A place for customers to chat about Realmac and its products - RapidWeaver, Clear and Ember!

NEW: Gutenberg Stack

msabenemsabene Connecticut, USAPosts: 1,277Members
edited March 2012 in Announcements
gutenberg.png

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to announce the release of my latest stack: Gutenberg.

Gutenberg was designed to re-create the beauty of printed media on your website.

Main features:

- Automatically flows text into up to 5 columns
- Optional, customizable column dividers
- Automatically creates optional, fully customizable, drop caps including drop shadows that also work in IE...
- Can include any standard Styled Text content, such as formatted text and images
- Tested in Safari, Firefox, Chrome, and IE8+
- Requires Stacks 2

I invite you to get more details on the product page and check the demos to see what Gutenberg can do for your page.

I've attached a few screenshots here to get you started...

I hope you find Gutenberg to be a useful addition to your RW toolbox.

Cheers,
Mauricio
RWExtras
RWExtras: Simpler webdev, one stack at a time...

Comments

• ColorwaveColorwave A rock in the middle of the Pacific OceanPosts: 1,442Members, Moderators
    edited 4:21AM
    This is a great addition to the Stacks arsenal. It's flexible, easy to use, and offers quite a lot of control. Even if you have no need for an initial cap, the column flow alone is worth the price of admission.

In a nutshell, it's just what you'd expect from Mauricio. My only question, is why he would name his stack after the star of the movie "Police Academy"?
  • ColorwaveColorwave A rock in the middle of the Pacific OceanPosts: 1,442Members, Moderators
    Since I didn't include a smiley with my last comment (I have an allergy to them), I should probably add a postscript to my last comment that was made in jest, so people don't' think I'm an idiiot.

I know that the stack was not named after Steve Guttenberg, the B movie actor. It was named after Eli Gutenberg, the inventor of the cotton gin.

-Ron

PS: I've tried it with Google web fonts and it works like a charm, for either the drop cap, body text, or both (as long as you have the correct info in the Page Inspector, as usual for web fonts).
  • msabenemsabene Connecticut, USAPosts: 1,277Members
    on 1331446845:
    I know that the stack was not named after Steve Guttenberg, the B movie actor. It was named after Eli Gutenberg, the inventor of the cotton gin.

Although you are absolutely correct, I can't give you full credit for your answer because you failed to phrase it in question form. Sorry ;-) Oops, a smiley, don't feel bad...

Cheers,
    Mauricio
  • bigcharlesbigcharles Massachusetts, USAPosts: 337Members
    Still on fire :-)

Congrats, Mauricio - a nice addition. Keep up the fine work!

- C

via iPhone
  • LazarovDesignLazarovDesign AustraliaPosts: 665Members
    Thanks a lot for this wonderful stack Mauricio. Using Google Fonts with this stack is so easy-peasy :) This one will definitely replace my stock "Text" stack.
  • baburkhanbaburkhan ItaliaPosts: 308Members
    Just a quick note to announce the release of my latest stack: Gutenberg

Very elegant, many thanks. I am happily using it for my reviews of books and interviews to writers (in italian). One thing, though: I have tried to embed a 2 column Gutenberg page in Speech Bubbles by Joe Workman: all the text is moved to the second column and the first stays empty.

See example ok (no Speech Bubble)
    Very nice, Mario!

Unfortunately, nesting "active" stacks can result in unexpected behavior...

Cheers,
    Mauricio
    Unfortunately, nesting "active" stacks can result in unexpected behavior...

That's what I thought, but just the same I wanted you to know. There could be a way out. In any case I like very much Gutenberg and will extend it to all my reviews and interviews (a lot!) :)

Mauricio has helped me immediately, but I already mailed him that in fact Gutenberg works perfectly embedded in Speech Bubbles.
    The problems appear embedding it in Xpander.
    I am trying to use Google fonts for the Caps. The result is very good if the font has a (so to say) compact name (i.e. Allura, Sail). But nothing to do (for me) with fonts whose name is in 2 o 3 parts (Josefin Slab, Old Standard TT). Am I doing something wrong? I have tried also "Josefin Slab" and Josefin+Slab, but to no avail. Some help, please. MTIA
    edited March 2012
    Just enter the name of the font without any quotes and it will work fine.

For some reason, RW will not show the Google font in preview mode however, if you preview in FF or Safari, it will work correctly.

