What to replace my iMac?

(Doug Bennett) #21

He did a podcast on this:

The link to his blog (had more detail) is a 404 now:

(Dan) #22

Here’s the link: https://www.dancounsell.com/how-to-build-a-hackintosh/

I’ve been mainly using a MacBook Pro for the portability recently, building a Hackintosh is good fun, but only attempt it if you know what you’re getting yourself into. It’s not the same as just buying a Mac from Apple.

Good luck!

(Doug Bennett) #23

Did you experience any compatibility issues?
Might be fun to give it a try.

(steve bee) #24

I’m pretty sure I once hackintoshed an old Dell one. Least I think it was a Dell. I approached things the wrong way, using a hacked version of Tiger to work on thr hardware, opposed to hanging the hardware to suit the os. It was horrible. Booted a few times then died.

Near positive I also got os x on an old netbook too, recall that being horrible too.

Wouldn’t have the patience to do it now though.

(Will Woodgate) #25

The new iMac Pro only gets a 3 out-of 10 score for fixability, which is pretty horrendous for a ‘pro grade’ workstation and in reflection of how much it costs:

Again one of the major complaints is Apple using custom SSDs and soldering parts like the graphics cards onto the logic board. Technically there is no reason for Apple to solder key components onto the logic board, especially on a desktop which isn’t very portable and not subjected to the same knocks and bumps that a laptop is. I get the sense it’s done on purpose to shorten the life of these machines and encourage people to landfill them instead of upgrading. I hope the updated Mac Mini’s and Mac Pro’s don’t go the same direction!

@teefers I have never built a Hackintosh myself. The only time I have read of compatibility issues is the documentation for Screenflow specifically mentions that they provide no compatibility or support for non-Apple hardware. So I guess some software vendors may have a way of detecting what hardware their product is being used on and may choose to limit its compatibility.

(Gary) #26

I completely agree. Modern Macs are designed for early landfill. The strategy will also push up the price because the cost of warranty repairs will also go up - all passed onto the customer of course.

When Apple designed the Cube in 2000 they added an external PSU, ram slots, a standard IDE drive, an industry standard PCI graphics slot, a chassis that could be removed in seconds and even included a large fan space with connectors in case the user needed to add a fan. In other words a true Pro level computer. These features in a Mac Mini would (again) make a great product. Fingers crossed but not expecting it to happen.

(steve bee) #27

I wonder how much longer that approach from the devs will last though Will. Many are moving away from Macs for all the reasons given above: Excluding the fanboys, most users, even longterm hardcore users, are seeing Macs for what they are nowadays: Overpriced underperforming trinkets. As more move away the devs market base shrinks.

What concerns me most with a lot of apps is a lack of backwards compatibility regards the OS. More and more updates to apps are coming out that require the latest OS, and as older machines are no longer supporting newer versions we are once again forced to upgrade.

Sadi it before, say it again, the iPhone, and the mentality it instilled in Apple, is bad for the Mac platform.

(Doug Bennett) #28

Apple is all about iPhones now, and that two years and time to replace mentality is kept them in the money. Unfortunately replacing a desktop/notebook is a much more significant investment of both time and money than swapping phones is.

(steve bee) #29

Not sure they are all about the iPhone now. Five years ago, yes, now, not so much. The smartphone market has plateaued and is saturated. Apple like most are scratching their heads wondering what the next cash cow will be. Last time they were in this position the plastic fantastic Macbook was born (read, cheap) so things might be on the change.

(tangerine62) #30

Well I’m not a designer nor an html guy but I program in many languages and I use the same Hackintosh since Mavericks.
Sure you have to know what you are doing but it works and very very fast

(Doug Bennett) #31

If you can put out a phone for a thousand bucks+ and have a waiting list from people to buy it, no need to look for the next cash cow.
Apple is still making record profits, and it’s that two-year cycle of replacing phones that keep them the most cash-rich company in the world.
And hey if you don’t want a new phone they’ll slow down your old one for you :wink:
A lot of the problem with Apple is there’s a business person running the show now not a innovator.

(steve bee) #32

Ya, can’t argue with any of that, I still feel that the smart phone market is slowing. How many units do they shift PA now compared to 2011? Less I’m guessing, hence the crazy high prices: They need a certain level of revenue flow PA to satisfy investors, and if your unit sales are dropping you increase prices.

I dunno though, like many others I’m just getting frustrated with the whole thing. I need a Mac to work, but it’s like that requirement is turning me into a walking wallet for Apple. @PaulRussam dropped in briefly yesterday for a chat (always nice to see you Paul), this subject came up, I’m thinking my old 2010 iMac might be a good keep now, just rebuild it if/when things die. It’s one of the last ones that can actually be rebuilt with reasonable ease.

The Hackintosh thing interests me a lot though. I’ve no time or inclination (or skill) to do it myself, but thinking there must be people out there who will build be one.

(mark hunter) #33

Does anyone have any recommendations for a 3rd party 27" ‘retina’ display to use with a MacBook pro, or are people just using a good 2560x1440 like the Benq one that @dave is using?

