Community site search on mobile

@ban & @dan — Looks like the search on the Commuunity site is doing something odd on mobile devices:

Thanks, we’ve added it to the list of fixes! :+1:

I’ve deployed an improved version - still working on something better, but the update works on mobile!

Rejoice!

giphy

@ben

The search is also on desktop not showing the full search results.

Something else I noticed about Search today – seems like when an item is viewed from a search result, that view is not reflected in the addons statistics within the Admin panel.

what makes you think that? All page views are counted, no matter where they come from…

It could be that you have recently viewed the addon, and the subsequent view(s) are therefor not counted - this is to stop people from constantly refreshing the addon page to artificially increase view counts.

I’m kinda sad I had to implement something to stop this from happening, but there we are.

To be clear, I’m not saying you were trying to increase your page views, just explaining what is happening :slight_smile:

I was curious how creating Twitter posts for products in the Community site helped increase visibility. That is one of the reasons I’ve been running several Twitter posts linking to the Community site recently where I link to YouTube videos, Documentation pages and the Community site. Trying to see what leads to more sales influx. (So far YouTube seems to help a lot.)

While I was there I was also curious what aspects of the site registered views in the stats portion of the Admin panel. So I chose a stack, searched for it and clicked the resultant link. Checked the stats in the Admin panel for views and it did not increase. That was my observation. Perhaps it was a bug, or something else. This is just what I saw in my test. Since the Community site update there have been a lot of bugs If you don’t want help tracking them down, please say so, and I won’t feel obligated any longer to report problems.

Interesting. Would love to know in what way YouTube seems to be helping - could you share more details? As I mentioned before I am thinking of incorporating mode YouTube videos on to the site, so any insights you have could be helpful.

Thanks! I will see if I can reproduce this.

Ok, so maybe my previous post sounded a bit blunt - apologies if it was. I wasn’t trying to antagonise, I was genuinely interested in why you thought views might not have been counted.

I am grateful for all the feedback and bug reporting from everyone.

Yes there are bugs (trust me, there were plenty bugs on the old site, but nobody was noticing them), but we are constantly improving the site and looking for ways to promote your addons, and RapidWeaver in general, to a wider audience. The new site has a much better platform for me to improve and add new features to it.

Cheers,
Ben

2 Likes

I’ve made it a point to include URLs to products related to their videos in the descriptions, as well use YouTube’s Cards to help them find other useful content. It helps for people to see the product in action before purchasing it so that they know what they’re getting, what it can do, and have an idea form for them of how they might make use of it. I feel this has been increasing sales some.

It was. It is ok. Apology accepted. I’ll try to stand back and let others take a look at things. I get caught up in working on something and then start looking at everything as a whole. Like when you set out to clean and organize one room of the house, but by the end of the day you’ve taken apart the entire house and rearranged the furniture for no good reason.

I’ll keep my eye out for show stoppers and report if I run into any.