CMS Solutions w. Foundation: Armadillo? Dropkick? Other?

I also want to add that my CMS is fully integrated with RapidWeaver. You can both preview and edit the actual live data from the site directly from inside RapidWeaver. It works exactly how you would expect a RapidWeaver CMS to work.

@joeworkman I know about Page Safe but I already have is a database of about 250 people with, amongst other things, their email addresses and passwords. I want to use that to grant various levels of access to particular pages, including pages generated from that same database. I donā€™t think Page Safe is the right solution for this particular problem and, unfortunately, there doesnā€™t seem to be any other RW solution at the moment, unless one includes SiteLok.

@peterdanckwerts obviously a setup like that does not really fit into the use case of what most user need. Therefore in your case, Page Safe is not a good fit. Sitelok is definitely going to be your best bet.

Sorry to everyone that this discussion on CMS got derailed. I will try to make my comments relevant to the discussion.

Realmac does not collaborate with me on Foundation. Its my product 100%. The guys at Realmac feel that I have done a good job with it, therefore they have help promote it. They do the same thing for other addons as well.

The only reason that I brought up Foundation is because you mentioned that you wanted complete control. Foundation lets you do that. If you have a grudge with Foundation, then you can use FreeStack or Bootsnap and have similar amounts of freedom with those. My CMS will work in any theme.

I did not say that Foundation SEO Helper was the solution, only that it made things easier. In fact, SEO Helper will be released pretty soon outside of Foundation so that everyone can benefit from it. I have never claimed it to be the one stop shop for SEO. Again, if you reviewed the videos where I cover it, I state up front that this only helps with one piece of the puzzle. Everything that SEO Helper does, you can do natively inside RapidWeaver. It simply makes it easier for you.

The reason that I mentioned it, is that is also works very well with my CMS. You can allow your clients to edit all of the SEO meta data on the page. Obviously this is not something that you would do for some customers. But its nice to have as an option.

A majority of the site built with RapidWeaver are for small and medium sized websites. I am willing to bet that 99% of the sites made do not and should not require a database. This was one of my goals of my CMS. I wanted to create a CMS that was easy and powerful. Databases are hard for the average user. This is why it was my #1 goal to not use a database for my CMS or Page Safe. Even at the cost of it not being a perfect fit for the 1% of the sites where a database would make sense.

The RSS feeds that are generated by the Total CMS feed stack does produce valid RSS. Why would I ship an RSS product that does not?

My CMS product is built to solve the needs of the majority in the RapidWeaver community. I do not try to solve everyones needs. This is why its awesome that we have options from other 3rd party developers.

2 Likes

I spend a couple of days to test Total CMS and I think itā€™s awesome. It will change the way I built websites with RW.

I donā€™t know how fast Wordpress CMS is, but Galleries, Slideshows and Feeds are lightning fast with Total CMS. I also work with Armadillo, that ist great too. Armadillo is simple to set up very easy to use, but it is a different kind of product. The latest 2.x version of Armadillo allows a very simple CMS that is ready to use at every Stack page. In my eyes Armadillo is first an awesome Blog Stack with a CMS option.

Total CMS is the toolbox to design and build a complex CMS Site by using Foundation, FreeStacks, Bootsnap or any other Theme. At the moment some of the Total CMS Stacks are not so complex as other Stacks from Joe Workman, but this is a brand new product that works. Iā€™m sure the first update will fix some bugs, add some new features and maybe we will get the missing blog stackā€¦

BTW, PageSave and Armadillo donā€™t like each other. Iā€™d tried to protect a Armadillo site with PageSave, but at the moment as I added a PageSave Stack to the site, the server starts a loop reloading of the site.

1 Like

@WDA Have never used Armadillo, but does it make the page PHP? If not, PageSafe will, and if you add it to an existing page that is index.html, then that is what will happen. You need to go on your server and remove the index.html page from the server.

The page was PHP and there is no index.html at the server. I also tried to place PageSave to a extra ā€˜Entryā€™ site, with the same result.

Hmm, what version of the stack do you have?

PageSave version 1.2.5

I have seen some other users have conflicts with Armadillo and Page Safe. But no one ever seemed to care enough about it to help look into the issue. Shoot in an email if its something that you feel is important for you.

Iā€™ve found @joeworkmanā€™s SEO Helper very helpful.

2 Likes

Hi Joe, does this mean that youā€™re no longer supporting PageLime CMS?

We sill still support it but I do not think that I will be offering the stacks for sale much longer. PageLime has been in maintenance mode for years now. They donā€™t add anything new and I have received many complaints about their support.

Shame, weā€™ve had no problems with it at all. Oh well, better get saving my pennies.

If you are happy with PageLime, you are welcome to keep using it. There is nothing forcing you to change. Just wanted to make sure that is clear. :smile:

I use Armadillo with foundation, powered this site, there is still a little bug, when adding pages to the foundation Topbar, but a new version in the next days should solve this. I already contacted the creator of Armadillo.

1 Like

Interesting thread. Too bad it didnā€™t help me at all. I still donā€™t know what direction to go with a CMS solution.

1 Like

Iā€™m struggling to see what any of the others do that Armadillo canā€™t, so with the price difference, that was the one I invested in. If youā€™re cleverer than I am and you can, then go for it.

2 Likes

The new 2.5 Version of Armadillo is amazing. The new released stacks allow to use it much more as a full CMS and not only for a Blog. Hats off for this updateā€¦

2 Likes