(Simon) #34

I have a iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) and have had no issues with heat at all. I rip videos, audio, develop websites and so on.

I also have growing suspicion that Apple’s days are numbered if they do not innovate. After 10 years on an iPhone I have recently moved to the Galaxy Note 8 which brings back the “smart” in smartphone. I had an iPhone 6+, but found too little different between that and the iPhone 8. In a 4 year period little had been done to innovate.

I’ve been using mac since 2007 moving over from Windows after the best ever Windows OS; Win2KPro; died. I found the apple architecture much better at handling graphics back then, which was my main need at the time.

I think the whole smartphone and computer industry is changing. There are many simultaneous changes that are all having an impact. The proliferation of the subscription model was one of the main reasons I switched to Android. I was unwilling to pay all the subscriptions my existing software vendors wanted. About 6 went to a subscription model within 2 months. Once I decided not to use them the iPhone became fairly moot, as its values was syncing data from my mac. Ironically, getting data from my mac onto my android is much easier than I thought as it has an actual file system!

I cannot see Apple changing its “soldering” policy on new mac minis as they would lose sales on all their other macs. I’ve used Other World Computing parts in the past and this has served me well on my 2007 MBP, which is still running. The newer macs though would need the purchase of a soldering iron :wink:

Does anyone know the state of play of macOS in a VM environment? That might be worth considering in the future if it is mature enough. You can then build your own machine.

(Brad Francis) #35

I was in the same situation as you 6 months ago. I purchased a i7 Quad Mac Mini Server (Late 2012) 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 + 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 + 2 x SSD 1TB drives. The SSD are Raid 0. I coupled it up to 2 monitors - 1 Portrait 27" and 1 Landscape curved screen 32" Samsung. I purchased the Mac Mini on eBay for only AUD$780.

I’m very happy with the setup and performance. I still have a iMac 27
i5 with 8GB RAM and 1TB HDD. It’s a total dog compared to the Mac Mini.

(George Peacock) #36

I like the Mini. We have two and I got the last one just before they started soldering on the RAM. Cheap to upgrade to 16GB, also replaced the HDD with an SSD.
Works fine with a dual monitor setup, thought its not retina ready given the graphics. However works really well.

Also have a MBP 2010 which I am thinking of replacing and agree re other comments re the specs and prices not being asked for by Apple. Those I know who have a MBP with the touch bar say they don’t really appreciate its value. I have actually been wondering about buying a std Macbook just for portal use. Seems from what I have seen and read about that it is faster than it might first appear on paper. Not sure though if you could use with multi-monitors.

Anyway am with the others in this post re hoping Apple releases an updated Mini and one that can be self upgraded. Perhaps just wait and see unless you really have to change now…?

(Rob Beattie) #37

I love the older Mac minis. I bought one off eBay with 8GB and a 500GB SSD to run Logic Pro X (and nothing else). Really good little machine.

(Peter Danckwerts) #38

Yes, I hate Apple’s attitude. I would rather have a less slim, easy to set up, modular computer than an iMac.

(Colin) #39

From all the comments above, it looks like I might be the only person to have enjoyed 3 iMacs in a row, starting with a white one, with only one crash headache along the way, which proved to be a software conflict and not the ‘replace the hard’ drive fault my ‘expert’ repairer suggested.

My current 21.5" iMac has an i7 processor and 16GB and I find this copes with everything from Word to Final Cut Pro X smoothly and efficiently. A little above SteveB’s budget but screen size is ample for most tasks - especially when your product is likely to end up on tablet and phone sized screens, anyway.

My only real grouse is a design that is slimmed too far to put SD Card and headphone ports on front or side, rather then having us all grovel around the back.

A tad expensive, yes, but the iMac is a good workhorse, unless you want extra power or modular flexibility. And having just set up someone’s PC for them, Mac’s are sheer bliss!

(Konstantijn Van Calster) #40

Related to the Mac, I’ve been on macs for a long time. I have had most of them; several generations and models of iMac’s some of them configured to the maximum, MacPro (the previous version-model) configured to the maximum top range, Mac mini, several MBA and now I am using a retina MBP '15, connected along with 2 screens '27 '. I’m looking in a couple of months to get another, new MBP TouchBar, but waiting for the 32RAM version if it arrives, or maybe a new generation of MacPro. I was also considering maybe buying the new iMacPro instead, but yes, in fact, very expensive, without form of configuration.

Going back on this topic, I suppose I am satisfied with the macs because I’m accustomed and there are not many other alternatives; I do not want to go to Windows, Linux or go to a Hackintosh. And yes, like many others, I can not say that I am totally satisfied with the Mac; I also had many problems with instability, etc., but what other alternative can we have if we want to stay with mac-OS and the excellent AppleCare service. I just hope they focus, I doubt, again on the the desktop models for the professional market. Yes in fact Apple, the mac’s, are not as before. Unfortunately not.