A poor impression to the new user

3 Likes

thank you Robert.

It seems to me that reading or understanding what has been said is being misinterpreted.

I already received an auto response for my first e-mail message. I also donā€™t type my address but it comes from my e-mail contacts addresses. As it is working for every other place I write, I have to assume that it is still the same as it always was.

The software is falling over and does not permit me to publish anything so no URL. I do not even get to see a preview. I did do a screen grab and showed one screen in my dropbox link to Jason above. I cannot export anything so with my inexperience in coding, I have no way of producing anything which would be useful to a developer or a forum member.

I did that.

the software is not working as expected so I cannot even make a basic site.[quote=ā€œzeebe, post:20, topic:10438ā€]
you use the Accordion plugin, do you have the latest version?
[/quote]

I purchased all the latest versions when after purchasing RapidWeaver. I have never used Accordion but used its effect as a description of the way in which I would like to manage about 14 page categories in a blog.

Perhaps it doesā€¦ in which case the earlier point about Realmac being a cottage industry (possibly as a way of excusing the failure to respond in a realistic time-frame to questions or software issues) does not apply.

Help me out hereā€¦ since when did having an emotional attachment to a software tool have any bearing on facts which are reported about that tool?

Thanks for your helpful input. I have already given up on RapidWeaver and Realmac

@jepho There is nothing on this thread explaining what your problems are (other than your complaints about support) until after I and @jabostick said you werenā€™t giving specifics. The pieces you quoted to @Jepho are on different threads. If you have applied a similar level of common sense to using RapidWeaver, Iā€™m not surprised youā€™re having difficulties.

As for your absurd posturing:

I canā€™t really find a polite response.

2 Likes

You persist in demonstrating that you are ineducable. res ipsa loquitur

Accepted. Thank you. [quote=ā€œjabostick, post:22, topic:10438ā€]
(and I donā€™t have any reading comprehension issues either by the way - speaking of invented nonsense)
[/quote]

My apologies for that. [quote=ā€œjabostick, post:22, topic:10438ā€]
Iā€™ll leave it all be, though.
[/quote]

Yes, me too.

@jepho OK, I have seen many times in this thread that you said you are done with Realmac and RapidWeaver. Just have to ask, why keep coming back and posting on this thread? Why not delete your account and move on? Hoping @Aaron or @LaPan will see this and close this thread as it is no longer useful to anyone.

4 Likes

I must sayā€¦ I am walking away from this with a poor impression of the new user.

I wish the new user the best with whatever software he settles on.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not one of the developers, but have been a user of Rapidweaver for many years. And I can say that generally pretty much everyone is happy with Rapidweaver, even though there is an issue here and there as is the case with pretty much all software.

Can you give more details about what exactly is happening? Is it crashing after several minutes of use? Sometimes that occurs because of an old outdated plugin that is not compatible with the new version. If you hold down the option key and disable 3rd party plugins, add-ons, themes, etc., that might give you a clue about whatā€™s happening.

1 Like

If you would be willing to share it, I would love to see your project file. I bet most of us could pin point the issue if we could simply see something. I know that you have exhaustively expressed your issues in words. However, especially for me, seeing something really brings things home.

2 Likes

Yesā€¦Please end his frustration

Hi, @jepho,

I am not a programmer/coder. And I am one of those RW users who experience its (sometimes) problematic functionality. Iā€™ve been known to openly criticize RapidWeaver in the past. But, as much as I would wish for more reliable software, I try to persevere and look for solutions and workarounds. A great portion of that can be achieved with the help ā€“ mostly from members of this forum and from developers of particular add-ons.

If you ask specific, concise, easily understandable questions, most of them will be answered. If you just state that the software is unusable, the only reaction you get is silence (at best) and ridicule (at worst). So, start asking, one question at a time, and you will be up and running sooner than you think. If you want positive results, you need to invest some time and perseverance.

If youā€™ve used another web-creation software (like WordPress, Dreamweaver and such) in the past, you should forget all about it, in order to learn as painlessly as is possible the ways this software works.

Instead of being dismissive and rude, try to better manage your frustration. It will bring better resultsā€¦

5 Likes

Iā€™m sure youā€™ll get an instant refund @jepho itā€™s how they do business at Realmac so donā€™t worry about that. Am sorry it didnā€™t work out for you.

1 Like

I must say, posters on here are absolutely kind and generous. You have all shown that patience is a virtue. I for one appreciate the time and effort many of you, who are on here often, contribute.

Thank you.

6 Likes

You are correct, software support has become abysmal in recent months, but there is a very big ā€˜BUTā€™

RapidWeaver is a product from a very small and passionate team. In real times, previous to the ā€˜App revolutionā€™, this would have been a sensibly priced piece of software. We have all got used to cheap and cheap does not pay developers and to hire additional team members. When I say sensible, I mean GBP150 - Ā£250 because that is what this software is really worth, not Ā£60. There is a constant demand from users for change and for new features: with a small team, trying to satisfy that demand does not mean stability. Even the major players are having the same issues with stability and support. Look at Adobe forums.

Moving onwards. RW does have some issues, but the forum and support network here is totally unequalled for Wordpress. WP is free, but when things go wrong, a project can be kissed goodbye. I have been there. This forum is a lifeline, a group of colleagues, and in some cases friends. Even senior developers (Joe Workman and many others) are not afraid to muck in help users out with other peopleā€™s products (and their own too).

Rapid Weaver + stacks = a product that is very hard to beat for its power, flexibilty and ease of use.

By all means grab your refund, but in all honesty, you do know what you are missing.

Nick

3 Likes

FYI the OP did request and receive his refund yesterday.

Thanks for all the kind words. I really appreciate all the help the members of this community offers up on a daily basis!

4 Likes

The words of a true businessman @SteveB
Your experience and knowledge is very valuable. Completely agree with your synopsis and well said :+1:

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to say, be careful here. RW has the problem of being significantly more expensive than you might initially expect. The cost of RW itself is only the beginning - you then have the pretty much mandatory cost for Stacks. Then the stacks themselves and whatever themes you buy. And the premium videos to learn how to use it all. And many parts of this have to be upgraded every year or so.

If youā€™re a professional web site designer, then all that cost is of course trivial. But Iā€™m guessing the majority of users of RW are putting up a page for their bridge club, or trying to slap up something simple for their small business. It would be very easy for RealMac to price themselves right out of that market.

1 Like

If it is decided to move to an upscale market. Be sure the market is big enough and clearly define the new marketā€™s needs.

There is a lot of free or almost free website builders that are good enough. They have online web interfaces with permissions that allow the end client to do what they want without messing with the designer/webmasterā€™s stuff. Lots of drag and drop WYSIWYG. The search engines are good enough to read through most of the code and scripts. Simply, a webmaster is just not as critical as it used to be. Someone to do the work for me is good enough, the software does the rest most of the time.

Also, if you go for the professional market things like difficult, sloppy, buggy releases will not be tolerated. At that point the platform is messing with the wallets of its clients.

IMO, RapidWeaver is not mature enough to compete in the overall professional market. It is stuck somewhere in between, easy to use most of the time with glimpses of brilliance.

This is just wrong.

Tell me any other web design application (apart from WP or other CMS software like Typo3, Joomla) with this amount of external addons and plugins.

People just looking at the core of RW do not see the power of these addons/plugins. You can do everything with RW.

2 Likes

Quantity does not mean anything, quality is the issue. We are talking ā€œPROā€ level.