Sneak Preview: Instantly live share RapidWeaver previews over HTTPS [download]

Hey everyone!

A few months ago, I introduced myself as a new plugin author. I’m happy to report some really great progress on my first plugin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLNNs0zJc6Q

The stand-alone window shares the same code as the plugin, but made it much easier for me to test (without having to reinstall the plugin for each build).

The main functionality works: when an “Emporter” page is created in a RapidWeaver project, it creates a URL (on demand) which synchronizes with the preview server. This URL can be accessed anywhere over HTTPS, over any network. It also works even if the preview server is restarted, and without publishing/deploying any code. It should really help people with mobile design.

I think all that’s left is to make a nice UI around the actual plugin and add support for the Sparkle updates.

I’d love to hear your feedback, if any! Otherwise, I’ll try to get a beta ready soon.

Cheers

2 Likes

:+1: :+1:

2 thumbs up from me. Very cool!

Awesome, this is looking great, when do you think this will go live?

Cheers
Dan

This looks great!

Depending on how demanding my main job is, I should be able to have it ready in two weeks. I’ll have to submit an update to the Mac App Store first, which is always a little hard to predict :slight_smile:

I noticed that a Tweet from (@.rapidweaver) sharing the video was posted earlier… could we keep it under wraps for now until it’s had a little more polish? I’d love the publicity once it’s ready!

Thanks

Sorry about that, already removed it, as I noticed the video was unlisted!

1 Like

I’ve made pretty decent progress today, the first screen (of two) is pretty much done:

I ran into another sandboxing issue though, I’ll follow up in the other thread. :frowning:

The good news is, though, that it’s another one-line fix (to add to RapidWeaver’s entitlements).

1 Like

That looks :ok_hand:

This looks brilliant. I can’t wait to try a Beta! I can see some serious uses for this plugin.

Good news, I’ve just submitted an update to the Mac App Store which adds support for RapidWeaver. The plugin is done, too, and works with RapidWeaver’s updater. Very exciting!

I should be able to ship it once 8.3 is ready (with updated entitlements) :tada:

4 Likes

That’s awesome to hear, hopefully 8.3 will ship soon-ish!

Cheers
Dan

2 Likes

Awesome! I’ve emailed you and @tpbradley a pre-release version of the plugin if you want to take a look before it goes live. :zap:

Hey everyone!

I’ve just published the first release of the plugin — check it out on GitHub! If you have time, please give it a try and let me know what you think.

I’m going to post it publicly (Twitter, the main forum, etc) soon, but I want to get a proper product page / video together first. In the mean time, if we could keep it semi-private, that’d be great.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Hi @mikey thanks for making it,
I’ve tried to launch RW after installing the plugin and get this screen.

I’m using RapidWeaver 8.3 (20799) if it helps

:scream:

That’s strange! I just tried it in a fresh Mojave VM and it worked fine. It actually requires atleast version 20799, so that’s not the problem.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention! I’ll follow up in a private message, hopefully that’s not the case for other people.

edit: I just realized that I set the plugin’s deployment target to macOS 10.14.4. I’ve rebuilt and re-released it to match RW (10.11)

Really nice @mikey. Works a treat!!

I’m guessing that the auto-generated url (using rw project name) shown in the Emporter widget is only usable with a subscription - otherwise you need to use the less readable version shown in the plugin?

Yeah, that’s the idea :slight_smile:

Without a subscription, the URL will be different every time it’s created, and you can only create one at a time.

1 Like

This looks very :sunglasses:. FYI, I put it on a project that uses @joeworkman PageSafe stack but Emporter bypasses the login requirement. Maybe you two can talk?