OT: Corona / how does it affect your life

The worst thing is this idea of ‘social distancing’. One now is faced with a choice of going when the shops full to overflowing with people or going when the shelves are empty – a stark choice between coronavirus and malnutrition (I’ve reluctantly chosen the former). All the delivery services (other than the milkman) have ground to a halt, as far as I can make out.

1 Like

Here in Boone County, Indiana, a woman was admitted to our local hospital with the virus. She contracted it from her husband or son who both tested positive but were asymptomatic.

As it seems to be quite bad for older people over 60 and those with underlying health issues, this is what puts us between the proverbial rock and hard place. Let it run its course and kill thousands of people and overwhelm the health care symptoms? Or lock everyone down ruining jobs and the economies of nations?

I’ve seen pictures of military convoys in Italy carrying bodies away for cremation and warehouses full of caskets. I don’t know about other countries but should that happen here in the USA the press would be licking their political chops to get Trump. Our press is despicable. And I did not vote for him in 2016.

It doesn’t matter what politics you have right now. In your country you are all Americans, Germans, Spaniards, et. al. We must all pull together.

2 Likes

That is tough… It is amazing what we take for granted. I hope the 6 weeks flies by and you are holding your new grandchild.

I wish all the very best…

1 Like

It does seem to hit older people harder. The average age of those dying from it in Italy is 78.5 years, according to the ISS, Italy’s national health institute. 41% of all those who died were between 80 and 89, while 35% were between 70 and 79. In an analysis of 481 cases, nearly all (99%) had at least one underlying health condition – not so surprising in the age group.

70.6% of deaths were men.

1 Like

Do you think it is appropriate to attack people who are doing their very best?

It will not help anybody. It will not cure anything. It will only create division.

THIS IS BIGGER THAN POLITICS. We need to be kind to one another.

I wish you and yours the very best Peter. Stay healthy… I hope this passes soon.

Peace.

1 Like

I think Peter’s criticism is of the leadership and direction, rather than every single person working at the CDC.

Here in the UK our government is being too slow to respond, it’s only a lot of very public criticism that seems to have gotten them to move a little bit faster.

It’s a scary time, a lot of people are putting themselves on the line to care for others. There’s been some wonderful things done by individuals/groups and even big businesses. Gives you some hope

1 Like

I’m not trying to make a political point, merely an observation. I don’t think the UK government has been too slow. They did take a measured approach, partly dictated by the available resources; this may or may not have been the best approach. The US government, in contrast, was VERY slow to start testing, or even to accept that there was a problem.

The biggest problem, at least here in Richmond, Surrey, is that (1) many people have ignored the social distancing advice and (2) even if they wished to, it is impossible in many shops due to massive overcrowding; you’d be luck to keep 20 cm from the next person, let alone 2 m. I think one factor is the large number of people who usually eat out here (not me – I can’t afford it) who are now having to stock up on a lot more food than they would if they could go to the pub/café/restaurant. Even going for a walk was difficult with the crowds out yesterday. They seem to have reduced today, which is a relief; perhaps the threat to close Richmond Park has brought them to their senses.

Our residents’ association has distributed forms for people to offer help to those who are self-isolating. It’s a good idea, although the offer of help has angered some, who say, ‘Surely he/she doesn’t think I’m that old!’

Keep safe, all.

1 Like

I am in the U.S. Yes, the CDC was a little slow in response. However, President Trump has invited in the knowledge and creativity of the private sector and great strides forward have been taken. We still have a long way to go, but the work is being done.

The part do the country where I live is rural and has only 2 confirmed cases as of 21 March.

My wife teaches first grade and is working from home using Google Classroom and other tools available to her. I am self employed as a construction inspector. Unless I have to be on a site, I work from home, anyway. My work with RW is to develop my company’s web presence and to help my wife host her blog.

Because of health issues I have had in the past, my family has mostly self-quarantined. I travel only when I have no option.

2 Likes

My wife and I set up a weekday schedule: up at 7:30 a.m., breakfast, toilet, tidying up the house, checking email for me, and then it was off for two hours of homework, from 10 a.m. to noon. Then I prepare the meal for my wife who works in the health field. Then, I have to go back to work from 3 to 5 p.m., and then I play games while waiting for my wife to come back at 7:30 p.m. Not really what we call restful days but we try not to strain each other, and take advantage of it to get together. The TV is also limited so that the kids can help me with things like cooking: we take advantage of this time to try to integrate them into our daily chores. We try to resume a more human and closer life.

3 Likes

Yes, fake news continues to blame Trump for everything. When he was quick to block flights from China he was a racist who was over-reacting. I am very happy with Trump’s response to Corona. While I believe there are agencies that failed us, now isn’t the time for finger-pointing. Hindsight is always 20/20. Blaming Trump for an agency not being prepared is just silly.

Many stupid things were done by several countries regarding Corona. We should live and learn… if the wrong people are running an agency or department we can worry about that later. Right now let us all be together and be kind to one another. Help others if you are able. Those who are sickly or over 60 play it extra safe. Everybody else needs to follow what the experts say as well.

Peace and good health to all.

1 Like

After another trip to the supermarket it distinctly looks like people were planning to see out the apocalypse on a diet of pasta and chopped tomatoes, but were worried that their cooking skills was going to cause severe food poisoning…

1 Like

One of the things that I find so frustrating is the lack of wholemeal bread flour. I usually bake 2 or 3 loaves a week but. Now I’m going to the shops more often in the hope of finding some.