A place for customers to chat about Realmac and its products - RapidWeaver, Clear and Ember!

(ANN) Bigfoot Legend Stack & Templates

MartenMarten Edinburgh, Scotland, UKPosts: 1,311Members
edited February 2012 in Announcements
[a href="http://www.rapidweavercentral.net/bigfoot/bigfoot-rapidweaver-footers.php"]a]Megafauna Meets Megafooter

Let's face it: since the Dawn of Time footers in RapidWeaver themes have been pretty tame. A single line for your copyright and contact link and that's it.

As the rest of the web luxuriated in penthouse footers we RapidWeavers could only look on in envy and dream of footers we could fill with useful links and information we wanted to appear on every page and help enhance our SEO.

Then a new age dawned in the evolution of RapidWeaver as out of the primordial swamp rose Extra Content. Suddenly footers were delivered from the jaws of extinction as theme developers gave us the potential to explore our wildest Big Footer dreams.

However, the means to build them — easily — has always eluded us.

Until now!

Welcome to the Bigfoot Legend

Now with the miraculous birth of the Stacks 2 star bringing new light and hope to our RapidWeaving dreams, all the natural conditions are at last in place for monster footers to finally propagate in the wild.

Bigfoot Legend is a collection of deep footer templates. At their heart beats the Bigfoot stack.

The Bigfoot Stack is the versatile link builder that gives you pixel-perfect style and precision at the heart of your design and makes your job so much easier! It's also a great standalone stack for those of you who want to design and build your own big footers with drag and drop ease.

So step back from the brink of extinction and lead your footers out of the darkness into the light. Dare to dream once more because now you can make your big footer dreams come true!

Check out our templates, watch our movie, and buy into the Bigfoot Legend and have some RapidWeaving fun!

Marten

Comments

• Ed BrennerEd Brenner TexasPosts: 3,332Moderators
    edited February 2012
    How do you get just the Stack? I have no need for the templates. And is it a 'sticky' type footer?

Update - Thanks to a response from Will Woodgate on Twitter the Templates are bundled with the stack.
    myRapidWeaver
    FreeStack Theme
    MacSupportCasts
    { old forum post count = 6128 }
  • stan68stan68 Essex, UKPosts: 329Members
    edited 12:19PM
    wow, this is bloody brilliant!
    "They say Rome wasn't built in a day, but I wasn't on that job" (Brian Clough)
  • DeFliGraDeFliGra DenmarkPosts: 838Members
    Here you go... make us all feel bad about our one-line footers.
    THANK YOU... and congrats on your release :)
    The templates are a great bonus to the stack.
    Impressive work...
    <cheers> DeFliGra | Stacks for RapidWeaver Stacks Plugin </cheers>
    http://www.defligra.com · http://www.vissenbjergtryk.dk · http://www.iloveodense.dk
  • nostrildomusnostrildomus Posts: 83Members
    Just downloaded this wonderful stack. I can't praise Marten (@ rapidwever central) enough for his lightning fast response to my questions. I highly recommend throwing this stack (&stack; templates) into your grab bag:) Thanks again Marten !
  • sassafrassassafras The Jersey ShorePosts: 173Members
    Marten, great stack, and well done promo copy to boot. I was chuckling away while reading it over...
    michael
  • BioGuyBioGuy Posts: 66Members
    on 1329979076:
    Marten, great stack, and well done promo copy to boot. I was chuckling away while reading it over...
    michael

No kidding. Make sure you see the "exclusive video" of Bigfoot in the wild, linked in the FAQ section.

That was excellent! :D
  • FabioFabio Posts: 145Moderators
    Wow
    very amazing stack.
    Congratulation Marten
  • RW NewbieRW Newbie Posts: 125Members
    edited February 2012
    Hi,

Just purchased Bigfoot. Downloaded Bigfoot and templates to RW.

Opened project, Add a stack page. Selected Bigfoot from Stacks 2. Where do I find the associated Templates and how to add one to the stack and preview? I don't see them and I searched all over RW. Help. Please

Thanks

PS - after initial download of Bigfoot, I did restart RW. Still don't know where to find templates though. Appreciate any enlightenment. Thanks.
  • paalsenpaalsen NorwayPosts: 137Members
    on 1330027320:

PS - after initial download of Bigfoot, I did restart RW. Still don't know where to find templates though. Appreciate any enlightenment. Thanks.

Hi

Your templates are here:

30kzjo2.jpg
    What I hope that happens after this launch, is that even more developers start to create templates and not just stacks. There is great potential for this I think.

Paalsen
  • WesleyWesley BelgiumPosts: 588Members
    Beautifully done Marten! Seems like a must have stack/templates collection. Will inspire other developers as well :)
    Newest Stacks from WeaverAddons:
    + 3D Carousel Stack
    + Slidorion Stack
    + CSV + XLS Grid Stack

Free Utility : WeaverDetect : Detect theme, plugins & stacks used on any page.
  • RW NewbieRW Newbie Posts: 125Members
    Thank you Paalsen.

