Can I use Armadillo & Sitelok on same site? Pros & Cons?

Please don’t listen to @peppermint: he gives very bad advice! :slight_smile:

I created a long video about how to set up Armadillo a few months ago. It’s not edited, and I don’t know how useful it will be for you. But I tried to go over every detail. The video is 42 minutes long (yes, I realize that’s too long) and I think you can create you own blog and Armadillo solo content by watching, stopping, doing the steps yourself, and then proceeding onwards with the video. Here’s the link to the video:

Armadillo is great for blogs, or any content on any page that you want to be able to edit via a web interface. It’s value partly is economic: buy one Armadillo stack and you can use it on as many websites as you want. (Many CMSs charge on a per usage basis. Each new website demands a new license.) But the main value, for me, of Armadillo is it works quite elegantly when you want to have multiple folks editing a website. You can set things up for different people, with different logins, and different levels of actions they can take. When a user logs in they only see the “things” they are allowed to edit. Obviously the Admin is a semi-God and can see everything, but individual users only see their designated blog posts or content areas.

Depending on your needs the above advantages may, or may not, be valuable to you.

Sitelok is wonderful membership webware. I create course websites at the university level. So Sitelok helps me manage student logins. Typically most-to-all of a course website can only be viewed by students in the course (as setup in Sitelok). One great feature is you can also have some pages that are only for one or two students. Thus I can create a website where most of it is only for my students, but some pages are just for individual feedback/comments between myself and one particular student. No other students can enter that kind of page. … Please keep in mind that I’ve only described one way to use Sitelok. There are many other powerful and creative ways to use it. For example, @dave uses Sitelok a lot in a very different way from me.

Okay, the above hopefully will give you a better idea of these products. The bottom line, however, is I’m not really sure what you are asking for. Your post (perhaps unintentionally) comes across as unfocused. As a reader I’m unsure what you are trying to accomplish. I, and others, could help you much better if we knew what you wanted to accomplish and what are your present barriers to reaching that end.

4 Likes