
    #slideshow span.image-wrapper {
    position: inherit;
    }

Now when the page loads, the code will not allow the picture to be dragged and saved. However, if you are playing the slideshow, the png will disappear briefly before the next image loads. During this time, you can drag and copy, so as I said, not perfect. I only tested this on FF and Safari, so I'm not sure about IE. I'm going to implement this on my site and test, just thought I would pass it along. I attached the png if interested.

BTW, I'm no coding guru, I was just shooting from the hip when I figured this out.

Brian
    pro.png
    640 x 435 - 2B
  • zmcneezmcnee Posts: 2Members
    I'm having a hell of a time importing the U tility photo album page I've build into blocks as suggested on the NCD website. All I get is the generic Photo Album style pictures... any thoughts from anyone?

I noticed someone on here successfully @imported with stacks. I'd love to know how that worked.

Bottom line, I really just want the photo album features of U tility with my own theme (which is NCD Vienna incidentally). It should not be this hard to pull off. Perhaps I'm doing the @import wrong. The lack of detailed instructions for setting this up is disheartening.

Help!
  • stan68stan68 Essex, UKPosts: 329Members
    on 1326275472:
    I'm having a hell of a time importing the U tility photo album page I've build into blocks as suggested on the NCD website. All I get is the generic Photo Album style pictures... any thoughts from anyone?

I noticed someone on here successfully @imported with stacks. I'd love to know how that worked.

Bottom line, I really just want the photo album features of U tility with my own theme (which is NCD Vienna incidentally). It should not be this hard to pull off. Perhaps I'm doing the @import wrong. The lack of detailed instructions for setting this up is disheartening.

Help!

I presume you are using different themes within one project? It therefore sounds like the style of the Vienna theme is taking precedence
    "They say Rome wasn't built in a day, but I wasn't on that job" (Brian Clough)
  • zmcneezmcnee Posts: 2Members
    Yes, Vienna is my main theme for the whole website and U tility is simply what I want to use for the photo album features. Using blocks to @import the photo album page does not work as it's supposedly intended to and thus far I've gotten nothing useful from Nick Cates in response which is incredibly frustrating considering I dropped $30 on this thing.

I love love love the design but there has to to be better tutorials or customer service for these type of products.

Anyone who has any helpful ideas, I'm all ears. All I'm trying to do is use the photo album design features of Utility with another NCD product!
  • stan68stan68 Essex, UKPosts: 329Members
    on 1326416314:
    Yes, Vienna is my main theme for the whole website and U tility is simply what I want to use for the photo album features. Using blocks to @import the photo album page does not work as it's supposedly intended to and thus far I've gotten nothing useful from Nick Cates in response which is incredibly frustrating considering I dropped $30 on this thing.

I love love love the design but there has to to be better tutorials or customer service for these type of products.

Anyone who has any helpful ideas, I'm all ears. All I'm trying to do is use the photo album design features of Utility with another NCD product!

i think you are trying to do something that can't be done, what you need is a photo album plugin that works like the photo album in U tility
    "They say Rome wasn't built in a day, but I wasn't on that job" (Brian Clough)