Suggest a topic for the show

Hi guys,

As we mentioned in Episode 3, we’re going to be covering some common web related topics on the show.

The idea is that you suggest a topic you’re either struggling with or something you’d like to learn more about, and we’ll discuss it in-depth on the show.

Ideas for topics:

• How can I speed up my RapidWeaver site?
  • What’s the best way to …
  • Does RapidWeaver allow me to …

Post your topic suggestions here and we’ll cover them on the show :slight_smile:

Thanks - and well done for these!

• choosing Themes
• a ‘Beginner’s corner’
• the three levels (external file, header, in-line) at which CSS operates; and how to apply custom CSS

Good luck!

Here’s a few ideas.

• How to use the inspector in Safari, Chrome and Firefox to diagnose problems.
  • How to do the same to find the appropriate CSS setting to change a particular aspect of an element and then how to enter it in RW.
  • How to manually change a CSS value in the browser to test the change.
  • Good file naming/ folder organisation of the project and source material.
  • Project and source material backup suggestions.
  • When to use jpg, png, svg
  • Good companion software for RW eg Imageoptim, Afinity Designer/Photo etc.
  • How to remove the formatting from a supplied word doc or similar (I paste it into text editor set to remove formatting and then recopy it before pasting it into RW)
3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions, we’ll try and answer them in next couple of episodes :smile:

Styles. I’d love to understand Styles better than I do. They seem to make more sense in RW6 but I still think I’m missing some tricks.

I’m hoping to get a screenshot recorded for this, as it’s quite a complicated topic and I think video would work better than trying to describe how everything works on a podcast!

@PaulRussam we answer a couple of your questions on this weeks show. Have a listen, hopefully our answers help you out a bit :smile:

http://rapidweavercommunity.com/podcasts/the-rapidweaver-show/4

Explain to the masses the benefits of warehousing images and why we should all be doing it!
Add a bit of pizzazz by doing it in a Purple Bricks style where Ben extols the virtues of warehousing yet has a hard time explaining it to the other one, (can’t think if his name at the moment), who is stuck with his ‘drag and drop into project’ ways!

what do you mean by “warehousing images”?

Sorry Ben, I got that the wrong way around.
Obviously Dan (the name came to me) should be the one extolling the virtues!

@ben I think a podcast talking about design and best (design) practices with RapidWeaver would be beneficial. Ex. topics: Content balance (text/imagery/videos); using color schemes; when to use animations; and perhaps, tips on creating a successful homepage. You could invite Nick Cates, @elixir, or some of the other theme devs.

Next, I think there should be an episode on SEO in RW. I’d be willing to offer tips/tricks that are most beneficial.

OK, I think I know what you’re talking about now… I think you talking about storing images on a server, and referencing them using the full URL, rather than dropping them into RW. Correct?

Since there are so many areas that we’d all like to hear covered, and since you’re only human, would a poll on the site (or here) be a good idea - so that you can judge those topics which respondents would find most useful?

Thanks so mich for the work you put into all this!

@ben
Correct.
I find it an invaluable way to handle images on larger sites and it has many advantages.
I do remember the concept being a little daunting at first (it seems so simple now) and I’d suggest it might be a topic worth covering.

thanks again for all the suggestions :smile:

We’re deciding what we’ll cover next week, so if you have an idea for a topic let us know!