CMS ordering

I think I sent this as a DM to Steve W rather than posting, apologies for that.

Steve W posted a video about this a while ago but the video is no longer available.

My CMS list refers to upcoming events.

Sort order in CMS is driving me nuts! If I set the date field type as text and formatted as “2026-09-28” all my posts appear but not in date order. If I change the date field type to date then again they all show but again not in date order. If I then click on the date field of a post and use the date picker i am confronted with and set it to the actual (future) date then the post vanishes!

My posts relate to upcoming events. So as a final check I then with the date field set to type date and using the item date field and then set the date to before today it reappears.

So in conclusion If i set the date field to text it all works but does not sort correctly, If i set to type date if it is a future date it will not display it!

Any suggestion would be welcome, thanks

Addendum:

I even tried putting all the items in date order with retrospective dates. It still ignores the date order which seems to me to be random. I can find no explanation of the order they appear in. Not alphabetical or date.

Yes :+1: I posted about this but I was misunderstood…

Because I bulk edit the markdown files in a desktop folder - it processes them at different times..

When I load them back into elements - they are scrambled and there is no order.

Because this works and is sorted by the system in the webpage - I’ve just learned to deal with the inserted mess :slight_smile:

Perhaps :thinking: I am not understanding your problem…

But I think I am….

I think you do understand my problem, thanks!

It seems crazy to me you cannot have a bunch of items in a ‘post list’ and not be able to sort by date!

I agree that “ordering” in the CMS is something Realmac needs to spend more time on.

However, I’ll point out that there are two views about how that should work. One is that an .MD file should have a central, fixed-at-creation, date (and other fields). The other is that you can change-at-will date (and all fields) and order them in any way you’d like.

Sorting has always been a real pain (both to programmers and users). But perhaps there’s a need for Realmac to actually ask us as to how we want to sort CMS things.

I agree and understand, I just want to sort, I don’t care which method they adopt personally just so long as something works!

So after consulting Claude it suggested prefixing the title with a date something like 2026-11-06.

This works and posts are listed correctly in date order. I appreciate that is how the ‘add new file’ auto creates the filename but I had no idea that we could not junk that date front end to make the filename simpler. Anyhow you may not (probably not) enter the items in the order they should be displayed.

Mine are numbered and it doesn’t order them…

You have to order them with a date in US format 2026-09-28-myfile.md

p.s. this can be any date from 2000-01-01 to 2099-12-31, just so long as the dates define the order.

Yes might rename them…. For my 365 song a day project it’s currently 001 - 365

Tedious I agree! Good luck