A place for customers to chat about Realmac and its products - RapidWeaver, Clear and Ember!

Smart Grips for iPad Accessory Site

iSightsiSights Posts: 61Members
edited 1:54AM in Site Critique
Just finished a Smart Grips for iPad site using RapidWeaver 5, Elixr's Crisp Theme, and Stacks. Any comments?

site-thumbnail.jpg

http://www.smart-grips.com/index.html

Comments

• giacomo_itgiacomo_it ChicagoPosts: 107Members
    edited 1:54AM
    Your iPad Is Beautiful… So Why Hide It In An Ugy Case?

you forgot "l" you mean ugly?
    www.archisesto.com
  • maxsuttmaxsutt Redditch, Worcestershire, England, UKPosts: 66Members
    edited March 2012
    ..first thing ive noticed is you don't have a proper contact us form..just an email link...big no no to be honest.

Also your Facebook link is incorrect..its just linking to Facebook generic log in screen, whereas i'm assuming you have a Facebook page that you have created?...link should take you straight there (with log in option showing over the top if you arent logged in to Facebook)
  • iSightsiSights Posts: 61Members
    on 1331119213:
    you forgot "l" you mean ugly?

Amazing how many times you and others proof read something and you still miss simple things like that. Thanks.
    on 1331127573:
    ..first thing ive noticed is you don't have a proper contact us form..just an email link...big no no to be honest.)

Why? Here's some info from Seth Godin:

"I just went through the hassle of trying to get some B2B firms the details needed to give me an informed quote on a project.

I visited eight sites. Six of them hide their email address. They use forms of one sort of another. One firm refused to accept more than 500 characters in the "how can we help you" box, while three of them wanted to know what state I was in, etc.

Email contact is like a first date. If you show up with a clipboard and a questionnaire, it's not going to go well, I'm afraid. The object is to earn permission to respond.

If you sell something, set up an address like "sales@xyz.com". Put this on your home page, "contact us if you're looking for more information or a price quote." Sure, you'll get a lot of spam, but deleting spam is a lot easier than finding customers. (Hint, ask your IT people to make it a mailto link, with a subject line built in. That way, you can use the subject line to find the good email)."

If I were doing a software support site that wanted to make sure I had system information and so forth then a custom contact form would be the way to go. I'm not.
  • glamourbombglamourbomb Posts: 5Members
    edited March 2012
    Maybe it's different in my situation. I no longer post my email or my phone number on-line. Instead I use the Contact form and Google Voice number respectively. I do this because of the massage therapy services that I provide can often be mis-perceived as sexual rather than therapeutic. So this is an effort to protect myself from inappropriate and unwanted customers. I'm a sole proprietor and I don't want some perv calling me directly in the middle of the night or emailing me obsessively all day. First date or no, I need the ability to screen my customers. My two cents.

(Nice site, by the way.)

P.S. I should mention the site linked in my profile is not my main professional site that I'm discussing here.
    on 1331209387:
    (Nice site, by the way.)

Thanks. This just illustrates the fact that there are no hard and fast rules. Different situations have different needs and require different solutions. Actually, I probably would have used the RapidWeaver contact form, had it not required PHP on the back end.

Like your site designs too. Curved nav bar layout is very nice. Hadn't seen that done before.

BTW, the Etsy link on the Olivia sample page errors out, saying that there's an Etsy "hiccup". Could be just because it's a demo.
  • glamourbombglamourbomb Posts: 5Members
    Wow. You're awesome. Thanks for checking! Indeed Etsy has had problems all morning .

Why are you opposed to PHP? I'm pretty tech illiterate, but even I was able to grok the implementation of it. It was dead simple. But maybe I'm missing something here?

Oh, and BTW...I just put in my order for the new iPad. Woo! Good luck with your sales. I anticipate they're gonna be off the freakin' hook!!!
  • thinkfilmthinkfilm third stone from the sunPosts: 209Members
    I think you've done a really good job on the site too. I have a question: the buttons for Facebook, Twitter, Email, etc. -- are those made with the Sweet Button stack? And what/how did you use to link the email button to a form?

Overall, very nice job.
    on 1331355620:
    I think you've done a really good job on the site too. I have a question: the buttons for Facebook, Twitter, Email, etc. -- are those made with the Sweet Button stack? And what/how did you use to link the email button to a form.

Nope. Just added code from AddThis.com. Thanks for the comments.
    Made a few layout and sidebar changes, including the free iPad contest. Anyone have ideas on ways I can increase conversions and sales?

• Karate DucatiKarate Ducati Boston Massachusetts AreaPosts: 74Members
    Appreciate you time on my sites...... I thought I would give my two cents critique of your site...
    First its very nice looking and informative of what you are selling.....

of course we look at what is not so "good" when critiquing so....

The side bar with the "Just the Facts"..... I think it would be less busy and stand out better if you used bullets and/or bolded all the first words (Smart Grips)....

Regards,

John

• Karate DucatiKarate Ducati Boston Massachusetts AreaPosts: 74Members
    Also.... a "Back to Top" link at the bottom would be helpful, seeing your front page is long...
  • SwipedigitalSwipedigital Posts: 36Members
    Pretty good man! Although I personally think there's to much to read and not allot to look at! Pictures sell products after all! Its missing that WOW factor. But a great effort never the less! Elixir do make some really good themes!
    The images page is rather poor! I would have much bigger images and would have taken some more interesting shots! I don't think three images cuts it some how. Considering they are already seen in your first page, and look better in the sideshow! How about some video?
    Just out of interest this site has been designed for a typical web browser on a computer and not for a tablet device! Dont you think most of your customers will be browsing on their ipads for a product like this? Smaller pages would be better! I had allot of scrolling to do on mine and not much to interact with. Keep up the good work anyhow! Well done!
    @Karate Ducati : "The side bar with the "Just the Facts"..... I think it would be less busy and stand out better if you used bullets and/or bolded all the first words (Smart Grips)...."

Ummm... think about what you just said. It would be less busy... if I added another graphic element (bullets) or added bold text to every line. (grin) Sometimes less is more. The "just the facts" block is a supporting element, not the main attraction.

@Swipedigital : Smart Grips is one of several quick and dirty sites I'm playing with that are more or less "spaghetti" sites. You throw them up on the refrigerator and see what sticks.

RapidWeaver makes doing 'em pretty painless, as opposed to creating an entire design from scratch.

Unfortunately, it's not a "wow" product from a photographic standpoint. I mean, they're basically a couple of plastic strips. If the product seems to catch on and as such worth the added expense, I plan on upgrading the photography with some more models using the product. I might hide the photos page till then.

As to "too much to read", again, the product isn't photogenic, so the words have to carry the story. In this case, the outdented headlines and graphics are pretty scannable bullet points, and the user can easily drop into the text if something catches their eye.

Finally, while tablets are used more and more for reading, orders still come mostly from desktops and laptops, since filling out forms on a tablet is a pain. Will work on a responsive design if and when orders appear.

Thanks for your thoughts.
  • ·[RapidBase]··[RapidBase]· Bingen am Rhein, GermanyPosts: 674Members
    Hey, what a coincidence ... :-) I'm also selling iPad- and iPhone-related protection stuff and made my website with RapidWeaver and RapidCart: www.shuffleskins.de

Best, Matthias
    FichtMedia // Print- & Web-Dienstleistungen
    Schulungen & Workshops für RapidWeaver!
    RapidBase // Das RapidWeaver Info-Portal
    shuffleskins.de // Mein Schutzfolien-Onlineshop
    Changed the introduction to be more factual and less "used car salesman." Any comments?