jQuery - Security Issues

Hi,

Currently I have a multiple of sites running on RapidWeaver and I see that some of the stacks I use have outdated jQuery that leads to security issues.

The particular vulnerabilities in question are related to severely outdated jQuery code that is highly susceptible to multiple cross site scripting attacks. These need to be upgraded from jQuery 2.2.4 to 3.5.1 and the jQuery Migrate component (likely a subcomponent of jQuery) needs to be upgraded from 1.2.1 to 3.3.1.

This relates to the following themes and stacks.

• Stacks4 (YourHead)
  • Depth (Nick Cates Design)

Maybe even RapidWeaver8 in general.

Is there a way to upgrade these jQuery versions ? Anyone similar problems ? Any ideas how to get these updated ?

Thanks.
Mrmcing

Hi and welcome to the forum,

There’s really no way for you the end user to upgrade anything inside RapidWeaver addons.

Going from jQurey 2.x to jQurey 3.x isn’t necessarily a simple thing. With any major release there’s always the risk of a “Breaking change“ that would require coding changes to continue to work. At minimum the developers would need to run complete regression testing to ensure everything works correctly.

Not sure where you are getting the information, but there’s a lot of websites still using jQurey 2.x and even 1.x. If cross site scripting is a major concern for you you can address that by adding Content Security Policy.

Nick Cates is no longer selling any RapidWeaver products. So I don’t think changes to Depth are going to happen.

The Stacks 4 plugin itself doesn’t use or require jQuery, it allows the individual stack to select if it needs jQuery and even the versions to use.

RapidWeaver itself doesn’t need jQuery, but many themes do.

4 Likes

I can’t speak for the themes or RapidWeaver, but I can let you know about Stacks – it’s probably a lot more complicated than you bargained for.

So here’s the short version: Stacks tries to use the latest version – but will use older versions when stacks on the page need older versions. Stacks v4.1 will come with jQuery v3.5

Many of Versions from Many Places

By default Stacks doesn’t include any libraries like jQuery, but since many stacks require jQuery, and have different version requirements themselves, Stacks manages the jQuery version shared by for the whole page.

Stacks uses a flexible heuristic to deliver the most recent jQuery version that is compatible with every stack on the page.

Stacks can also let you choose whether you’d like to deliver jQuery from your own server or use a CDN – which, in the case of jQuery, will be the Google CDN.

Closures are Good Things™

And lastly, Stacks provides a standardized Javascript closure for each stack to do it’s JS work, along with the needed jQuery globals, to minimize each stack’s scripts from polluting the global name-space and interfering with others stacks. This helps makes things a bit more compatible, especially with hobbyists that are creating their first stacks for themselves.

JS gives web developers a lot of power, it can be easy to shoot off your own toes when you’re just getting started. Think of our nicely set up closure as bullet-proof boots for each stack. :nerd_face:
:hiking_boot::no_entry_sign::gun:

Which Version

The Stacks API gives each stack the ability to define a minimum and maximum compatible version of jQuery that they require – or just one, or neither.

When just one stack requests jQuery and defines no mins/maxes the version delivered will be the latest at the time of the major version of Stacks. For Stacks 4.0 that was jQuery v3.1.1.

Stacks 4.1 is coming soon-ish – and when it goes out it should include the latest version of jQuery that’s available on the Google CDN (we only include a version if it’s also made it through the Google CDN release process – which tends to skip some of the buggier releases).

How to Get jQuery v3.5

If you have a page that’s including v3.1.1 then it will likely just update itself to v3.5.x when Stacks v4.1 is released. So – basically do nothing. :smiley:

But if you page is currently using something a bit older to than v3.1.1, then it’s probably because there a stack on that page that is asking for an older version. This happens when they set the “maxVersion”

Ugly Details

But wait there’s more… and unfortunately it’s not pretty. jQuery v2 included many substantial breaking changes. This meant our nicely laid out plan to keep everyone up to date suddenly broke very badly. I suspect if you search this forum back about 8 years or so you’ll find out what a catastrophe it was. For that reason, we’re a bit more careful about how we update between v1 -> v2 and v2 -> v3.
I’m not going to go into details here, but the gist is that we want those large updates to be opt-in for developers. So if you have some very old stacks that haven’t been update in many years, then you might be getting held back to jQuery v1. :grimacing: The way forward is to upgrade that stack.

Which stack is holding me back?

It’s not generally listed anywhere for users to see (but it would be a nice feature request for the developer console I think). jQuery version handling gets pretty tricky when you’re ballancing the requirements for many stacks – it’s not something most users ever want to know about. But if you do want to know about it, then the stack developer that created the stack is a good source. Most stack developers have a good idea if they’re setting the max value low for a specific stack.
And if all else fails, you can use divide and conquer to delete stacks, then export the page (on a copy of the project, of course) until the jQuery version changes – then you can see how each stack’s contribution to the jQuery version soup.

If you’d like help in determining this, just let me know. :smiley:

Isaiah

12 Likes

Thank you Teefers for your answer.

So I am diving into the CSP and wanted to ask a noobish question… is there a simple way to add that ?

Much details and I understand completely. Thanks so much. I believe what Teefers is referring to might be my solution now only to understand how to add the Content Security Policy

I’m not at a Mac right now, so I can’t give you examples, but the way I’d do it is to add directives to the htaccess file assuming that you are using Apache as your web server.

https://content-security-policy.com/examples/htaccess/

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.