Ordered lists overflowing the left margin in Stacks and Blocks

There’s an issue using bulleted lists with Stacks and Blocks in some themes. The issue has existed since forever – since 2006, I guess, when Blocks was launched – so for ten years. And it would be nice to find a real solution to this.

Here’s a quick demo of the issue:

1. Create a Stacks page.
  2. Add a Text stack.
  3. Add ten lines of text (with a return between each).
  4. Select all
  5. Click the List button and choose a Numbered list (1, 2, 3, …)
  6. Preview
  7. Choose the Reason theme – sorry Nick, I always use this theme for demos – because it’s so good – but it also happens to be a good demo for this :stuck_out_tongue:

In most themes all will be well. You’ll get a numbered list as expected. In a few themes some or all of the numbers get clipped (see image below comparing two themes – i’ve added a border to make the edge of the stack more obvious).

And now we come to the crux of the issue: Stacks and Blocks, by default, clip content that overflows a stack. In this case the numbers are overflowing the left margin.

I can see three possible solutions to this:

1. I allow overflowing content in Stacks and Blocks.
    Pro: it would eliminate a few odd situations like this one.
    Con:
  • numbers show up in the page gutter. :frowning: yuck.
  • hiding overflow is one of the key components of interoperability (in Stacks) that has allowed novice devs to build stacks without shooting off their own toes. It keeps all their mistakes bounded – and if they’re smart enough to really need to turn off that clipping, then they’re probably smart enough to know how. :wink:
  1. The theme adds a bit of extra padding.
    Pro: no numbers in the page gutter. this makes typophiles a bit happier.
    Con: ???

2. The theme adds a bit of extra padding – only in Stacks and Blocks pages.
    Pro: allows for a more pinpoint solution.
    Con: numbers in the page gutter on Styled Text pages.

So, I’m opening this up to the floor:
Are there other solutions? Do we fix this? Or continue for another ten years? :wink:

I think there are probably a bunch of 3rd party themes that I don’t have access to that suffer from this. But here is a list of built-in themes that suffer from this behavior:

New themes:

• Allegro - No bullets show at all.
  • Reason - Shows one digit.
  • Split - Some bullets OK. Some get clipped.

Old stuff:

• Japanese Fantasy - Some bullets OK. Some get clipped.

These don’t even show bullets ¯_(ツ)_/¯ which is neither here nor there, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

• Avantgarde
  • Patchy