RapidWeaver as replacement for iWeb

Hi there,
I am a genealogist, and I have built a rather large web-site in iWeb containing stories, pictures and history aobut my ancestors. One of the features I have used a lot i iWeb is its ability to wrap text around pictures.

iWeb is no longer supported and some functions seems not to work anymore after OSX is upgraded to El Capitan.

So I have two, for me very important, questions:

1. Is there an easy way to migrate iWeb sites to RapisWeaver
  2. Does Rapid Weaver offer the possibility to wrap text around pictures

Hoping for your help.

Best regards
Peter

hi there @peterkroman, unfortunately you cannot migrate the iweb site to rapidweaver. you will have to do “by hand”. but fear not, you can do it all by copy/paste. if you go with rapidweaver - and you should because it’s the best app for mac around - be sure to purchase stacks 3 at the same time. stacks will make your life so much easier. and yes, there are stacks where you can wrap text around pictures. as a matter of fact this function is also implemented in praidweaver “basic”. but i stronly recommand you get “stack 3”.
happy weaving, tomas

To piggy-back on what @tnittner stated, if by “wrap text around pictures” you mean left-floating or right-floating images, then, yes, that’s a native Rapidweaver function. If you mean centering an image inside a body of text and have it wrap around, well, that’s a different kettle of fish. There may be a “stack-for-that,” but I haven’t looked.

Yes, Stacks 3 can make your site-development life easier, and for most things you’d want to do, is pretty much required.

Yes, you can “copy/paste” your site over to Rapidweaver, however, one thing you need to be aware of is that RW is formatting-sensitive. That means whatever formatting your text has, will likely get copied into RW, so you’ll have “clear formatting” and then-reformat as necessary for your copied text to look right with your chosen theme. This can be a little tedious, however, when moving from one system to another, it goes with the territory.

Thanks to @tnittner and @JCMII for a very quick response. It is a great help. Right now I am testing the trial version of RW, and I think I have found out how to use the built in text-floating feature. What I need is just left-floating or right-floating text and when I use the plug-in named Styled Text I get the possibility to right- og left align the picture and the text wraps nicely around the pictures. Cool.

But using this method I can not see the floating text in Edit mode, which is a little problem for me. Is there any way to see this in Edit mode as well ad Preview mode?

I’m not aware of a way…

@peterkroman, you could download MAMP, which is a free local server simulation, then export your site to a local folder on your desktop, point MAMP to that folder and voilĂ , you can see your site just as if you had published it.
have fun, tomas

Thanks @tnittner. I will try that :slight_smile:

Joe did a nice video detailing how to set it up

Thanks. A great video. I will try that, it seems like the thins I need for local publishing:)

But I have another little (big :slight_smile: ) problem regarding publishing.

As I mentioned I am looking for a replacement for iWeb, and I have made a rather large site (many pages) in iWeb containing family stories, pictures, and history. This site, and a number of other sites, I have hosted at a web-server hosting supplier, which have been working beautifully through the years.

Now, here comes my challenge: When I publish a RapidWeaver site to my web-server it names the first page index.html, and it places the page in the root folder. The same thing is iWeb doing, in the sence that the index.html page is pointing to the Welcome page, which means that when I publish a site from RapidWeaver to the web-server and wants to view the site, the site I am getting up in my browser is my former published iWeb site.

My iWeb site pages are stored on the web-server in a folder named with the Webplace Name I supplied in the iWeb settings pane, but it seems that RapidWeaver will store the pages directly in the root of my web-server.

Is there any way that I can split this :slight_smile:

specify a folder name of your choosing in the properties panel for the page. “/” by itself indicates the root, “myfolder” will indicate your folder name which branches from the current level of the page in the hierarchy. Thus a top-level page placed in “myfolder” will have a physical location of “/myfolder/mypage.html”, and a sub-level page in its own “myfolder” could be “/myfolder/myfolder/mypage.html”

Thanks JCMII. I am very light on skills about publishing in general. Could you please elaborate a little about the precise place in RW that I put in a foldername of my own choosing. I can not make it work :slight_smile:

Please see here: http://rapidweaverebook.com/using-the-page-inspector/

1 Like

Thanks a lot. But it is still not working. I have attatched a couple of screenshots. One showing my General settings (which should create a folder named “Kroman_Slaegt” on the servere.
And one showing a FTP view of my Website right after publishing a few minutes ago - and as you can see there is no such folder, and the file index.html is still places in the root of the directory (comming up in a moment).

What am I doing wrong?

Please post a screen shot of your publishing settings and your project page view so we can see the hierarchy of your site as it is in RW.

Comming up :slight_smile:

OK, do you want the page “Forside” to be in: wwwroot/Kroman_Slaegt

So the end result would be wwwroot/Kroman_Slaegt/index.html

Yes exactly - and all the pages beneath the page “Forside” in this project too.

OK, I believe you need a slash after /wwwroot in your publishing settings - /wwwroot/

Also, if you want “Forside” to be in a subdirectory off wwwroot then remove the slash in front of /Kroman_Slaegt as it is not needed at that level.