Introducing.....Charter stack! (V1.1 now live šŸŽ‰!)

I have purchased Charter already and am looking at your example RW project. In the 1st and 2nd example ā€œWorld Population per Regionā€ I am missing an option to stack the graph lines so that they add up to the sum of the world population. Am I overlooking an option, or will you make that possible in a coming version? (Please, do!)

I think you will like v1.1 then :wink:

1 Like

I am looking forward to version 1.1! It would be nice to have an import function for google sheets as well :wink:

Youā€™ll be able to link to a Google Sheet in v1.1 :+1:

2 Likes

Excellent! :grinning:

Charter v1.1 is here!

A huge update to Charter stack is here already.

The headline features are:

• Link to a csv data source (this could be RW Resources folder / a location on your server / a Google Sheet!
  • New chart type: Mixed Chart (combine Line and Bar charts in a single chart!)
  • Option to ā€˜stackā€™ Bar and Line Charts (you can now opt to show cumulative values at each data point as opposed to each dataset showing only its own value)

There are a lot of other new features and improvements too. Please check the Release Notes for details. Also worth downloading the updated project file (from the main Charter web page) to see how all of these new things work in practice!

Hope you enjoy this update. All comments / feedback welcome. (And, if you have a minute please consider leaving a rating and/or ā€˜likeā€™ on the RW Community website!)

Thanks for all your support with this stack.

5 Likes

@habitualshaker Thanks so much for this update. This really is an outstanding stack. Iā€™ll mainly be using the CSV option, but itā€™s great the different options you provide. Love the new Mixed Chart! Bravo.

2 Likes

Today is the first time Iā€™ve been able to play with the Charter stack instead of just looking at the cool stuff Stuart has created as examples. OMG! I had high expectations for this stack, but in working with it the actual features went well beyond my expectations. I couldnā€™t be more impressed with the thoughtfulness and care that went into this stack. Iā€™m teaching statistics this semester and will be using this stack a lot to help students visualize data. Amazing web tool!

To give one small idea: with this stack you can show the data for several ā€œthingsā€ but then interactively filter out some of the data. Easy to have 8 countries (e.g.) and then filter out 6 so you are only seeing the data for 2. This is fantastic for comparing things and diving deeper into the numbers. And thatā€™s only one example Lots of care and attention went into this stack. Many thanks!

5 Likes

Then you will be pleased what @habitualshaker and me are trying to achieve :wink:

6 Likes

Thanks a lot @Mathew. What a great review :slight_smile:

I certainly tried hard to bring as many options into the stack as I could without it being too overbearing / complex. Hopefully I got the balance about right so that itā€™s easy enough to use but also has enough options to tweak for those that wish to. That said, there is a lot more that could be added to the stack. Suggestions always welcome for v1.2 and beyond.

6 Likes

Hi Stuart, congratulation for this tremendous stack and its feature rich set of possibilities. Well done. Keep on with your ā€œshaking habitā€ of doing things a bit differently :grin:

2 Likes

This stack looks really interesting I need a stack that creates simple line charts. Future purchase I think.

2 Likes

Hi All,

Just a note to say that I have finally managed to pull a few tutorial videos together. These look at various aspects of using Charter stack from working with data to styling (and a lot more besides). These, along with the example project file, should give you a flying start in using Charter to create some great charts in your projects.

Hope you find these useful. If there are other areas that you would like me to cover then let me know :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Stuart

p.s. if you look closely in video 3 youā€™ll see a few of the new number formatting features that will be in the next update.

5 Likes

Stuart, these will be greatly appreciated. Just now went to watch, but I cannot get the sound to come on, even when I ā€œclick for sound,ā€ though maybe itā€™s because Iā€™m on an iOS device and can only ā€˜tapā€™ and canā€™t click.

Thanks @davidfreels - Iā€™ll check that out. It should work on iOS but I think there might well be some issues with this particular video player currently. Desktop definitely recommended for viewing these currently if possible.

Sound is fine for me on Mac. Who knows, iOS may be a problem.

Stuart: Is it possible to post these videos at YouTube or Vimeo? They are longer videos and normally I would watch such content by first downloading the videos to my computer (which I can do if on YT or Vimeo). I realize you may have very good reasons for avoiding those platforms and Iā€™ll certainly understand if you donā€™t want to post there. But for some of us it might help.

In my case the internet connection can be spotty at home (where Iā€™d view the videos) so downloading first helps.

Hi @Mathew - yes - I probably will add to Vimeo. especially if I canā€™t get them to work reliably on iOS. Failing that I can add in a download option to the current player.

3 Likes

Stuart: viewing tutorial 3 this morning. Nice about the new formatting features. Coming out soon? That is, sometime in the next 2-3 weeks?

Hi @Mathew - yes I would think so. Iā€™d be happy to send you a draft version if you are needing that functionality now and want to test it out a bit.

2 Likes