RW opening multiple copies of itself after stack installation

RW7 has always done this but it appears to be getting worse with RW7.3.3

This image below shows what happens after a new stack is dragged onto the RW dock icon when RW is open and has a project loaded. RW shows a message that RW needs to relaunch and then 1, 2 or even 3 (as shown) extra running app icons appear.

See http://d.pr/i/25uCcY

OSX 10.11.6, stacks up to date (not beta)

Anyone else seeing this?

1 Like

It’s not an RW problem it’s a MacOS problem, if you Google ‘mac dock duplicate icons’ you’ll find results going back years.

3 Likes

Interesting. I have only ever seen it with RW.

Not too many apps have plugins/themes that get updated, that’s why you don’t see it happen with other apps.

2 Likes

There is a complication, because if there are any project files open when you install a stack, then 3 new versions of RW can “re-launch” each with the same files open. They then have to be closes one by one.

The lesson learnt is not to have any file open when installing a stack.

2 Likes

Having a project open when doing an stack update is just asking for trouble.
When a stacks is updated any open project is refreshed/reloaded to ensure that if the stack being updated is currently in use it gets the updated settings, this will obviously take a little time on a biggish project … but it gets worse …
A lot of stacks (files) contain multiple stacks, when one of these get an update and you have an open project(s) then you might as well go make a coffee as each individual stack will cause a complete refresh/reload of the project, some of the bigger suites have 30ish stacks within one file, that’s 30 complete refreshes of the open project(s)

Basically … do not have a project open when updating stacks.

2 Likes

I agree with Paul, it’s asking for trouble.

What I do is create a 1 or 2-page test project file (which I use for testing various stacks/settings) and have that open when I want to check for stack updates. No impact to my real projects that way.

Fred

1 Like

Totally agree, but when you have RW open and are doing many other things and you forget that you have a temp project file open to fault find an issue, it is not too difficult to do it. However, this issue happens on new stacks which don’t exist in an open project file so I don’t think it is related to a stack being updated that is used in an open file.