Helps to look in 'Stacks Template' section, then searching throughout 'Stacks Element'.

Have a great day!
  • seanpmacseanpmac Posts: 126Members
    Hello,
    Not sure what I'm missing....but how does one drag and drop to create your own bigfoot footer with this stack? I see the links...and add a button... but not able to drop other stacks inside this bigfoot stack....

Thanks in advance....

Sean
    on 1330040831:
    Hello,
    Not sure what I'm missing....but how does one drag and drop to create your own bigfoot footer with this stack? I see the links...and add a button... but not able to drop other stacks inside this bigfoot stack....

Thanks in advance....

Sean

Hi Sean

Take a look at this video :-)

Paalsen
  • mitchellmmitchellm Posts: 2,818Members, Moderators
    edited February 2012
    It would be helpful if this movie were provided in a way that people could download it. Apparently it is sized 1280 x 720. Within a web browser it's very difficult to watch if using a laptop. You either miss what's going on at the top, or at the bottom (and these areas are important in the movie). I think it's fine at full size, but having a way to download would allow us to play on computers in QT without all the other "stuff" that we have to deal with via a web browser. (The full screen option at the website also doesn't seem to work particularly well with a browser.) Alternatively a smaller versioned movie could work fine. But I honestly gave up on watching the movie as it was too difficult to do so on my computer: probably works fine on my 27" iMac, but haven't tried that yet—and for many the option of watching on a bigger screen isn't an option.
    I have no problem watching it in FF on my 15" mac even if FF does not cover my entire screen.
    But I think that's the diff between a 15" and a 13" (which is what I have). I can "almost" watch the full movie, but not completely. So that when the cursor goes to the template area or something else towards the top I can't see what's happening, or I have to scroll up, then down (and wiggle all around) to follow the movie. Quite distracting. (Not complaining about the content of the movie, just the practicality of watching it in a sane uninterrupted manner.)
  • YvoneYvone PhilippinesPosts: 1Members
    I have also noticed that..:-)
  • MartenMarten Edinburgh, Scotland, UKPosts: 1,311Members
    edited February 2012
    Thanks for all your fine words and comments.

I have now updated the FAQ section here to include a link where you can download the movie. You can also download it here. (Right or Control-Click and Save To Disk. It is 32MB) I will convert it to a more universal format tomorrow.

I will also be releasing more instructional movies in the coming weeks — with voiceover — that will give an even more detailed look at what you can achieve with the Bigfoot Stack and Templates.

Marten
    Marten,

Many thanks! This is perfect.

As someone else mentioned, you are providing a unique product: combining a stack with a variety of templates. I hope other folks (or you yourself) continue to develop work like this. This is exactly the kind of product that can save a lot of time and make a website better. Making much better use of the footer area is something I hadn't considered before, but I may end up re-thinking how I use my sidebar and other facets of my web designs given this very elegant way of making the footer a powerful design tool.
  • doralevichdoralevich Great Neck, NYPosts: 367Members
    Marten,

Thank you...what a great useful stack! So pleased and really like the way that stack developers are headed. Keep up the great work...If you build it...we will come!
    Yes I saw the video for the templates....I was talking about "roll your own" I guess thats not the case except for making links... It also would be cool if you could change settings to edit the templates say to turn on and off parts of a template or remove number of links.......

I like the stack but thought the basic stack did more, and wasnt really interested in the templates unless we could edit them..
  • BioGuyBioGuy Posts: 66Members
    edited February 2012
    on 1330063681:
    Yes I saw the video for the templates....I was talking about "roll your own" I guess thats not the case except for making links... It also would be cool if you could change settings to edit the templates say to turn on and off parts of a template or remove number of links.......

I like the stack but thought the basic stack did more, and wasnt really interested in the templates unless we could edit them..

Yeah, I'm confused as well. The templates are definitely nice, and I wasn't too surprised those weren't open to editing.

But, I don't even understand what to do with the Bigfoot stack. How is that used to build objects like the templates when it doesn't appear that you can add anything to it? What does it provide that I don't already have in Stacks2?
    edited February 2012
    Templates are by their very nature inflexible objects, and in this case are designed for Weavers who don't necessarily have the design skills (or time) to create their own complex layouts.

There is still a great deal of flexibilty possible with the content that you insert in the template. However if I made it possible to adjust the layout of the templates then they would no longer be templates. Which is why I included the Bigfoot Stack as a standalone stack, so that people with greater skill who want to design their own complex footer layouts can do so using the great tools now available in Stacks 2.

A footer without links is not a footer.

Although there are other menu and link builders out there — for instance DeFliGra's excellent Another Menu Plus — none of them are like the Bigfoot Stack, which has been designed and refined to work simply yet stylishly in the kind of big footer situations which demand a more subtle approach to custom link building.

