All WS stacks are now PHP 8 compatible

Now that I got jQuery 3 supported, I want to also tackle PHP8. Many hosting companies are starting to support PHP 8. PHP 8 came with some breaking changes that required some work to get it all working. I am glad to say that all of my stacks should be good to go now.

PHP 7.4 and PHP 8.0 are the only 2 actively supported versions of PHP. I strongly urge you to use either of these 2 versions now. PHP 7.4 will be actively supported until the end of this year and completely phased out by 2022. You can see the PHP version support matrix here… PHP: Supported Versions

If you remember at all going from PHP 5.6 to PHP 7 was a huge leap in terms of performance. It’s was literally 2x-3x faster. PHP 8 is a more meager 10-15% faster. It does have some very interesting new technologies built in the can make it exponentially faster in the future.

I hope that you have fun updating all of your stacks this weekend. I shipped 48 updates!

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.