Developer Preview 2 is here!

Hi folks,

Over the last month we’ve been busy getting new stuff together. Developer Preview 2 has some big changes to the sidebar, and a new feature: Project Backup. You can enable backup via the publishing setup.

We recommend you also read this forum thread for some other changes that are ongoing to RapidWeaver!

RapidWeaver requires OS X Yosemite or newer.

New Features

• New, modern OS X sidebar:, with translucency, that shows all your pages, resources and settings in one location.
  • Re-orderable Sidebar: you can now re-arrange the Pages, Resources, and Settings groups in the sidebar, and collapse the ones you don’t need.
  • Page Inspector: You can now choose to pop the Inspector out into its own window and resize.
  • New lightning-fast Preview: RapidWeaver now uses the latest Safari engine to preview pages.
  • Multiple Publishing Locations: if you need to publish projects to multiple locations, you can set these up in your project, and choose the server when publishing.
  • Local Publishing: The “Export” feature is something we’ve always felt should be considered a way of publishing your site, and now it is! If you’ve set up a default Export folder, it’s been added as a publishing destination.
  • Project Backup: RapidWeaver can optionally create a ZIP file of your project, and upload it to your server when publishing. The file is added to a “secret” location on your server, meaning that while it is downloadable by anyone who knows the cryptic web address, it’s tricky to guess that web address.
  • Multiple Selection in the Page List: Use Cmd + A to select all of the sidebar group you’re currently viewing. Cmd + Shift + A to select the entire sidebar. You can Duplicate, re-order, and Delete multiple items.
  • Syntax Highlighting: New syntax highlighting engine, and preference to enable a black background for code areas.
  • New “Only Show Modern Themes” preference: (enabled by default). Older themes will be shown when in use by a project, or you can turn on all themes via the RapidWeaver Preferences.
  • Banner Images: In themes that support this new feature, you can now add a custom banner image to your site, and customise it on each page. Themes that support this feature also include optimal image dimensions to help you size images.
  • Quick Look: We’ve re-written the Quick Look generation for your projects, ensuring greater compatibility with large pages, and to make sure more of your project homepage appears in the preview image.
  • Media Browser: RapidWeaver’s media browser now supports other, non-Apple, apps including Lightroom, and custom folders from the Finder.

Upgrading from RapidWeaver 6

• All your addons and preferences are automatically copied across, and all RapidWeaver 6 plugins are fully compatible this version of RapidWeaver.

Enhancements

• Photo Album: now adds an image caption as the “Alt” tag in individual photo pages.
  • Third-Party Plugins: When a third-party plugin asks RapidWeaver to show the Page Inspector’s “Plugin” tab, and that tab is already open, RapidWeaver will close the Page Inspector.
  • Opt-In to Beta Updates: If you’re feeling adventurous, and want to see new RapidWeaver features before anyone else, you can opt-in to receive beta updates to RapidWeaver.
  • Sitewide Code: To allow you to better-edit large amounts of site-wide code, RapidWeaver now displays it in tabs, instead of consecutive text fields.
  • Master Styles / Theme Inspector: You can now collapse / hide the contents of theme variation groups.
  • UI refinements: we’ve made a number of changes, making RapidWeaver more modern in the built-in plugins.
  • Lightning Fast Image Processing: RapidWeaver’s image processing has seen major changes, to both use the latest OS X technologies, and to ensure that ICC Colour Profiles are respected.

Fixes

• When dragging an image without a creation date into a RapidWeaver project, a creation date will be added to the image.
  • Theme Browser: Numerous improvements to how RapidWeaver duplicates themes, and handles the duplicates in the Theme Browser.
  • If a Website Address has not been set for your project, RapidWeaver will now prompt you to enter one when right-clicking a page and choosing “Publish Page”.

Known Issues

• Opening a RapidWeaver 6 project, and saving with Preview 2, does not warn you that it will save a version that cannot be opened by RapidWeaver 6. We recommend working with duplicates of your RapidWeaver 6 project files until the document migration is in place.
  • Project backups do not currently get correctly moved into place. If you cannot download a backup in Safari, append “-uploading” to the filename.

Bug Reporting

If you run into any bugs with this build, please report them via email (to both nik@realmacsoftware.com and dan@realmacsoftware.com).

Download Link

Download Developer Preview 2

Thanks!

2 Likes

We’ve just pushed a fix via “Check for Updates” that fixes an issue with banner images (and updated the post above).

RapidWeaver now also has the ability to optionally check for beta updates in-app. You can (and should!) enable this by visiting the Preferences -> Updates tab. :smile:

—Nik

Only 5 clicks on the above download link… this is slightly worrying :worried:

The 7.0 public beta will be hear before we know it… if you’ve not tested your themes and plugins with RW7 I’d recommend you get started ASAP.

Cheers,
Dan

Five seeders that shared the file via Torrent to all of us :slightly_smiling:

i posted a link to this on topic on the stack dev slack too. maybe it will generate a few more DLs.

I have to say that I did not realize that this was posted until I finally listened to the podcast that mentioned it. Things feel more disconnected since the slack channel closed…

1 Like

You can always turn on notifications for this particular forum… We don’t plan to re-activate a Slack channel for changes, I’m afraid.

You just need to hang out here more. Make it a daily ritual to pop in :wink:
(or you can just turn on notifications for this forum as Nik suggests)

Slack also has it’s drawbacks, people used to miss stuff all the time as it’s just one long stream of text. At least topics are separated here :slightly_smiling:

I personally miss the directness of Slack, but I think a forum is much better organized and easily searchable.

Heh, I’m the opposite. I don’t miss the directness.

This is much better.

Don’t get me wrong: my preference goes to the forum as well! :+1:t2:

I only miss a quick way to directly contact other developers.

Maybe we need a thread with everyones email/contact details in…