Dragging text document from finder inserts icon

(Jim Colman) #1

I’m just starting to learn Rapidweaver and am building a site. When I attempt to drag text docs from the Finder, I just get a document icon in Rapidweaver. I’ve confirmed that I’m using a Stylized Text page and have tried Word and plain text docs. Pictures drag and drop just fine. Thanks for your help.

JIm

(Robert Ziebol 🖖🏼) #2

So you are trying to drag and drop a text document and think the text will show up?? Can’t do that. Open the document, copy and then do a paste and match style. That is the only way to get it to work.

(Greg Schneck) #3

Copy and Paste, don’t drag. It is best to paste in plain text and let css style the text. Be aware that if you copy and paste from Pages or others it may copy the style also and you will end up with inline css that you never see unless you look at the output html. At least… that is my experience.

(Jim Colman) #4

Thanks, zeebe. On the “Site in 5-Minutes” video, the person is shown inserting text on a page by dragging a file from the Finder. Did I miss interpret that action?

(Robert Ziebol 🖖🏼) #5

That is a text clipping, basically, you drag and drop highlighted text to your desktop and it turns into a clipping. that you can do, but not from word (.doc) or pages or other apps like that. IMHO that is a POOR example to show without showing how they got that text first. Mistakes like yours are bound to happen.

Got here on the short bus - grump
(Jim Colman) #6

Thank you for your kind response and help. It works perfectly when I have the missing key!

(Greg Schneck) #7

Be aware if you ever paste in code you need to be aware of “smart quotes” also. Smart quotes in code is bad! If you ever paste html or other code make sure it is from TextWrangler, BBedit, or other html type editor.

(Rob D) #8

…or plain text editor like TextEdit that comes free with every Mac…

(Greg Schneck) #9

TexWrangler is the free version of BBedit and it has so many more tools. (Like “Straighten Quotes”) - TexEdit is also great at producing inline css html which not many people seem to know. You must set html prefs to “save with inline css”

(Noah Palmer) #10

Never mind. Thanks to Robert Ziebol for the solution in his earlier comment.

The original comment is from a couple of years ago, but I’m having the same problem with dragging and dropping text onto a styled text page.

I’m watching Ben Counsell’s tutorial video #1. At about 3:55 he clearly drags and drops a text file directly from Finder onto a styled text page and it works fine. The text displays on the page. When I do it, I get an icon, just like in the comment from two years ago that probably had an earlier version of Rapidweaver.

I can copy and paste the text, fine, but if I’m missing something about what Ben is doing, I’d sure like to know the right way to do it.

Thanks in advance for any info.