What's a better Mac?

Bit of a new twist here… MacBook Pro w/ SSD vs. iMac with SSD.

My main machine was a 27" iMac (Late 2013 i5, 3.2 GHz, 24 gb ram) and my “hit the road” mirror system a Late 2011 2.2 GHz i7, 8 gb ram MacBook Pro with 27" external monitor for desktop use.

I replaced the internal (system) hard drive of BOTH with SSD’s. So far I have found the MBP to be the faster machine for about everything. In fact, I did the MBP first as a trial and it became my primary machine that same day. While the SSD improves the iMac it does not seem to be as dramatic a speed increase as the MBP. So if I can’t find some speed for the iMac it will remain a “mirror” (backup) system.

If anyone can explain to me why an i7, 2.2 GHZ 8gb ram system is faster than a i5, 3.2GHz 24gb ram system I’d love to know. Perhaps my iMac has an issue?

My old iMac is a 2.5 i5 and it works great. What programs are you running on your iMac that are slow. I run the adobe suite one app at a time and almost everything I do is instant. It is a mid 2011… On occasion I will have up to 3 Adobe apps open and all runs well.

I would upgrade if I thought it would do something for me.

I am a big believer in clean installs for OS updates. It probably takes me 12 hours of time to be up and running fully but I break it down and typically load software as I need it or have extra time.

I have upgraded 4 iMacs for family and friends with SSD’s. All have been very happy and have kept their old Mac as opposed to buying new. With the speed of your iMac I am surprised you could be unhappy with it’s performance. I am guessing there is something wrong somewhere. Is the SSD in your iMac a 3g or 6g? If it is a 3g this could be your problem. Otherwise try a clean install… Many times it saves time in the long run.

I am using a top of the range retina MBP 15 ‘with 3 external 27’ monitors. In case of portability is always a plus.

The SSD is 1TB and I keep my system drive down to under 60% use. When I installed the SSD I used Time Machine/Recovery to “recover” the new disk. (Build the new disk.) Perhaps I do need a clean install.

Something is definitely wrong as sometimes when I open RW I actually see it create a temp project file folder which sits there for a second or two. I’ve never seen that before…

The size of the SSD doesn’t tell the performance. Your mac can handle a 6g drive. Perhaps the drive you installed is a 3G. A 3g drive is literally half as fast. If you go to the System Information (option click the Apple) and click on the Sata area it should identify your drive.

Who said anything about size of SSD affecting performance? I replaced my 1T hard drive with a 1T SSD.

Is it a 6g or a 3g drive? That will tell a lot about how fast it is. My point was that you mention the drive size but not the speed of the drive. I am trying to help you figure out why your laptop is faster than your iMac.

Both drives are exactly the same… I installed fresh OSX and problem seems to have gone away. Thanks for trying to help. I appreciate it. Both are 6g btw…

Sorry for the late reply… Perfect u fixed the issue… I knew something was wrong or that the drive in the iMac was the slower 3G speed. A side note… I always prefer a clean install when dealing with a new OS. I generally start with backing up drive and then updating. Once I know the new OS works as expected with all my needed software I then do a fresh install.

I have upgraded the OS in this fashion for many years. I would guess it has been between 7 and 10 in total. While doing a clean install is work I am always happy I did it. My Macs just seem to run better.