Factory Reset CPanel For RW users

I recently recovered from a very long time where a number of my sites would not work.
My problem started when I upgraded my hosting account and the tech merged 2 accounts onto one domain / sub domain file tree.

I repetedly gave up because I simply ran out of time arguing that they should fix the mess.

Finally I asked the host to erase all my files and start over. They instead switched me to a new server, which helped, but since there were still remnants of old files present on the old server and they gave me incorrect path names, printed in the new service email, still resulted in 2 more weeks lost. This was a big ordeal.

So my question is, for big problems when is it s good idea to Factory Reset your cpanel account as discussed here? https://www.pickaweb.co.uk/kb/factory-reset-your-cpanel-account/

Thanks Marty

Marty,

What a disappointing and frustrating experience :frowning: .

I’d actually have thought - trying to be as positive and respectful as I can - that perhaps a better course of action is to change providers.

I’ve managed web servers for many years. Filesystems (at least Unix and Mac filesystems) are really simpler than the host you’ve been dealing with seems to suggest.

Files either exist on a server or they don’t. They’re either in a given directory or they’re not. Their locations, permissions, paths are all known and - subject to security concerns and some dependencies/aliases - can easily be made transparent to the users.

So, in a well-run hosting service no such ‘reset’ should ever be necessary. If the engineers there know what they’re doing, even the most complex virtual server/virtual machine environment should be easy to manage by customers. Good luck!

Thanks Mark. I am planning to change over to chiledog when my 3 year prepaid contract runs out.

2 Likes

An excellent choice, Martin :smile:

Hope it al goes well.

To take a stab at your OP without the lecture, I’d say that in principle you could do such a ‘reset’ - provided you have all your files locally and backed up. And just re-upload everything. But by the sounds of it, that might be risky!

I’m sure someone with more hosting experience will jump in, but do you use this account for anything except hosting your web server? Do you use it for handling your email for that domain? If so, resetting CPanel may wipe all those settings and existing emails on the server.

I really don’t know what’s affected by a reset nor what you have on the server, but wanted to make sure you considered this as well.

1 Like

Factory resetting an account is a last resort. It is typically pretty easy to do from an admin perspective (if you’re able to work comfortably with them). They simply have to Terminate the account and re-create it.

This sounds like an issue with having document roots nested under one another. I, of course, may be wrong as you know more than I. You may be able to get away with simply updating the document root for your Add-on domains and re-organizing the files/folders as appropriate.

Again, it’s really hard to say without additional details. My biggest/best suggestion, however, would be to take BACKUPS of EVERYTHING before you do anything. :slight_smile:

-Greg

Thanks Greg. My host keeps merging and that does not increase their knowledge. I am trying to get my cyberduck paths for FPT to subdomains.

Your cyberduck knowledge page comes up first on the duckduckgo search…

I am looking for but can not find the “change FTP path” from user account to sub domain path button, but can not find it.

And you are right about the nesting, my host put a dang cowbird in my nest. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowbird

Important: Most FTP software supports a root or path box. But as is the case in Cyberduck FTP and RapidWeaver, this may be hidden by defualt under an ‘Advanced’ or ‘Options’ tab or similar. So you may need to toggle that open first, and then type your subdomain name in the box.

I guess I am looking for a very specific step by step on how to get from RW to the subdomain via FTP.

thanks for the help Marty

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.