Free eBook - Warehousing in RapidWeaver

A free Christmas gift that keeps on giving! File warehousing has been a hot-topic in recent years and I’m often asked questions about it. So I decided to put together a short(ish) eBook on the subject.

Direct Download (4.5MB)

This guide talks about what warehousing is and how you could potentially benefit from utilising the technique in your projects. It shows you how to create a simple warehouse directory in your preferred FTP software and also discusses how to optimise files ready for use. Methods of linking to warehoused files and embedding them in your webpages is covered. We dive-into the idea of building a commercial-grade file warehouse using Amazon S3 servers. And as a bonus, there also some information on building your very own ‘dropbox’ style collaborative environment using ownCloud.

I hope the contained information is of help and you find this guide to be an interesting read. This is just a ‘version 1’ so far, and it’s possible it might get expanded in future to include some more chapters or information.

May I take this opportunity to wish all my customers a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous 2017. It’s been another very successful year for ThemeFlood and Stacks4Stacks; plus the new seyDesign, RapidSearchPro and RWExtras projects that came onboard in August. I’m very grateful as ever for your past and future custom.

-Will

25 Likes

Thanks Will, and may I take the opportunity to wish you a merry Christmas and may 2017 be good for you as well.

Brian

2 Likes

Thank you very much Will for your generosity, my best wishes for happiness for you and your family.

Best

2 Likes

Will, you’re my hero (as always)! All the best to you in the new year – as well as to the entire RW community…

2 Likes

Thanks so much Will, that’s very generous! I want to wish you and your family a merry Christmas and all the best for 2017…

2 Likes

Will: Great additional resource for folks. Thanks! I hope you have a happy holiday season and a prosperous new year!

2 Likes

@willwood-
Thank you for this… and over 5 years of patience and knowledge!

For those that don’t know @willwood, I’ve been following him for over 5 years now. I use his themes, stacks and brain (ha)… He modified his Volcano theme for me and has the best support of his products I have seen in the Rapidweaver community. I am not a programmer, but with Will’s help and a lot of patience, I have built my site at least 3 times over as new updates and capabilities enter the RW landscape.

Happy Holidays to you, @willwood and to everyone in the RW community!

Lisa

2 Likes

Thanks so much… will be useful.

2 Likes

Thanks for all you do Will!

2 Likes

Thanks Will. This should give me something very useful to read during the end of year break.

2 Likes

As always, thanks a million Will. Your ongoing contribution to the RW community is amazing!

2 Likes

I’d just like to say, as a photographer, my website was hitting 600 mb. I’ve been replacing my drag and drop images with warehoused images and I’m now down to 110mb and still have more to replace.

Thanks again to @willwood for this!

1 Like

By the way, there are lots of tools to help website builders, like us, to use smaller images. I’ve been using Squash and really like it!

1 Like

I’m using Squash too :slight_smile: But as a photographer, I have a gazillion images, so even with my images reduced, my RW files were huge with drag and drop.

Hi again Lisa.
I have found that I need to reduce the size of my images first, then Squash them for optimal compression. My images often start out around 20" x 24" at 280 dpi. I use Preview to change them to only 5 or 6 inches wide at 144 dpi first. Then Squash.
Squash would be more useful for me if I could also use it to reduce the image size. Maybe they will add a few image size presets. :slight_smile:
I hope this helps.

1 Like

Brad-
I have several “standard” shapes and sizes I set up in Photoshop (as layers) and I drag all my images in those files, then save for web, so I start with smaller size to begin with, before dropping my files into Squash. But then again, I am a graphic designer and photographer who has been using Photoshop for close to 30 years, so others may not have my knowledge or know-how.
That might be a good thing for Squash to do, but not necessary for me :slight_smile:
Lisa

2 Likes