Collapse stacks in library?

Maybe I am missing an obvious button somewhere. I used to just collapse parts of the Stacks 2.5 library that I was not using but now seems no way to do that.

Since this collapse-feature has caused severe performance-issues in Stacks 2 (hey, you notice how fast Stacks 3 is now…?) this option has been omitted from Stacks 3.

1 Like

Well, that is a choice that was made for us without regard for our personal preference.

Usually, you work with only a few stacks at a time. It would be nice to have the rest of the library collapsed, so that we do not waste time running up and down the list of the entire contents of the library. That is much more taxing for the performance than clicking the collapse triangle. Am I crazy thinking that way?

You don’t sound crazy to me. I know nothing about what affects performance. But maybe they can come up with some way to hide sections that we are not using. I really liked the collapse feature.

Why not use the favorites feature for this if you want a sub set of the stacks that you use most often. Then select them as the display filter for the stacks window. Toggle back to main display when you need one of the stacks you use less often.

good feedback. thanks. perhaps there’s room for improvement here in the future. thanks.

1 Like

Actually I, too, would like to be able to collapse stacks in Library. For example when I was fooling around with Blueball’s Freestack stuff, I acquired a bunch of stacks. However I don’t use those at all now, and REALLY would like to have the option of just collapsing them and get them out of scroll’s way. For me, performance is slowed down by having to scroll through stuff I no longer use.

It sounds like the current solution is to simply duplicate everything you might use in Favorites, and leave out everything you no longer use. However that doesn’t make sense, since I will want to only put my most-used stacks in Favorites.

My solution to this is to use search, it is UBER fast in S3 and if I need a stack that is not in one of my groups, I search.

2 Likes

That only works if you can remember the name/author of the stack you are looking for! I frequently scroll through my stacks to say - OK, I’ll try that one. I’ll see something I haven’t used and think to myself “let’s see how that might work for this idea”. Especially for stacks I use infrequently, or can’t remember what they do.

But with Stacks 3 Tag system that developers hopefully will put to great use, it is even easier. You do not even need to search for the name of the stack or author, but just a general idea of what the stack does and it should work.

YES!! Bring on the TAGS guys! Let’s get some organization going here and make use of the structure that Isaiah has provided.

3 Likes