All New RapidWeaver Community Site

As I mentioned previously, I have an all new RapidWeaver Community in the works — I hope to have it out very soon.

I wanted to give you a heads up on some of the changes that are coming, especially for those of you on a subscription.

• Addon galleries only support YouTube videos. We no longer accept Vimeo hosted videos. If this is an issue for you please let me know ASAP.
  • Easier to use admin area with stats and more detailed information about your addons. Addon submission has been simplified.
  • New instant search box
  • Better filters for addon listings. Makes it easier for users to find the addons they want.
  • Everything has been redesigned
  • All new personalised activity feed coming soon after launch.

Here’s a couple of previews: please note that these are a WIP. There are a few layout/alignment issues and some of the colours/styling will change before launch.

Having said that, if you have some feedback or think I’m missing something please let me know.

Cheers,
Ben

3 Likes

That’s cool!
Love it.

1 Like

That’s a bummer. Means more ads in videos if using YouTube embeds, vs no ads on Vimeo embeds, right?

Any changes to make the “popular” algorythm more robust?

YouTube doesn’t display ads by default, so there won’t be any displayed - by default.

The library I’m using plays the video and once it’s finished displays the video thumbnail, so you won’t see any “recommended videos” either.

We have switched all our video hosting from Vimeo over to YouTube — it’s free and actually pretty good once you get the hang of it. Being able to suggest other videos (using YouTube’s cards and end screen suggestions) to users has proven pretty popular.

More robust?

I think it works pretty well as is, but I do have it on my after launch todo list to see if I can improve it further.

Plus YouTube is basically the place to go for video content.

I’d recommend adding all your videos there. We have gotten far more traffic through YouTube than Vimeo.

Maybe robust wasn’t the correct word. Basically I meant: Are we going to see a more fine tuned algorithm where we get a better turnover of products listed in the most popular spots.

I’ve gone all in with YouTube this year as well. We have transferred all of the video from Vimeo over to YouTube over the past few months. I look forward to seeing the new design in action.

1 Like

Looks really nice Ben.

There was talk (i think there was anyway) during the RW8 beta of there being some kind of integration between RW and the community site / addons listings. Does the work you are doing here tie in with that?

For lunch it will be as it is currently, but as I said it is on my list to update and improve.

This update does not include any further integration in to RapidWeaver.

This new site is mostly an updated front-end and new admin area.

I am going to love the new API too, right @ben? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Oh cool, finally an API is coming :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The API is internal only for now :wink:

Uh-oh, looks like something is amiss…

The page is visible here, but Search is broken.

Also Admin area doesn’t work.

Whoops, looks like something went wrong.

I am switching over to the new site… keep calm for just a couple more minutes :wink:

1 Like

OK, the new site should be working — if you’re not seeing the new design then your ISP has probably cached something.

I am investigating the issue with the admin area. Will let you know once it’s working.

1 Like

Am also aware of some pages not loading correctly in Safari — seems like an issue with javascript not loading correctly.

OK, new site is online and the developer admin area is working :slight_smile:

Everything in the admin area is all new — I expect there to be some teething issues, please let me know if you find a bug or are having trouble with anything there.

A couple of important changes/updates:

1. All information associated with an addon can be viewed by clicking the “eye” icon on your list of Addons

From here you can manage versions, screenshots, and categories. You can also view a list of likes and reviews.

2. The second way to manage versions, screenshots, and categories for your addons is to click on the links in the left sidebar — this gives you an overview of each resource (listing all entries across all your addons), and allows you to create an entry for that resource and attach it to an addon.

3. Stats are being worked on. The data is there, I am working on displaying it in a more meaningful way.
    For subscribers there will be data graphs like the one below for views, likes, reviews, advert impressions, and advert clicks.

Adverts
If you’re subscribed to a developer plan you can advertise your addons by doing this:

1. Click on Addons in the left sidebar
  2. Select the Addons you want to advertise
  3. Choose “Make Inline Advert” or “Make Billboard Advert” depending on the type you want for the selected addons.

You can view and delete your current adverts by clicking Adverts in the left menu — currently, you cannot “create” an advert from there.

There’s plenty of other updates, so please have a click around and let me know what you think :slight_smile:

I will be doing some videos to explain the new features next week.

Cheers,
Ben

1 Like