Removing Resources has no impact on project file size

My next question is why are you concerned with the project file size?

I did a bunch of “stress” testing with RapidWeaver 8 while beta testing stacks 4. Stacks 4 introduced the “site image” stack that’s only available with RW8 as it uses the revamped RapidWeaver resources.

I intentionally Made projects where the files sizes got over a gigabyte each for a single page site using the new site image stack and having the Site Resources option set at Copy into Document.

I then made exact copies of the projects and changed them over to use “warehouse” images instead.

Here’s what I found, the projects that used the revitalize RW8 resources open much faster than the warehoused projects. They also preview (or simulator) almost instantaneously.

What really was impressive to me was how much more smoothly the editing is when using the new site image stack (uses the internal RW8 resources), in comparison to the same warehoused page that gets more and more “jerky” and “bouncy” as the page get larger.

So if the reason you’re concerned about your project file size is performance of RW8, it’s not being caused by using the built-in resources in RW8. I didn’t run a test yet comparing the older stacks image stack (the default for RW7 and/or stacks 3) or a test with an image stack that has a well in the inspector.

If you think about it makes sense, images loading from your local hard drive will be much faster than loading from over the internet.

Should you be using the Revamped resources in RW8?

• If RW performance is a concern then yes, the built-in resources seem to effect RapidWeavers edit and preview in a very positive way.
  • If local disk space is an issue than you might want to shy away from the built-in resources. The only way I would recommend using built-in resources is to have the Site Resources option set to Copy into the document. Having it set to Leave in plce is just asking for trouble. Sometime in the future, you’re going to do some housekeeping, move files delete old files rename stuff. If any of the resources in any rapidweaver project are affected by that housekeeping you’ll break your project.
  • if Managing the publishing of individual or groups of resources is a concern then warehousing might be a better option. Although RW seems to do a good job keeping track of what needs to be published in resources, there’s no way currently to re-publish individual, folders or even all resources. If for whatever reason any resources need to republished the only option is to publish all files.
4 Likes