Continuing FTP hell (Solved w 8.1.7!)

Hi @Kevin_Atkins
I would definitely use SFTP setting and check w/ your webhost to make sure you have the right path, not sure if a ‘/’ is enough to get to your site root.
Also verify w/ them that for SFTP: ares.krystal.co.uk is correct server name for publishing files.
Try it with Use Public Key Authentication unchecked & Private & Public Key are blank - hopefully your server doesn’t require that.
Passphrase is blank too, I assume.

Then click Test to make sure it can connect. If it works. Then save project and try publishing again.

Bill
Stack-Its

Also use Krystal hosting but with FTP, never had a problem. Settings are obviously different, I use /public_html as the path and extended passive but will try and test SFTP upload to them via RW later.

Tried the following settings, tested connection and published without issue.
Once I initially tested the connection I browsed to where I wanted to upload my test site. Adding “:722” to the end of your server address may help.

Hope this helps

Yes, all that has been tried, and no joy. Krystal have asked us NEVER to login with plain FTP, only secure.

That aside, I’ve tried all menu options, different ports, different FTP accounts, servers, passwords, directories, you name it, I’ve tried it.

Still not working, I’m afraid.

Yes I saw on the support article that Krystal were swapping over to SFTP, however plain FTP has still been working for now.

Another suggestion, delete all the publishing options, save file, reopen and setup publishing to Krystal again.

Alternatively start a simple new project and do the same. Wondering if something is corrupted in your existing project.

1 Like

Kevin,
I think a good approach would be to stop trying a bunch of different stuff and tackle your problem with a more systematic approach.
Setup things just like Paul’s (@pmjd) screenshot:

https://forums.realmacsoftware.com/uploads/short-url/6W9Nbry8OiX8ncewzqocEcZVR7s.png

1. Make sure that your credentials have been fixed (last screenshots from you showed them as invalid)
  2. Don’t forget get to add the port number :722 to the server name.
  3. Select the test button (if that fails stop)
  4. If the test works then clear out what ever is in the path field and select the browse Button. (if that fails stop)
  5. If it comes up with a list of directories select the appropriate directory (probably something like /public_html/ or similar)
  6. Then and only then try publishing

It’s important if you want folks to help you get this resolved that you give us matching information. Trying different countless combinations of settings is probably not going to get things working and can be a very frustrating approach.

So if it fails at any point in the process, just stop and post your results along with screenshots of the settings and errors you’re getting.

Thanks teefers.
I appreciate your response, and the angle you’re coming from, but ‘trying a bunch of different stuff’ is precisely the opposite of what I have done so far. A systematic approach is precisely what I’ve done. Luckily I have a firm grounding in effective troubleshooting for many systems (reactor decommissioning, anyone?), but I’ve not recounted the methodology here.

From your perspective, it probably looks like a bunch of different stuff, but that’s because I didn’t intend to use this forum (or any other, God forbid) as tech support, having already spent hours on it, so questions tend to be ‘thrown’ onto the thread (especially with a deadline). All the steps (and more) in your last post have previously been tried, by myself in the first instance, and by tech support, too, but the result is the same and the problem persists.

I’m not completely convinced it’s a server-side issue, and I’ve not ruled out an issue with this particular install of RW on this particular Mac, but as the issue is with a commercial site, and time was running short, this forum was the last ditch attempt at resolution. Sadly as the source of the problem couldn’t be found, I couldn’t recommend RW as a solution, so other apps and methods will now be shortlisted, which is a shame.

Thanks for your help(s) though; I’m sure the issue will arise again, as I maintain a number of RW sites. Although, hopefully not … :woozy_face:

Does is upload any files at all? From the snipet of the log you posted, I wonder if it is aborting prior to actually making the FTP connection and uploading.

I’d probably just delete the folder “var/folders/z1/w41t0kld17g_ps46ry6t3t1w0000gn” and it’s subfolders and try publishing again. As a test, you could also just move it out from where it is instead of deleting it. RW should recreate the folders it needs in var.

Occasionally, yes. It’s not consistent, but today I have found a few streams had made it through, but it still failed.

I’ve sent a project and files to support to see if they can narrow it down: even though it’s too late for this project, it’d be nice to know what the issue is so I can avoid it in future.

As for deleting the folder, I’ve done this before, but it invariably causes more headaches than it’s worth. I may give it a try as a last resort, though.

Unable to export message each time try to publish.
RW 7 still working find and FTP TEST tells me connection is valid.
If I can’t solve this problem and I’ve done all the usual stuff HOW CAN I APPLY TO GET MY MONEY BACK?

If you’re looking for help solving the problem you could follow the steps outlined in the kB article above

If that doesn’t help I would suggest you create a new post and give as much details as you can:

• hosting company
  • screenshots of publishing settings
  • screenshot of error message
  • what you have tried so far

There’s a lot of folks here on the forum that will try to help you out.

As for money back this forum has nothing to do with that, you need to contact Realmac Software Support.

Under 8.1.4 the automatic FTP (SFTP in my case) setup succeds but publishing fails… it creates some sort of error and my hosting account (Dreamhost) blocks me for 5 min. I switched it to manual and then re-browsed my publish folder. Then it published properly. The auto setup tool is broken in 8.1.4.

Things of note. This was a new file created in 8.1.4 as well as a new FTP setup in 8.1.4. Existing files did not experience this issue.

I’ve never tried the “automatic” process, always just set up manually (usually using add from bookmarks).

tagging @tpbradley

Is there something to know about Os X firewall? I keep wasting like a day every time I try to publish a site. I totally agree with the title of this thread.

Hey all,

I’ve been able to reproduce some of these problems when publishing to a remote host. I found that when using FTPS, I could successfully publish if I changed the “Use SSL for” option to “All Communication”.

Can you give this a try and let me know if it works for you.

Didn’t work for me :disappointed:

FYI, this is the info disclosure on the failed upload:

What happens when you clear the “Path” in the Publishing settings and click not the “Test” button? Does it connect to your web server? Can you browse and select the folder you’re trying to publish to?

Can you post a screenshot of your publishing settings, as @teefers asked a few posts up? Can you answer his other questions too? It’s hard to offer suggestions without more information.

All in the previous posts.

There are no options in the settings that make any difference to the outcome, aside from preventing connection when using FTP over FTPS.

Ok. It’s bit hard to follow, because you’ve been trying so many different things, seemingly at once. Other people with similar issues have also posted in the same thread, which makes finding the info harder.

Btw, on many hosts the path used for publishing via FTP is different from the path for publishing via SFTP. RW seems to error when connecting (even with the browse button) if the path is not valid. Since you’ve been trying a number of things, perhaps there is a mismatch between the protocol and the proper publishing path.

If I switch from FTP to SFTP, the test button shows the connection successful. If I try the browse button with the incorrect path entered (i.e. just change from FTP to SFTP without adjusting the path) I get an error.

1 Like