Suggest a topic for the show

Hi guys,

As we mentioned in Episode 3, weā€™re going to be covering some common web related topics on the show.

The idea is that you suggest a topic youā€™re either struggling with or something youā€™d like to learn more about, and weā€™ll discuss it in-depth on the show.

Ideas for topics:

• How can I speed up my RapidWeaver site?
  • Whatā€™s the best way to ā€¦
  • Does RapidWeaver allow me to ā€¦

Post your topic suggestions here and weā€™ll cover them on the show :slight_smile:

Thanks - and well done for these!

ā€¢ choosing Themes
ā€¢ a ā€˜Beginnerā€™s cornerā€™
ā€¢ the three levels (external file, header, in-line) at which CSS operates; and how to apply custom CSS

Good luck!

Hereā€™s a few ideas.

• How to use the inspector in Safari, Chrome and Firefox to diagnose problems.
  • How to do the same to find the appropriate CSS setting to change a particular aspect of an element and then how to enter it in RW.
  • How to manually change a CSS value in the browser to test the change.
  • Good file naming/ folder organisation of the project and source material.
  • Project and source material backup suggestions.
  • When to use jpg, png, svg
  • Good companion software for RW eg Imageoptim, Afinity Designer/Photo etc.
  • How to remove the formatting from a supplied word doc or similar (I paste it into text editor set to remove formatting and then recopy it before pasting it into RW)
3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions, weā€™ll try and answer them in next couple of episodes :smile:

Styles. Iā€™d love to understand Styles better than I do. They seem to make more sense in RW6 but I still think Iā€™m missing some tricks.

Iā€™m hoping to get a screenshot recorded for this, as itā€™s quite a complicated topic and I think video would work better than trying to describe how everything works on a podcast!

@PaulRussam we answer a couple of your questions on this weeks show. Have a listen, hopefully our answers help you out a bit :smile:

http://rapidweavercommunity.com/podcasts/the-rapidweaver-show/4

Explain to the masses the benefits of warehousing images and why we should all be doing it!
Add a bit of pizzazz by doing it in a Purple Bricks style where Ben extols the virtues of warehousing yet has a hard time explaining it to the other one, (canā€™t think if his name at the moment), who is stuck with his ā€˜drag and drop into projectā€™ ways!

what do you mean by ā€œwarehousing imagesā€?

Sorry Ben, I got that the wrong way around.
Obviously Dan (the name came to me) should be the one extolling the virtues!

@ben I think a podcast talking about design and best (design) practices with RapidWeaver would be beneficial. Ex. topics: Content balance (text/imagery/videos); using color schemes; when to use animations; and perhaps, tips on creating a successful homepage. You could invite Nick Cates, @elixir, or some of the other theme devs.

Next, I think there should be an episode on SEO in RW. Iā€™d be willing to offer tips/tricks that are most beneficial.

OK, I think I know what youā€™re talking about nowā€¦ I think you talking about storing images on a server, and referencing them using the full URL, rather than dropping them into RW. Correct?

Since there are so many areas that weā€™d all like to hear covered, and since youā€™re only human, would a poll on the site (or here) be a good idea - so that you can judge those topics which respondents would find most useful?

Thanks so mich for the work you put into all this!

@ben
Correct.
I find it an invaluable way to handle images on larger sites and it has many advantages.
I do remember the concept being a little daunting at first (it seems so simple now) and Iā€™d suggest it might be a topic worth covering.

thanks again for all the suggestions :smile:

Weā€™re deciding what weā€™ll cover next week, so if you have an idea for a topic let us know!