"Optimising" JPEGs

Am I missing something? When I read this…

Optimising the file size of your images shouldn’t mean making them grainy or blurred. Squash can maintain quality while reducing file size and saving space.

…I imagined Squash doing the work of figuring out what compression level to use. But all I can see is a quality slider like every other JPEG exporter.

Given I have to choose a single quality level for the entire batch, this doesn’t seem like ‘optimisation’ at all.

The split before/after viewer is a huge benefit here, though. And I don‘t know of another app that lets you see what you‘re going to get before you export it. The amazing thing about Squash is how good the quality can be with high compression. But obviously if you‘re going to use these levels of compression, it doesn‘t make any sense to try to do batches — it’s on an image by image basis. To get a more equal level of quality in all the images in a batch, you’ll need to use much less compression. Squash makes it easy to do both.

Affinity Photo will offer a preview of export output before the fact, but yes, without a handy comparison slider. It does mean it will be a feature to use precisely and not a bulk means of reducing size, for example, on a whole web site worth of photos. I’m honestly not imagining a situation where I’d want to minimise the size of one or a handful of photos.

I’m not familiar with the details of JPEG compression. Is it like MP3 in that some encoders will do a better job than others?

Ha, I’d never seen the ‘preview‘ button tucked in the bottom left hand corner of Photo’s ‘export‘ dialog. Thank you for bringing it to my attention!

Re-litigating this, the problem I have is one of expectation.

Here’s the very first piece of marketing text on the Squash page:

Bulk image compression app for Mac.
Optimising the file size of your images shouldn’t mean making them grainy or blurred. Squash can maintain quality while reducing file size and saving space.

Squash cannot “maintain quality while reducing file size” in bulk.

@zkarj Ah sorry about that, I think perhaps we’ll reword it to make it clearer on what Squash can and cannot do. Thanks for the heads-up.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.