Stacks 3 Public Beta

It is absolutely essential to delete existing HTML pages by hand from the server if you have changed to php. Otherwise, there are broken links, because the browser always first selects the html page.
@ashleykaryl
Thank you for information concerning speed. I did not know.

Ok thanks for the info ;-).

I may come across as a bit biased, but it is with good reason. I have been using plugins from Yourhead.com since one of the early releases of the Collage plugin a decade ago. With every new release, wether it is an update or a new product it seems that @isaiah just keeps getting better.

We all knew (and agreed) that Stacks 2 was THE must have app for RapidWeaver (no offense to other plugins), but S3 is going to make S2 look old, dusty, and stale.

I seriously, can not heap enough praise on @isaiah for the work he put into S3. Both from a users and a developers standpoint S3 is superior in every way.

There are some minor changes that may take a few minutes to get used to but once you do you will not look back.

Weave with pleasure, weave with pride, weave with Stacks 3!

Gary

5 Likes

Based on what’s been said about Stacks 3 and the persistent problems with RW6 - I would suggest the best thing would be for Realmac to sell Rapidweaver to Yourhead

If you’re experiencing problems with RW6, we’d like to know. We’re releasing updates regularly, with fixes, enhancements and new features: http://realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/releasenotes

Thanks.

I’m 100% behind Stacks. Always have been.

But - in my experience over ten years - RW performs every bit as well.

And I believe that’s how a majority of users experience it.

Although British (living in California), I have no other ties to RM - but it has to be said :slight_smile: !

3 Likes

I have no real experience of RW prior to version 6. There were definitely some bugs and difficulties early on but at this stage there isn’t an awful lot wrong or any reason why we shouldn’t use it as a production tool. Throw in Stacks 3 and it’s just a great way to create fast responsive websites. I stopped using Freeway to start with RW and I have no reason to believe that anything offered by Adobe would be a better solution, despite their massive resources.

@ashleykaryl It may be 200x faster… but we are talking about milliseconds or nanoseconds here in most cases. I think that the benefit of php far outweigh not having it. If you are truly that concerns about a few milliseconds, you should be hand coding your sites.

I’m not that bothered Joe and that’s why I said it was largely academic.

please advise stack 3 all responsive ?
Thanks

@zmizani1 - TL;DR: The simple answer is yes. We added a lot of responsive content and features to Stacks 3.

And it’s easy to see. Download stacks, drop in a 3-column stack and a few images. Resize the window and enjoy the responsiveness!!! :smiley:

The more nuanced answer is:

• All of the built-in column stacks are now responsive.
  • The built-in image content are now responsive.
  • All of the content stacks are just content – so they have always been response (actually “fluid” is the more accurate term for simple things like that).

And to get a bit nerdy and technical:

• S3 adds specific responsive features (per-platform hiding) to all stacks.
  • S3 adds responsive stacking options (on by default) to column stacks.
  • S3 adds responsive stacking order options to 4 and 5 column stacks.

These features were added to new instances of these stacks only – this means that if you have an existing site with a 3 column stack – it’s behavior won’t change. But if you add new column stacks to the page, they’ll inherit the new behavior.

• Image stacks are always fully responsive all the time. This seemed like nothing-but-net-all-win-awesome-greatness and there was no reason not to make it the default. So we did. :stuck_out_tongue:

3rd party themes and 3rd party stacks are doing their own thing, of course – but most have been doing responsive things for a long time already.

Isaiah

1 Like

Hi there Weavers, there is just one question that i havent yet seen asked about Stacks 3, so i am going to stick my head above the parapet and ask it :-
Are ALL my Stacks still going to work ???
I was going to watch the video at the top of the shop, this may already contain the answer, but my better half is insisting that i watch a Film on TV, so Isaiah’s video will have to wait until tomorrow night :-1:

Tim

@timmytoad Yes! They are all backward compatible and I have had no issues (have been using the beta for a while).

Ignore my ranting, as it was incorrect

@timmytoad: We have been beta testing since April 15th with the 3rd part stack developers with the express goal of: 100% backward compatibility.

I think we’ve done very well. I do not know know of any incompatibilities currently. that said, there are over 800 stacks listed on the community site – many of which contain dozens of sub-stacks. that’s over 1000 stacks some of which have thousands of lines of code.

the practical reality is that with millions of lines of code at play – no reasonable person can guarantee perfect compatibility. bugs surely exist in that vast array.

what i can assure you is that those bugs will be few and far between – and probably diminish by another lambda (unit of defect measurement) by the end of the week as more people are using it.

This is day two of the bleeding edge of the release – but I like software that works – so my bleeding edge tends to look more like a mosquito bite. :stuck_out_tongue:

Isaiah

1 Like

Thanks for that @zeebe , as it happens i decided that Joes Foundation idea was a tad too complicated for me. So i didnt get it !

Thanks @isaiah youre a star :sunglasses:

Ok FIRST PROBLEM :- i have installed stacks 3 and started pressing a few buttons at the bottom of the new Stacks sidebar, i think it was labelled WINDOW and i ended up with a Sidebar that i CANNOT move or get back to square one, which would be the default position

I notice the stacks are listed in alphabet order whereas before they were all listed in developer order, which i preferred !.

your window seems to have grown bigger than your screen. that’s a new one.

my guess is if you simply hide/show the window it will resize itself – click on the layout area and type hit the “L” key to hide the library. if that doesn’t work try restarting rw.

once it’s visible a “sidebar” button should be on the bottom and you can click it to return things to sidebar mode or popover mode (like S2).

To sort by author you can choose:
Library (Gear in the bottom left corner of the library toolbar) > Arrange Stacks > By Author

That setting will stick and you will have author sorting from then on.

BTW: i’ve marked this as a bug (the window growing outside the screen) – if you know of any way of reproducing that behavior it might be helpful in fixing the bug – if not then, i’ll do some hunting.

Thanks @isaiah i could only get back to normal behaviour by clicking and L in the layout area THANKS for your timely suggestion, i cannot make it happen again :frowning:

However pressing a few more buttons, i selected the “popover” option and got the Library sidebar fixed permanently over the Layout Area and it was impossible to drag it anywhere else, personally, i thought what is the point of that ? that is just my personal opinion you understand, perhaps when i start using Stacks 3 normally, instead of just pressing buttons to see what they do, the “popover” option might make sense !