InStacks Gallery 3 - more slots than photos

(Rob Beattie) #1

Any Gallery 3 users advise on this?

I have a gallery set up here - https://www.jimbestracing.com/Gallery/ - being controlled by EasyCMS.

It currently has 12 photos in it and slots for a further eight. As you can see, these empty slots have ‘?’ marks in them.

I could have sworn that before they didn’t. In fact they didn’t appear as empty slots at all but allowed the client to add new photos (up to the total of 20) gracefully without displaying any empty ‘?’ slots.

Is that possible?

Many thanks

Rob

(Jannis from inStacks Software) #2

Hi Rob,

please clarify why your web server is returning the index.php instead of a 404 error (which is needed to check if the image is existing or not) as response for below links

There was no change in my functionality for this.

Cheers, Jannis

(Jannis from inStacks Software) #3

(Rob Beattie) #4

Thanks for looking Jannis. It should be fine. Just try re-loading the page?

(Jannis from inStacks Software) #5

That is not what I mean.

Please open this link, which is a link to a missing photo: https://www.jimbestracing.com/cms-data/image/gallery12.jpg

Instead of a 404 error, the whole website is returned.

So there was a change in the web server configuration.

(Rob Beattie) #6

Ah, I see what you mean. That’s way above my pay grade. I’ll check with @barchard at Chillidog and see what’s going on.

Just to clarify then, is it possible to set up Gallery 3 with EasyCMS in the way I’ve described?
20 slots for photos
photos in 12 of them
8 empty slots which only appear on the page when filled with a photo

OR

Do all 20 slots need to be filled?

Many thanks

(Jannis from inStacks Software) #7

Yes, if the web server returns a 404 for missing images (which is a default web server setting)

(Rob Beattie) #8

Hi Jannis,

I don’t think I’m being clear. The idea is that there are no missing links, even though the number of thumbnails increases or decreases depending on how many photos are added via EasyCMS, up to a maximum of 20. So there might be 12 or 16 or 8 photos being displayed in the grid but there will never be any empty slots visible to visitors. That’s what I’d like to achieve with EasyCMS/Gallery 3.

Is it possible?

Thanks

Rob

(Jannis from inStacks Software) #9

I know what you mean, and yes, this works:

http://gallerydemo.instacks.com/easycms/

In the 1st screenshot (Gallery Stack 3) 3 image slots are missing without (?) alternative image replacement. In the 2nd screenshot for the admin panel, 3 images upload areas are also missing.

So, works all fine.

(Rob Beattie) #10

That’s fantastic Jannis. Thank you. So I just need to work out why that’s not happening on my page.

Last question.

Whereabouts on my page do you find this link?

https://www.jimbestracing.com/cms-data/image/gallery12.jpg

Best

Rob

(Jannis from inStacks Software) #11

This is the static link, which is generated by Easy CMS, for slot 12. As Easy CMS does not have a dynamic gallery feature, you have to configure these static uploads (as you already know).

Gallery Stack 3 checks, if this static slot has a image. This is done with checking the response code of the web server (404 in usual case). In that case, the image slot will be hidden.

In your case, not a 404 will be returned, but a 200 with the index.php content.

(Rob Beattie) #12

Many thanks. I’ll check with @barchard.

Gallery 3 is a phenomenal stack, by the way.

:sunglasses:

Rob

(Gregory Barchard) #13

Check your .htaccess file. This is most likely the cause. There is probably code in there that is affecting this. A simple test is to rename your .htaccess file to htaccess or .htaccess.bk and try the URL again.

(Rob Beattie) #14

Yup, Greg. That works. But in doing so I lose the stuff inside .htaccess that makes the SSL work. So now I need to work out what’s gone wrong with the .htaccess file.

I’d love a straightforward tutorial on how to implement various things in .htaccess. Seems a powerful and influential beast…

Thanks

Rob

(Robert Ziebol 🖖🏼) #15

Not sure if you have seen these old weavercasts of Joe’s but the info is still good

(Rob Beattie) #16

I hadn’t @zeebe. Thanks for the links. I’ll have a watch later today.

Rob

(Gregory Barchard) #17

You can start. Y commenting out sections by placing a # at the start of the line. This should help identify what code is causing the issues.

Yes some tutorials would be great. It’s on my todo list :slight_smile:

(Rob Beattie) #18

I seem to have fixed it by following Greg’s suggestion of commenting out a line at a time. I don’t really have any idea why this has worked but it seems to have done the trick.

Sometimes with this stuff it seems to make as much sense as putting a couple of chicken bones under my pillow and dancing anti-clockwise round the bed!

Rob

(Jannis from inStacks Software) #19

Could you share that one line with me?

(Rob Beattie) #20

I’ve sent you a message.