Cheers,
    Mauricio
    Screen Shot 2012-03-22 at 7.55.41 AM.png
    368 x 416 - 38K
    Screen Shot 2012-03-22 at 8.01.41 AM.png
    367 x 413 - 43K
    Aaaaahhhhh… many thanks. I did not think of this. I simply checked the page in Preview.
    But in Preview you see very well the "Allura" "Sail" and so on: the Google Fonts whose name = only 1 word.
    Now, in FF and Safari I see all the fonts, even if checking things in Safari is a real pain you-know-where. You have to empty the cache every time.
    Many thanks again. The stack is really gorgeous
    I am not sure why Preview works correctly with single-word font names only... I'll look into it to see if there's a solution.
    If you ignore the quotes and just type in Josephibe Slab (as it is here, without the + sign) it will preview in RW. Very, very odd, but it works fine here :)
    edited March 2012
    Very, very odd, but it works fine here

Branko

No, Branko, if the name of the font is composed by 2 or more parts (Josefin Slab, Playfair Display, Old Standard TT and so on) you do NOT preview it in RW: you have to preview it in FF or Safari. You preview in RW only if the name is in 1 single part, like Allura, Sail, Arizonia and so on. At least here and evidently also chez the very kind Mauricio :)

EDIT: See here with font Old Standard TT (left: preview in RW - right: Preview in FF)
    3.jpg
    1144 x 671 - 360K
    No baburkhan :)

This is the screen shot from the RW preview here. And you can see what I did in the next screenshot :) Works like a charm.
    Screen Shot 2012-03-23 at 7.48.29 PM.png
    739 x 619 - 81K
    Screen Shot 2012-03-23 at 7.49.02 PM.png
    527 x 232 - 23K
    Ohhhhh, yes, Branko, it's true, many, many thanks. So the instruction from Google to write
    <link href='http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Allura|Sail|Josefin+Slab:400italic|Arizonia|Kaushan+Script|Old+Standard+TT|Playfair+Display' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>

I mean Josefin+Slab and Kaushan+Script and Old+Standard+TT and Playfair+Display and so on is WRONG!
    This can be useful for other people.
    Many thanks again
    That's very strange however, it does work without the + sign between words in the font name...

Thanks!
    Mauricio
  • shukapawshukapaw AlaskaPosts: 1,906Members
    edited March 2012
    Eli Gutenburg, in addition to being the inventor of one of my favorite beverages, Cotton Gin, also lobbied congress to enact a law to save the lowly + sign. During his lifetime he observed the steady decrease in the size of the herds of + signs which roamed wild. He feared that his grandchildren would never have the opportunity to see a + sign in the wild. It is as a result of his tireless efforts that coders have now removed the requirement to add the + sign between the words in a font's name in this stack. Every time you use this stack, you can feel good knowing that a + sign was not used (or should I say, "abused") needlessly.

Thought you'd like to know

Brian

LOL, Brian. I'm a fan of Cotton Gin, too, but hate the way it get's stuck between my teeth.
    Cotton Gin? What's it? One more reason to be happy to be italian :D
    Hmmm. Hopefully Brian and my attempts at humor are helping to keep this nice little stack from Mauricio in the public eye here on the forum and not an unwelcome circus, but some humor doesn't translate well.

Admittedly, I started us down the "wrong" path with my inane comments about the namesake of this stack. It was named for the guy who freed the monks from manuscript illumination chores and gave them more free time for rosary counting, but I wrongly conflated his name with a B movie actor and Eli Whitney, the inventor of the cotton gin that was the first product to make commercial cotton production possible. Brian took the bait, and made a pun with the term Cotton Gin. There is no drink by that name, only gin. I'd like to say that I am sorry, but some of us have no shame.

Now that that is behind us, let's discuss how Mauricio has made it possible to get great, self-flowing columns, flexible dividers, optional drop caps with adjustable drop shadows, and sliced bread.

PS: Baburkhan, I missed the first reason why you are happy you are italian. Food, art, italian women? Some countries get all the breaks.
    PS: Baburkhan, I missed the first reason why you are happy you are italian. Food, art, italian women?

Reasons? We have millions, from the Times of Ancient Rome down to Ferrari, not to forget Leonardo, Michelangelo, Galileo and Marconi (among the thousands)…