Safari 8 as rendering engine?

Currently, RW 8.1 identifies itself as Safari 8/OS X 10.10.3 (desktop) and Safari 8/iOS 8.3 (iPad, iPhone).

I recently ran into a bug that makes me think that the rendering engine used is also that of Safari 8. If that’s indeed the case, I would really appreciate it if it was updated to the current version (Safari 12).

1 Like

if you pull up the web inspector in Preview mode, switch to the console, click All in the toolbar to show all messages, then at the prompt type:

navigator.userAgent

you’ll see:

"Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_10_3) AppleWebKit/600.6.3 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0.6 Safari/600.6.3" = $2

This is indeed a custom version of webkit. I’m not sure why RW uses custom webkit, but it is definitely behind by a couple years.

You can do something similar in Stacks. You have to enable the developer console and developer info to be able to use the web inspector in Stacks edit mode. But if you do that, and run the same JS command as above, the output on my machine is:

"Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_14_1) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko)" = $2

It may be different on your machine. Stacks Edit mode uses the installed version of the webkit framework. So whatever version of Safari you have, that’s what you get in Stacks.

It may be that RW is shipping with a specific – or even modified – version of webkit to work around sandboxing issues. WebKit has been slowly tightening down the thumbscrews on Content Security Policy and how that relates to displaying local file system URLs – which is pretty much what Preview mode is.