What is the purpose of this?

@dan — Any news or progress on this fix?

I recommend installing 7.2 beta. There, this preview pop up button vanished.

1 Like

@instacks Thanks, Jannis, will do.

1 Like

Ref 7.2 beta

@dan — Nice work, great improvement!

Marten

3 Likes

Can anyone tell me what the “Performing an unoptimized export” means? I want to know if there’s something I should be doing. Or is this just referring to not minifying css & javascript?

That’s has only something to do with Plugins, not stacks (with lower case, so stack elements).

1 Like

I use RW each and every day and I have never seen that msg… Could it be caused by particular plugin?

RapidWeaver 7.1 added some new APIs that allow plugins to take advantage of much quicker site exports - we’re talking significant improvements. However, some plugins weren’t able to take advantage of these changes so we needed to provide plugin developers with a way of opting their plugins out.

When you see “Performing an upoptimized export”, it means that plugin doesn’t take advantage of these new APIs. In most cases plugin developers are aware, but it wouldn’t hurt to drop them a note and see if they plan on supporting the new APIs any time soon.

Make sure you’re running the latest version of the plugin too.

The only plugin I use is Stacks and with RW7.41 I now see the “Performing an unoptimized export” message which did not appear before 7.41 AFAIK. I will drop Yourhead a note? Also I do not see “much quicker exports” comparing RW7 to RW6.

I’ve started seeing the ‘unoptimized export’ message since the last one or two Stacks updates.

I received a Stacks update notice a couple of weeks back. I left it a few days then updated. Since then I’ve received another 3 or 4 update notices.
I haven’t subscribed to the Stacks beta but I now feel as though I’m part of it!

If you’re only using plugins that don’t take advantage of the new plugin export features, you won’t see faster exports.

Some plugins can automatically use the new APIs and don’t need to be updated. Others, unfortunately, do need to be updated, and as I mentioned above it’s not always simple to do that.

So why not just say “Exporting”? Nothing worse that software informing you that the long preview delay, is due to using the unoptimised plugin that hasn’t been updated to take advantage of the “significant improvements” to speed.

RapidWeaver used to say that, and we had lots of feedback from customers saying they’d like to actually know what the export is doing.

Some people like their hot dogs with mustard and some with ketchup. You can’t please all the people all the time. :slight_smile:

3 Likes