The Apple event is on tonight and it’s the first one with John Turnus as CEO, from the rumours it sounds like it’s going to be good one… I’m looking forward to learning all about the iPhone Duo
Anyone else watching? or will you just visit the Apple site later to find out what’s new?
As I’m working on an iOS app at the moment, I’m trying to wrap my head around the complications the Duo introduces. I had just gotten to a “don’t need the icon panel at the bottom” design, but that would leave open space on the right of the front screen. So now I’m rethinking my UI (again). I’m not sure if I should go with a “full screen” approach or use the icon panel.
On the other hand, I do travel a lot, and with both an iPhone and an iPad Mini, so the Duo would allow me to drop a device.
I’m just hesitant to drop that much money on a first generation product. For example both the Apple Vision Pro and the iPhone Air flopped hard. Yes there will probably be an iPhone Air 2, but I feel like Apple is doing that because they backed themselves into a corner with it, not because they believe in the product’s future.
I’ll probably wait until the third or fourth generation to see if A) It’s a successful product, B) Apple is committed to its continued development, and C) If developers are going to embrace building for it (making sure their apps look good on it).
In the meantime, I’m really excited about the camera on the iPhone 18 Pro and Pro Max. That should level up shooting footage with my DJI Osmo Mobile 8P.
I have the iPhone Air, and I like it. I’m not sure why it didn’t catch on with more people — it’s a great phone. I wouldn’t be too worried about it being a first generation Apple product; as much as they aggravate me sometimes, they’re usually pretty solid when they do decide to roll something out to the world. People are going to buy the heck out this phone, trust me.
Now, am I going to drop $2k on a phone?? Hell to the no.
It’s no coincidence that they rolled out this new rent-an-Apple program right before all the price hikes hit. They’re trying to lower the sticker shock.
I like it. A lot. But I could only justify it if I retired some other computer else. Writing and publishing with Elements CMS online could justify it, maybe… But I would still need to design with a Mac. Unless of course there is a plan for that too.
An interesting perspective for those of us in the USA: This is a comment from a 9 to 5 article
This is my perspective: How much does a cup of coffee cost ? $3 at Dunkin’. Multiply that x 30 days, you spent $90. Multiply that x 36 months = $3,240 So saying that the Iphone Duo is $2000 is the same thing as saying a cup of Dunkin’ Coffee is $3240. What do you have to show for that $3240 at the end of 3 years? Nothing. Go with a carrier plan, have them finance it for you for 36 months interest free and even without a trade-in, you are looking at $55.55/month. What will you have at the end of 3 years? A phone you can trade-in for another phone and probably get a $1000 or more trade-in credit. Now regarding trade-in credits. AT&T is offering a $1200 trade-in credit for iphone 14 and above. So now that $55.55/month drops to $22.20/month. So that $2000 astronomical price tag doesn’t look so bad after all, does it?
Yes, the Duo is expensive. But the original 8GB iPhone in 2007 would cost US$965 in inflation-adjusted dollars. There’s been just a bit of storage added, performance, cameras, screen size, etc.