šŸ‘‹ Blogging with Stacks Plugin Power - Say hello to Poster Stack

Beautiful and a very useful stack!
Iā€™m currently using RW 6 and Iā€™m wondering if I probably need RW 7 to use Poster stack in itā€™s optimal form. I have some small issues now. For example I canā€™t click on the ā€˜read moreā€™ button to read may full post in preview mode. And some settings in the ā€˜poster stylingā€™ area are not working. Is that due to my RW 6 using?
Thanks in advance.
Anne

1 Like

Hi @Anne
If you are talking about the preview mode inside RW6, thatā€™s the case at it is. RW7 brings full preview capabilities.

But if you are talking about a published site, that should work.

1 Like

@Anne - make sure your page is named index.php (index.html might work depending on your page design) as these links wonā€™t work otherwise. I had this same problem (using RW7) and Jannis told me that I needed the page name to be such. I had named it something else.

Hope this helps, Fred

1 Like

@smokyhills Hi Fred,
Thanks for you response. I checked it but my page was already named index.php. So unfortunately in my case that wasnā€™t the problem.

Anne

Hi @instacks Thanks!
I indeed didnā€™t published the page. But also when I did so for testing my read more link didnā€™t work. I had been send to a totally other page at my website. Do you think it would be better or even necessary to buy RW7?

Thanks in advance. Anne

1 Like

Hi Anne,
Please send me a link to your website, either via email or as direct message.

2 Likes

Better, yes. Necessary, maybe. Iā€™m sure @instacks / Jannis will get your issues sorted out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had a stacks page with nearly 500 stacks (Doobox Hunter 3, not Poster) and whilst it performed perfectly when published, in edit mode I can tell you it wasnā€™t happy at all. Text areas jumped around when edirted and every ā€˜saveā€™ took about 20-30 seconds. These problems started at around 250/280 stacks and got slowly more of a headache the more I added after that. In the end I reworked it completely to use less stacks with more text in each - not something applicable to Poster. Stacks is a fantastic product but not built for 1000 blog posts!

Poster really is spectacularly good. Iā€™ve recently set up my blog using it and am loving it (itā€™s here if you are interested).

I have a couple of questions though (probably for @instacks)ā€¦

1. The tags / categories added in Draft posts seem to be included in the archive lists. Can this be prevented? Or do I just need to do my tagging prior to making a post live?
  2. I use my own header for the title so that I can format exactly as i like. Is there a way to get this to link to the post? I know header images automatically link to the post.
1 Like

Thanks Steve. They do look similar! I think the sticky sidebar works really well with this. Both very nice :slight_smile:

Stuart: How are you creating your Categories and Tags areas in the sidebar area? I know you are using Foundry. Any particular stacks you use for this? I donā€™t think there are category, tag stacks in Poster so I assume you are doing these links manually.

Nicely done use of Poster!

1 Like

While you are waiting for Stuart to reply I set up a blog for my grandsons a while back where I placed the Tags and Categories in a one column stack containing two paragraph stacks, one each for the Tags and the Category. At present, Iā€™ve put that inside a Pin Stack from Big White Duck and placed that in the second column of a two column stack. The Poster stacks are in the first column and then I just played with the layout until I got something I liked.

<a href=".?tag=Thomas">Thomas</a>
<a href=".?category=Airplane">Airplane</a>

Hi Matthew, you can access the categories and tags using the code outlined in the poster tutorial page here: https://instacks.com/posterstack/tutorial/?post=blog-archive#tutorial

Thanks all for your replies!

@SteveB: CSS snippets are useful! Itā€™s useful to have a library of Poster-related ones simply for inspiration and future planning.

@habitualshaker: I had completely missed that help page. Perfect info and easy to use. Many thanks.

@dks035: Thanks for the further ideas!

Great looking blog and amazing that Poster & Foundry can create this. Regarding your header link question, a good way is to put all of your content into a BWD Blueprint ONE which has a link feature.

The archives shouldnā€™t include tags and categories for draft items. Will fix that in the next update.

Own headers / titles would have to be linked manually. More interesting would be what is missing in the settings to build the title as you would like to have it.

Cheers!

Thanks Jannis. An update to address the draft tags issue would be great.

In terms of what I would like to seeā€¦I guess I would like to see an option to make all Summary content link to the post. (Iā€™ll try Blueprint One in the meantime. Thanks for the tip @webdeer).

Iā€™ve also had big issues trying to use partials with Poster. I thought it would be good to make a Partial for each ā€˜typeā€™ of blog post (i.e. Tips & Tricks, or ā€˜Tutorialā€™ etc) to make re-use nice and easy (obviously unpacking the partial after it has been added). This caused big issues though with things like Titles showing in the published post even though the checkbox to show them was unchecked. Everything looks fine in Preview but not when published. Is this a known issue? I still think using Partials might be a good way to go if these odd things didnā€™t happen.

Thanks Steve. No - definitely changed that. Itā€™s just the title was appearing in the Header/Summary even though the checkbox to ā€˜Display Titleā€™ was unchecked. Also the default Read More link showed in the published content even though ā€˜Display Moreā€™ was unchecked.

All looked good in preview which is odd.

Partials wonā€™t work, as each item needs to have a unique tilte / slug, etc.

Thanks Steve. Iā€™ll just avoid Partials with Poster (though I do still think what I was trying to do - i.e. unpacking the partial each time and re-titling etc - should work!).