How to know whose stack you are using

I forget sometimes which grid, column, or …insert kind… stack I’ve used. Is there a way to see which developer’s stack you have added?

It would be nice if that was shown in the info field :slight_smile:

Just seeing “Grid” …
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 7.56.00 AM

2 Likes

It would be SO helpful to have some kind of Project Audit facility, which could provide a page-by-page report of which stacks have been used.

Perhaps if we ask @isaiah nicely! :wink:

3 Likes

It’s a dream if it doesn’t exist yet :slight_smile:

But, while we are dreaming, I’d love to know who the stack is coming from when it is in a file (S4S, Elixir, Workman, Weavium, Doobox, etc) when it is active , like added to info in the image above.

And it would be amazing to see the settings for the stack, when selecting from the library. All just to refresh the memory… ‘was that the stack that had image filters, or vertical centering?’

Perhaps if we ask @isaiah nicely! :wink:

I’m not even joking, this means a lot to me. Thank you for asking nicely. :smiley:

So, with that very nice request, I’ll make a promise, something I don’t do often – I promise this will be a feature of Stacks 5 if not sooner.

15 Likes

For now, you can Right-Click (or Ctrl-Click or use the gear menu) to choose Show Online Info and Show Online Help. These have to be set up by the stack developer, of course – but high quality stacks usually link to helpful info about the stack.

And it would be amazing to see the settings for the stack, when selecting from the library. All just to refresh the memory… ‘was that the stack that had image filters, or vertical centering?’

I like your earlier ideas, I have to pass on this one. It doesn’t seem like a good idea to me to show people settings that they can’t use – or that have no effect.

But perhaps there are other things we could show – like a small preview??? – that might help with remembering.

2 Likes

Wow!

Thank you! I’m chuffed :grinning:

2 Likes

Anyone messes with Isaiah is messing with me. You DON’T want to do that!

Issiah, Thanks for the consideration, both of the ideas, and for the people you deal with. Appreciation from me as well.

You are correct, actually triggering the interface as a preview would be problematic. I was thinking of it more like a “on mouse over” effect. that showed a preview of the stack settings. I don’t know if the Rapidweaver GUI supports that.

There are just so many levels deep that so many of the stacks and components go. For visual learners, seeing the interface really helps reconnect the dots.

Thanks,
Yon

1 Like

+10 for Yon’s request – seeing the dev name in the info pane! I cannot adequately express how useful that would be.

I sometimes use multiple similar-function stacks on the same page, for a particular need. And many have the same name – Grid, Column, Image, etc. I’ve actually had to go to developers’ websites and look through icons, descriptions or support docs until I figure out which one I’m using. (That’s kind of embarrassing, maybe. But there it is.)

Sometimes I remember to add the dev name when I drag in the stack. But it would be AWESOME just to have that built in.

Thanks for considering this, Isaiah!

1 Like

You can always sort the stacks by Author.

That doesn’t help with which stacks you’ve actually used, though.

Very true, just trying to be helpful.

2 Likes

As you always are, Gary :+1:

I fully agree, it would be so nice. Even knowing which stack is missing (sometimes I get examples in the stacks I bought and within examples there are “missing stacks”…it would be useful to know which ones). I personally like RW and the developments around it so much, and auditing would complete the environment… and, a dream, a RW windows version too :pray:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.