Chrome refused to display my PureSchmaltz.com blog this morning ... Unsupported protocol

Chrome refused to display my PureSchmaltz.com blog this morning, claiming it was an unsupported protocol. Chrome was mute on what protocol was unsupported or how one might fix this difficulty. I suspect that this might have nothing to do with RapidWeaver, but I’m trying every imaginable tangent to understand how I might fix this. Later, it began working again. RWC 9.2.1, Sonoma 14.4.

The error you saw could stem from several different things, without being able to see it in real-time or having access to the server logs it would be difficult to troubleshoot.

Maybe it’s because your site doesn’t seem to be SSL secured. Do you have an SSL certificate installed? Chrome can be fussy when trying to load sites that aren’t SSL secured, often throwing warnings deterring people from clicking through to the site.

Also it looks like you are hosting your website on an Amazon EC2 instance. Perhaps there was some temporary issue with Amazon’s server.

Or maybe Chrome was trying to force an https connection and that caused the error if you don’t have an SSL installed. Or maybe you had a VPN running at the time? This post mentions both as a possibility.

There are some troubleshooting steps on Amazon’s Knowledge base here for when you are having troubles connecting to your site, perhaps something there will help.

But no, based on the error it wouldn’t be related to RapidWeaver.

1 Like