RapidWeaver as replacement for iWeb

I can change folder permissions in my FTP client. What do I type in where? (attatching a screenshot).

And how do I get the navigator in RW to choose the right way to navigatie (it is navigating OK between the other pages …). My properties for all sites is like this one, which is exactly the contact form:
Folder name: contact-form
Filename: index.php

Owner/Group should be RWX.

Public perms should be R.X (Read & Execute).

That setting would correspond to 775. Usually 755 (rwx/r.x/r.x) suffices.

Hi again @JCMII

I have now added PHP from my provider to my web-server, and the contact form shows beautifully in the published site, and it works too :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your help - it has really got me going :slight_smile:

Anyway I have another issue I am seeking help for. I will post this later to day.

Thanks to this forum I have really been hooked on RW6 in a very short time. I love the way it works and the flexibility it provides in building web sites.

But I am still a RW6 novice when it comes to real life :slight_smile:

As mentioned earlier, I am a genealogist and have build a site with rather many pages containing stories, pictures and history about my ancestors, and the site is still growing because I write new stories all the time. The site is built in iWeb, and now I am getting convinced that RW6 is just that replacement. I have purchased RW6 and Stacks 3.0, bur I am very much in doubt about which other stacks and plugins I need to recreate my iWeb site in RW6.

This is what I am seeking some advice to determine, and below I will tell a little about how my site is structured, and I will supply the link to the site - hoping that somebody will look through it and enligthen me on needed additional stacks and plugins.

Well, my site is fundamentally built in 4 sections, of which some contains other sections.

The first section “Velkommen” (Homepage) is a single page with a top-bar (navigation), a couple of pictures and a little text.

The second section “Om os” (About us) ia also a single page. This page contains a top-bar (navigation) a picture, some text, a video directly on the page, and two subpages containing photo galleries.

The third section “Peters aner” (Peter’s ancestors) is a frontpage with a top-bar (navigation), some text, al left sidebar with three navigation buttons to subsides containing "“Peter og opgav” (Peter and his parents), “Peters Mors side af slægten” (Peter’s mothers side of the family), and “Peters Fars side af slægten” (Peters Father’s side of the family, and in the bottom of the sidebar I have a picture with a little text added to it). In the bottom af this page I have a picture of an ancestry tree with some text to it, and some source notes below.

The fourth section is actually the content lying under the buttons in section three. There is a little difference between the “Peter og opgav” site and the others. “Peter og ophav” ia actually a single page with text, pictures, frames, etc., The other two sites is a little more complex than that. If you click e.g. “Peters Mors side af slægten” you will actually meet an index or archive site where all the stories about the ancestors are indexed through a picture and a little lead text. The piicture links to the stories about the actual ancestor. I you click a picture you will se the design of the sites in which I tell my stories, and this design is the same across all the ancestor story sites.
Tis section is constantly growing through my on-going research of my family.

The link to my site in the web is here: http://www.peterkroman.dk/Peter_Kroman_familie_hjemmeside/Velkommen.html

I really hope for some advice on which add-on stacks and plugins I need to rebuild this site in RW6 :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance.

Seems to me you don’t need any special stacks - you should be able to create everything with the “stock” stacks as you have it currently. At least, that’s where I’d start. You’ll be making use of the Sidebar for some things as well. The theme you choose will also dictate some of the layout too.

Thanks @JCMII

I am now working with themes, and have tried some of the available themes. And now I can not publish my site, and when I export it I can see the Home page, but the links in the navigation bar does not include the filename, so what i get is an index page lige the attached.

What am I doing wring now?

Well, honestly, I’m not quite sure how to answer this… Perhaps RW’s way of doing things isn’t lining up with your way of doing things…

In RW, each page represents both a page and/or a folder in the site hierarchy. It is a page if it has no subpages, and it is both a page/folder if it does have subpages.

The default page in any folder should either be index.html or index.php - depending upon which is needed. There should, ideally, always be one of these present (though there are many reasons why there may not be) in any folder.

I’m not quite sure what you mean by “what I get is an index page.” If you mean, in the browser window, instead of seeing a page you see a file/folder listing (as you have shown in your post), then you have directory browsing enabled, which you should turn off. If, however, you mean there is a file in a folder called “index.html,” then that is correct - such a page should be there. The web server automatically displays either “index.html” or “index.php” pages without explicitly designating them so your links can be a little shorter and more easily readable.

In your view, you have a folder called “page7” because you have a page named “page7” that is in its folder, “page7,” which is the default value of the page.

