What to replace my iMac?

(Gary) #61

Agreed. Most Mac users should not even dream about opening up a Mac. My point was that it isn’t a big job in terms of time needed and tools required. Ifixit overrates times as part of its dumbing down for the average user.

But if you’re the type of person who will replace a battery in your iPhone without a second thought, then it’s an easy short job.

However, we wouldn’t even be having these conversations if Apple sold what we the Mac users want.

(Doug Bennett) #62

Right now current models in desktop style, I would consider the 27” retina iMac (NOT the pro) as it still has user installable memory (hatch) and can be configured with a descent Size SSD, has good graphics options, and good choices on the processor. Of course, it’s expensive, and I have concerns about the heat issue.
The new Mac mini is okay, but you’ll need to “max” out the configuration from Apple to make a reasonable workstation, and that puts you in the price range of for mentioned iMac.

(Greg Schneck) #63

Another option I’ve used in the past with great success. Cheaper than new but with full warranty. TRY A REFURB

(Bill Fleming) #64

I still want a used or refub mac however if waiting will drop those used mac price even further then I will wait.

My plan to find a good mac mini that I can swap out the harddrive with a SSD and upgrade the memory because I am only going to use it for RW7, emall, graphic editing, web surfing. That pretty much it.

I use my Windows PC for everything else plus gaming. I am a 52 year old and an old school PC gamer so I don’t want to spend a whole lot on mac but I want to get the best deal out of a used one that work best for RW

(Doug Bennett) #65

Bill(@TechBill) ,
Don’t know if you’ve checked here but OWC has used (already upgraded) mac minis, most if not all have a 14-day money back/ 90-day warranty.

(Bill Fleming) #66

Thank for the link, I will bookmark it.

I noticed that on the deal on some of the mini includes Parallels for free. So Mini can load and run Windows10 too?

(Doug Bennett) #67

I have never tried Windows 10, but I know Windows 8.1 worked fine, so Windows 10 should be no problem. I haven’t used Parallel for several years, I switched to VirtualBox from Oracle. VirtualBox is open source (free) and has versions for Windows, OSX, Linux, and Solaris OS. So you can run the same Virtual software both ways.
With any VM (Parallel, VirtualBox, etc.) memory is a must, with enough memory, you can have multiple VMs running at the same time.

(Karen) #68

I have two Macs: a mid-2012 Mini and a new MacBook Pro TouchBar laptop. The Mini was a replacement for my old 17" (PPC) PowerBook - not because it died, but because nothing would run on the Motorola chip any more. I bought the older Mini over the newer one, because it was user-upgradeable. I added the max amount of RAM, selling the old back to OWC for almost nothing because I didn’t have a use for it. I bought an SSD and the disk-doubler kit from OWC. Installed the new drive alongside the original spinner, using the SSD for the OS and the spinner for data, including iTunes library (SSD space is expensive). Boot time went from over a minute to 15 seconds. The Mini is booted and running in 15 seconds.

That said … at one point the hard drive on the PowerBook was failing, so I bought an external FireWire enclosure and disk. You can boot a Mac off a FireWire disk. I used the external drive for about two years as the main hard drive for the PowerBook, until I had time to open it and replace the internal drive. I bought that laptop in December 2004, and it is still operating. It’s used just for web browsing and email by a family member and it works fine.

I have no complaints about my 2012 Mini, except I realized I really did need a laptop, so I got one. I figure I might as well get the new one, and keep it forever. It might be marginally cheaper to just keep trading up to last year’s model, but I do enjoy the rush of a new computer so I indulge. If you need to replace a desktop, you can probably find a user-upgradeable Mini for cheap. But since your iMac is working, what about just getting an external drive and cloning your internal drive to it? You can use SuperDuper to back up your current machine to that drive and make it bootable. Then if the iMac dies, just boot off the external and keep on truckin’.

As a bonus, the mid-2012 Mini has hella ports for whatever peripheral you have around, unlike the new Mac Book Pro with has USB-C. Period.

(system) #69

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.