Before Bigfoot Legend, building a complex footer in a RapidWeaver theme required a huge amount of time and an understanding of HTML and CSS beyond many Weavers. The Bigfoot Stack now means even novice users can build complex footers.

Marten
  • chamberschambers Worcester UKPosts: 128Members
    Marten... Excellent work! I also love the marketing page as well, very slick.
    Bought it without hesitation, looking forward to see what you do in the near future.

Thank You
    chambers
  • NezNez Posts: 92Members
    Bought purely because of the marketing page! Hilarious! =)
  • chamberschambers Worcester UKPosts: 128Members
    Good to have a bit of fun in these forums!
    chambers :)
  • figoryfigory CaliforniaPosts: 466Members
    I too thought the marketing page was absolutely brilliant, and as a result bought it instantly!
    Also really happy to hear about more instructional movies in the coming weeks — with voiceover —
    I find that tutorial videos literally save me hours !

Thanks!
    www.garyweis.com
    Yeah agree, it's a fun purchase, more RW marketing genius ...and yes never thought you could do editing on templates....and what you can do adding buttons colors sizing etc is what I expected....but I also expected something with the basic bigfoot stack... which again all I see is some links. to add and subtract and like Bioguy mentioned what makes this any different than what we can do using stacks2 already???????

Martin, also for what you do with your informational app, if it was just a bag of jpg files of nonsense I would still buy it to support what you do..... I just was set on "rolling my own" and was left stuck like I was sold an exclusive bigfoot rare video ! lol////

Well I will wait to see how this stack plays out and the videos that you will be doing......Now that said ... the included templates are real nice....I hope you offer more, and even a few with less link entrees but same amount of different options if you get what I mean...

And again, if there is more than one can do with the basic stack by dragging and dropping into the stack like posted ....I apologize but I'm having problems grasping that!

Sean
    but I also expected something with the basic bigfoot stack… which again all I see is some links. to add and subtract and like Bioguy mentioned what makes this any different than what we can do using stacks2 already?

Hi Sean,

I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you say you expected something different. It is what it is. Perhaps you could give me an idea of what you expected, so I can tweak my marketing spiel.

Anyway, to my mind, what makes Bigfoot Legend different is defined by my liberal use of the operative term 'easily'. Sure, you can get fairly close using the tools already existent in Stacks 2, but 'fairly close' is relative and can also be the difference between gold and silver, first and second, winner and loser. It is certainly not the same as exact. Bigfoot exemplifies what makes great Stacks great: ease and speed.

However, I also believe what sets Bigfoot Legend apart is the bigger picture. It is more than just the sum of its parts, it's a concept, a different way of seeing and utilising footers in RapidWeaver projects. I'm not saying big footers are a new or original concept, they're not — they've been around for years in platforms like Wordpress. But not so in RapidWeaver. And for a closet Big Footer fetishist like me, they have always presented a time-consuming challenge.

Back Story

When I launched the new rebranded RapidWeaver Central website last year the big footer I had then was a purely HTML and CSS construct that took me several days to perfect. Like any crazed zealot with a need for absolution, I determined then to bring Bigfoot to the masses.

My initial Bigfoot Legend was a package of RapidWeaver project files and CSS snippets. But then I learned about the Templates that would feature in the new Stacks 2. This inspired me — along with a little encouragement from Tommy Hansen and Will Woodgate — to take on the challenge of building my first stack.

I Confess

I built Bigfoot Legend because I'm a Big Footer fetishist. I drool over footers. And in the same way that some people judge a person's character by looking at their shoes, I judge people's websites by their footers.

Even though many websites seem to treat footers as something unpleasant stuck to the bottom of their shoes, I see them as a vital element of the website's structure and design. Combined with a good content strategy big footers have the potential to become a nexus for directing and redirecting the flow of visitors through your site.

And while others regard footers as little more than basements where they store broken toys and furniture I see them playing a far more powerful role, not least in SEO internal linking terms. Footers are present on every page, which means they are the ideal place for sign-up forms, business and contact info, social network icons, sitemap navigation links and links to valuable resources, legal and privacy pages. If used as part of a site's content strategy, they can play a valuable part in reinforcing a company's image, while increasing visitors' stay and activity on your site.

Be that as it may, and to finally answer part of your question, the templates are merely the first step in what I hope will be a long and fruitful journey. Who knows where the Bigfoot Legend will lead — I hope it will continue to be written and driven by the wishes and demands of Weavers like you.

But please bear in mind that, like you, I am also confused. At the beginning of any journey down 'least trodden paths' — and Stacks Templates are definitely still unexplored territory where there may indeed be dragons — our sense of adventure tends to override our fear of the unknown. And so it should: life would be exceedingly dull if we all knew where we were going. For me it's always the journey that counts, not the getting there. So if I ever find out where Bigfoot Legend is going I'll let you know. Until then, enjoy the ride!

Marten
This discussion has been closed.