If you want your title links to show something like “Om os,” you need to make sure you change the page title in the Pages listing (that section on the left).

Is any of that helpful at all?

Thanks @JCMII

Yes it helps a lot.

I have discoovered thet I have got new credentials changing to PHP at my provider. So I have updated my publishing setup, and the connection test now comes out positive.

I can export the site and wiew it with MAMP.

BUT - I still can not publish the site. I have tried a lot of times, and every time it comes out and tells me that access is denied to my FTP server, which is very strange since the connection tested in RW6 is OK and I can reach and se the contents of the site in my FTP client.

Do you have an idea on what I can do?

That sounds like a permissions problem - check the permissions of the location to which you are publishing.

Another way to publish, is to actually export your site to a folder and then upload it with an FTP app like Transmit or any of the many other ones out there.

Thanks @zeebe

I’ve got it published through my FTP client now.

1 Like

While I am far from an expert, I’ll throw in my 2 cents worth, from the point of view of a non-expert whose real job is running his import/wholesale/retail operation, and does the web sites as a hobby and because he hates the way locals program. I have used RW for about 6 years, including a complete re-do for responsive earlier this year. My main site is about 1000 pages.

First, on the carryover of formatting when copying and pasting. Easy, but remember to paste with “Option/Command/V” instead of “Command/V”. that will strip all special formatting and past in the text with the default for that theme/page/etc.

Second, one nice feature of RW is the way you can structure the folders and organize things, without regard to how they are placed in the menu. There are probably several ways to do this, but I use the site map, where you can type or copy/paste to organize everything into the folders you want. The menu structure stays the same as you had it sliding the pages around.

Play with different ways of doing things until you find the one most useful to you and your content. It will be easier than coming to that “ah-ha” moment 50 pages down the road and coming back to re-do 49.

And finally, when you have everything in the structure you want, learn about 301 re-directs, and redirect the main pages to where they now are (a simple text file). After I did this I ran a free site map program that checks for errors. Over the course of a few weeks I added all of the old links to the 301 re-directs. (people still click on my site through the original 15 year old address, but get redirected automatically).

1 Like

Good point @RichardLW, on the topic of Redirects, Joe did an awesome video on that and other things you can do with the .htaccess file. You can see the two part series here:

There are a very good watch!!

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the good advices.

I think you are more of en expert than I am @RichardLW :slight_smile:

But I am learning all the time, and I am doing exactly what you are advising me to do. I am playing with different ways to do things, and I allready feel much wiser than I was yesterday. I have picked up a single stack from JW’s shop, but I tend to get the feeling that Foundation might do something good for me too. Still considering that …

Another small point. Watch out for capitalization of your folder or file names. When you look at your file tree, the web alphabetizes folders or files that start with Capital letters first, then small letters. It is easier to update when there is only one alphabet.

Another-- you can easily divide a site into different projects. My main business site has two versions, English and Spanish. The English is just a separate folder on the server, with a link. When the Spanish version grew too big to handle on my computer as one project (I think it over 200 mb), I split it off, so one of the folders is a dozen completely different projects (monthly bulletins, with each year being one project), The only difference is you use url links instead of just page links. I also have my car restoration sites linked in, both in Spanish and English. www.widman.biz if you want to look.

Hi again,

I am really getting somewhere with RW6, Stacks 3 and Foundation. It is a lot of fun and I am really leaning :slight_smile:

But I have a question that I hope the forum can assist me with.

In RW6 we have the iFrame plugin, in which you can wiew another web site in-line of your own site, but it dosn’t seem to work within a Foundation project.

How do I get this to work in a Foundation project.

It works, but you will not see any menus because of the way Foundation works with Stacks (same thing would happen with FreeStacks, BootSnap and Pure themes). Joe has a stack that will work for you though, called Offsite

Thanks @zeebe

Does Offsite actually work with Foundation? I mean so that I can use it insite the Foundation theme - because the video really says nothing about that :slight_smile:

Yes, it will work with Foundation, 99% of stacks do work with Foundation. The video is very old, that is probably why. I can set up a test page if you want.

Thanks @zeebe,

I got it and it works all right.

But I need some help with another stack. I have just purchased the Image Gallery stack, because I have som rather large collections of pictures that I need to place in pa picture gallery in my site. I thought that the Image Gallery stack could do just that, but I can only get one picture in the stack, so I don’t get much gallery out of that :slight_smile:

Am I doing something wrong, or have I chosen the wrong stack to buy here?