Wit's End About Publishing (Resolved)

Hi Gavin,

an alternative might be to switch to a more Rapidweaver-friendly hosting service like Chillidog. @barchard knows Rapidweaver inside out, builds stacks for RW and also offers professional hosting. I’ve almost never had problems publishing to Chillidog and whenever there’s been an issue, Greg has solved it. Just a thought.

1 Like

I’m like a hosting genie that appears whenever anyone @ me :stuck_out_tongue:

Happy to help. My guess is that they don’t support FTPS and need to use FTP or SFTP. I’d also recommend reducing the publishing speed to 2 or 3 (less threads = easier to troubleshoot and rule out issues)

Cheers,
Greg

2 Likes

Hi @robbeattie, thanks for the input. You’re probably right. But I am in South Africa and use the Rand (ZAR) where the exchange rate can be OK and then really bad to the US$ and, possibly, attaches the same risk as the Zimbabwe Dollar where, at one time, a Zimbabwean $50 billion bill was worth 33 U.S. cents. But also, my site was publishing really well and then something just changed. There’s also no real explanation for everything being good (FTP, publishing test, browsing through RW) and then it just doesn’t work on publish.

unknown.jpg

If you’re still having publishing issues. Please update to `RapidWeaver 8.8.2, it contains a working Upload Logging feature that can help identify the issue.

How to Enable Upload Logging

To help diagnose any publishing problems we recommend enabling upload logging inside of RapidWeaver. This option can be found here:

Preferences > Publishing > Enable Upload Logging

Once enabled RapidWeaver will log the output of it’s FTP engine.

You can access the logs on a failed publish by pressing the “Send Upload Logs” button in the publishing window.

Pressing the “Send Upload Logs” button will copy the log files into a new email ready to be sent to support@realmacsoftware.com

You can also look at this log to see if you can locate what the error might be.

And just like that, everything is publishing fine with 8.8.2. I first published my site without the FormLoom pages, just to set a baseline of logs I could compare later, then re-added the FormLoom pages and tried to publish and … everything worked just fine. What the heck? I assume some other publishing fixes beyond logging were made in 8.8.2 to account for everything now working, but whatever happened I’m happy it’s up and running.

For those keeping track, note in the screen captures the publishing method and the number of connections. Neither of these, nor any of my server settings, had anything to do with the inability to publish the FormLoom pages, it seems. Something else was up that was fixed by the latest release.

Thanks, all.

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 9.43.49 AM

1 Like

Hi @dan and @tlivernois

Good to see that Tony’s issue’s got resolved. I am not there yet…

Starting yesterday, three of my RW websites will not publish anymore, whereas, strangely, others continue to publish just fine. Some facts and thoughts:

1. Chillidog, so @barchard, ensured me that it’s 99% certain that it is not their servers and pointed me to this forum to see if that can lead to a solution.

2. I have not changed any of the publishing settings, except for after the publishing failures and then only to settings that Chilli recommended. That did not help though.

3. Two of the sites that will not publish anymore actually also have Formloom pages in it - like Tony’s -, but one does not. Also, after deleting the Formloom pages, they still would not publish.

4. I have been on the latest RW version - 8.2.2. - for a while now so that’s not the issue.

5. I did Enable Upload Logging and shared those logs with @dan via email.

6. One thing that did change yesterday: Throughout my multiple RW sites, within individual sites (projects), I had pages with index.html filenames while others carried index.php names. On Chilli’s advise I changed all pages to index.php. I don’t think this will have caused the publishing issues, since some of the sites - now with all pages that used to have .html filenames changed to .php - do still publish without a hitch. And also, for one of the projects that will no longer publish I changed it back to .html and it still will not publish.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim

Update: Now also one of my other sites is not publishing anymore. :open_mouth: :face_with_head_bandage: :thinking:

Hey @Jimmy — What is the exact error you see when you try to publish?

1 Like

OK, it got resolved and it was not a RW issue. It was a disk space problem.

Thank you @dan for all your digging and finding what the cause was.

1 Like

No problem, I will add this to the Help guide as you’re not the first person this has caught out.

Happy Weaving!!!

1 Like